BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #45
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

While I don't agree with your stated actions, I get that you are angry about this unfortunate situation.

Would you feel the same way if the guy wasn't bloody rich? I mean, from the tone of your posts, you seem to have an issue with this guys wealth. Is it possible that you would feel less strongly about taking this guy out if he were a sod buster?

Just wondering....
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #46
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Knowing a bit about law and having kids= gonna beat you to a pulp?

Glad you're not a cop anymore. Even after all the responses, you still place 100% responsibility on the driver.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #47
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
You have to willingly accept responsibility for your own well being at a lot of racing events, even if a charity or something. There's a degree of risk we all take on when you're at any racing event.

Hell take a look at all the rally races where cars fly over turns into crowds, happens often, but everyone is assuming this risk before going.

Want to have some nice soft hearted safe fun, stay home and have NERF battles with your kids.
The fact that the driver was ruled at fault removes the spectator's assumption of risk argument.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #48
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Well this thread escalated in a way that nobody expected... I love how it went from what a tragedy so glad nobody died, to who has the better criminal defense team...

Yes, the driver lost control at a charity event that he donated to, but the onus isn't on him... The geniuses of the organization who set up what are basically pylons as safety blockades are the ones at fault... Accidents like this happen all the time, professional level, to whatever the heck it is that you want to call this level... Driver didn't do it on purpose, end discussion... Does it suck it happened? Yes - should he get beaten to a pulp when he's probably already going to get sued by over 23 people?? Probably not...

Now, I don't even know how to respond to the entire "I do me and you do you" (sounds like a circle jerk for beginners by the way) and the bravado of how ... nevermind, it's just a waste of time... Admirable that you would go to such lengths as to serve prison time for your actions for your children, but what concerns me more is your logic of thinking and the fact that you were law enforcement former or otherwise? Yikes...

So much win in that one post though... "There are talkers and there are doer's... Trust, I am the latter..." I pictured an 80's action movie as he lights a stick of dynamite with his cigar holding a rocket launcher in the other...

I say we go after the parents that had their kids standing behind the plastic barricades... And then while we're at it, lets hold the kids responsible because they should've done a better job playing on the barricades to knock them over so people can see how much safety went into the event planning... Same logic as beating up the driver... IMO...
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #49
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
While I don't agree with your stated actions, I get that you are angry about this unfortunate situation.

Would you feel the same way if the guy wasn't bloody rich? I mean, from the tone of your posts, you seem to have an issue with this guys wealth. Is it possible that you would feel less strongly about taking this guy out if he were a sod buster?

Just wondering....
To answer your question, absolutely makes no difference who was driving.

As far as the sentiments here, I'm ok with them. Hell we all have and are entitled to our opinions. As long as no personal attacks and respect are observed, life goes on. My threads and post history speak for my character. I never flame or start friction.
It's all good.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #50
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The fact that the driver was ruled at fault removes the spectator's assumption of risk argument.
Ruled at fault, and by whom? Politics/law enforcement? HA!

I agree, it does remove it, and of course the spectators are going to get the most sympathy, however, that doesn't change the fact that society today is careless, not proactive, and completely unaware of our surroundings.

Assess the situation you put yourself into, rationalize the risks (Hey, I'm in a turn with a plastic fucking barrier), and put yourself in the most ideal situation possible. People don't asses and think. They just do. I'd never stand behind a plastic barrier with my children where there's an apex, but that's just me.
Appreciate 3
      02-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #51
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
First off, this took place in Malta, so legal concepts of the US don't apply.

Second, you live in California, a comparative fault state. You should know better.

Edit: Also, :facepalm: at the people's comments that they would beat the driver into a pulp. Until there's a full investigation as to the cause of the accident, there's no way you would know, if you were a spectator at the event, who was at fault. Could have a been a manufacturer defect. Heck, someone with a vendetta against the driver could have messed with the steering mechanism. The point is: you just don't know. But yeah, let's just go beat up the driver cuz we're mad. [And yes, I have 2 little kids, and if they were injured, my first instinct would be to call an ambulance, not find someone to punch.]

Last edited by schoy; 02-05-2016 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #52
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
So much win in that one post though... "There are talkers and there are doer's... Trust, I am the latter..." I pictured an 80's action movie as he lights a stick of dynamite with his cigar holding a rocket launcher in the other...

problem: -Crowd is on same level as raceway, nothing to stop sideways momentum which is going to happen very frequently, sooner or later.
-barriers not filled with water, organisers have zero safety awareness or are just being totally irresponsible. Victims should sue organizers, if they have no assets, the owners of the location, so no one will let fly-by-nights hold potential deadly events without track record /insurance.

