BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Please Help: Alignment Problem and Heavy / Tight Steering after Servicing

Thanks for everyone's insight, advice and support over the years, but help is needed again now, unfortunately.

My car was just at the dealer for an extended period of time for Auxiliary Water Pump, Fuel Injector, Transmission and both Front Axle and Hub replacement, but upon pick up this past week, it was pulling to the right and the steering felt tight and difficult to turn.

I drove back to the dealer, road tested with a foreman, who stated the steering wheel was off center to the left, so he put me back into the loaner. With a lot on my mind, I stupidly failed to complain of the heavy steering feel.

The following day, my advisor calls to state an alignment was done and that the car is ready. Upon road testing the car myself again, however, it was now pulling to the left, so I returned and got back into the loaner; no foreman or advisor available to speak with, as it was afterhours.

The following day, my advisor texts me that both foremen and he went for a road test together, that my car isn't pulling and any pulling is because my front left tire is more worn than my front right tire, which is bs, as the car wasn't pulling before. Nevertheless, I'm dealing with a personal emergency, can't get to the dealer during regular hours to argue, etc. and I pick up the car afterhours.

After a couple days of driving, I'm experiencing steering that grips and latches onto the road and doesn't re-center freely / easily. The steering wheel feels heavier / tighter to turn than before, but such heaviness / tightness isn't completely consistent, as it varies, leading to what I'm seeing as a high occurrence of over steer when turning; the steering digs in, doesn't easily return and overshoots thereby. I feel like I'm fighting with the steering wheel. I drive somewhat aggressively and noticed that making quick maneuvers is more difficult now, making things dangerous. I feel if I veer to the right and adjust back to center, the car is still going right slightly after the steering wheel is centered, which forces me to adjust to the left to get it tracking straight and vice versa. In sum, steering feel is very different now.

Alignment spec sheet attached as well as photos of my front wheels / tires, showing 0.5 cm difference in height, which a friend in the tire business tells me isn't enough to cause pulling. Also note center tread depth of the left tire is approx. 6/32nd's, while the right tire is approx. 7/32nd's.

Looking for help in dealing with this matter in the best way.

Thank you very much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0