BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
AWESOM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17M4;15G63AMG;14E63SAMG

Advice on Winter Tires

Hey Guys

Need to make a decision on winter rubber.
Currently have the 19 inch style 252 .
Wud these be safe to run through winter in SW Ontario?
If not cud I get 19 inch winters for these wheels and how advisable is it to change runflats every season?
If I go with 18 inch is the std BMW 18 inch wheel with the std tire good for winter?
Appreciate the input.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWESOM3 View Post
Hey Guys

Need to make a decision on winter rubber.
Currently have the 19 inch style 252 .
Wud these be safe to run through winter in SW Ontario?
If not cud I get 19 inch winters for these wheels and how advisable is it to change runflats every season?
If I go with 18 inch is the std BMW 18 inch wheel with the std tire good for winter?
Appreciate the input.
I believe that the 19" style 252 are All-season RFT tires. You should double check this though. All-seasons would be ok (but not great) for winter use.

When I bought my 750 it came with 20" summer performance tires, I had no choice, I HAD to get winter tires!

You can buy 19" RFT winter tires for your style 252 rims and get them swapped out. Just make sure that the place that will perform the swap has the proper machines to swap RFT tires! RFT tires require a different machine to perform the swap, a regular machine will not work!

I only get my car serviced at my local BMW dealership and they have the appropriate tools and machines to do the job right!

I had posted about winter tires for the 7 series before, you can find my previous post here:

http://www.7post.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=137

Honestly, I would HIGHLY recommend to you to go and get winter tires for your car if you intend on driving in the winter time. This is a big and heavy car and you need to get all the traction you can get!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
AWESOM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17M4;15G63AMG;14E63SAMG

For the record the style 252 wheels on my car are shod with Goodyear Excellence Runflats which are regarded as Grand Touring Summer tyres.
So I guess my decision now is whether to keep the 19s in winter and get a set of winters or swop out to the standard 18 inch wheel with all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Honestly if you have to swap anyways, get winters. They are infinitely better than all-seasons in snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Deep View Post
Honestly if you have to swap anyways, get winters. They are infinitely better than all-seasons in snow.
+1

When I still had my summer performance tires on the car, as soon as the temperature dipped down to about +3 degC the tires would loose grip and every time I tried to accelerate they would just spin

Now that I have the Pirelli Sottozero Series II's on my car, they have fantastic grip and it's gotten a LOT colder since then ...

http://www.pirellityre.com/web/catal...pe=CAR-SUV-VAN
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0