BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
bimmerguy80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750 msport, 2015 650i GC

Question... I have a 2016 Msport that didn’t come with the display key from the factory but it of course has the charging slot in the arm rest. Can I buy a display key and have it programmed to my 7 series?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
NewsomBlair
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 740i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy80 View Post
Question... I have a 2016 Msport that didn’t come with the display key from the factory but it of course has the charging slot in the arm rest. Can I buy a display key and have it programmed to my 7 series?

Thanks
Yes, you can order one and your dealership can program it for you. That said, I wouldn?t spend he money. The Display Key is awfully large for the pocket, and doesn?t do anything the smartphone app doesn?t do...other than remote controlled parking (which you can?t add).

I think the Display Key is a cool gimmick but just not needed. I already put mine away and will probably never use it. If BMW can improve it so that it is as small as the normal fob, that will make it worthwhile.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2017, 02:42 AM   #3
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Yes, you can . Display Key is my daily driver so to speak and I can conventionally charge it via charging tray . It's not that big and fit in my jeans along with two Sony Xperia phones of course none of them is tall as Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra lol
      10-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
bimmerguy80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750 msport, 2015 650i GC

I bought a used display key from ebay... My bmw dealer said they can't wipe the old vin number off of the key. Any info on how to do that? I was told it could be done.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy80 View Post
I bought a used display key from ebay... My bmw dealer said they can't wipe the old vin number off of the key. Any info on how to do that? I was told it could be done.

Thanks
I suspect you cannot do this without a dealer for security reasons and even dealers may not be able to unprogram a VIN and reprogram a new VIN. I am surmising this from the inability to reprogram regular keys that are sold on eBay. There have been many warnings posted about that (with the notation that the only source for keys is a dealer and that proof of ownership is required) and I don't see why a display key would be different.
Appreciate 0