OP's heart is in the right place, but being totally emotional/irrational.. yes, I would find it hilarious if he challenged an NBA player to a fight for jumping into the crowd, storm on to the golf course because his child was hit by a ball, jump into the aquarium because the dolphin splashed him...
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #53
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I would love to make this a poll.

"Should the driver get beat."
"Should the driver not get bead."

Then, take the same voters and ask them questions about police brutality. Would be interesting to see if there are any similarities in where people put blame in different instances.

back on topic - I hope that every heals well.

(not my video) But on the last lap of a 25 hour endurance race, everyone is able to hug this wall. Each year, I stand there I am quite nervous about any cars coming in hot out of the last turn, trying to save it, and coming at the crowd.

That wall is a much strong barricade than what is show in OPs video.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #54
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Also, I'm pretty sure Paul Bailey has more driving experience than 99% of the people here. From the looks of it, the Maltese government needed a scapegoat rather than put the blame on the government's failure to ensure the proper safety precautions for this charity-event rally.

From http://tfsport.co.uk/drivers

PAUL BAILEY

Paul Bailey is a relative newcomer to the racing scene but has achieved a great deal of success since first indulging in his passion for motorsport in 2010.

The Rutland-based driver won the Pirelli Ferrari Open at the first time of asking and has been a feature in the Britcar MSA British Endurance Championship ever since, finishing runner-up in Class 1 with a Ferrari 430 GT2 in 2012 before taking top honours the following year with an unrestricted Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3.

In addition, Bailey and teammate Andy Schulz sealed the 2013 Avon Tyres British GTC title with a Ferrari 458 Challenge and both championships proved to be precursors to a maiden full-time British GT campaign in striking GT3-spec Aston Martin machinery under the Horsepower Racing with TF Sport banner.

2014 Maiden Avon Tyres British GT Championship campaign with an Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3 under the Horsepower Racing with TF Sport banner.

2013 Britcar MSA British Endurance Championship Class 1 CHAMPION with an unrestricted Aston Martin V12 Vantage. Avon Tyres British GTC CHAMPION with Ferrari 458 Challenge. Runner-up in Pirelli Ferrari Open Class 4.

2012 Runner-up in Britcar MSA British Endurance Championship Class 1 while running a Ferrari 430 GT2. Runner-up in Pirelli Ferrari Open Class 4 using Ferrari 458 Challenge.

2011 First full season in Britcar MSA British Endurance Championship. Runner-up in Pirelli Ferrari Open Class 4 with Ferrari 458 Challenge.

2010 Pirelli Ferrari Open Class 3 CHAMPION with Ferrari 430 Challenge.

Contested selected rounds of Britcar MSA British Endurance Championship.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #55
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

I don't see how hard it is to jump over a car that's only about 3.5 feet tall. All 23 of those people had a chance had they been paying attention. Except for that 6-yr old because that would equate to me being able to perform a 5ft standing vertical jump; so I can't blame the kid.

just kidding. But honestly I would have if I saw it careening towards me.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #56
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyhere View Post
The people organizing the event are the only ones at fault here.
I agree.

Why is everyone up TXSTYLEs ass?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #57
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I agree.

Thanks for the support. Well, like I said, we all have an opinion. I do find the bandwagon posts a bit shady. But hey, it's the Internet. Life goes on...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #58
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I can see both sides and it's easy for a sideline jockey to analyze but even pros lose it. Things go wrong, has happened to me. Malicious intent wasn't involved. Driver made error and organizers didn't plan too well.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #59
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

To be fair. I understand where Marcus is coming from. I'd be high on emtion and get probably would let it get the best of me in that situation too. That being said, it obvious that the driver didn't do it on purpose or was he needlessly careless. It was just one of those things.

But I just don't understand why a bunch of people are jumping down his throat about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #60
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
To be fair. I understand where Marcus is coming from. I'd be high on emtion and get probably would let it get the best of me in that situation too. That being said, it obvious that the driver didn't do it on purpose or was he needlessly careless. It was just one of those things.

But I just don't understand why a bunch of people are jumping down his throat about it.
Well coming from someone who would give it to 'Gary' (of 7 series loaner fame) for being 'entitled'.. I can see where you are coming from.

I'm not going to scream "dat's racist", but obviously you feel both you and OP are in the right on this, and that the race of all participents is just coincidental.
Is is not 'entitled' behavior also to take the law into your own hands, this time not for the greater good but to avenge yourself?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #61
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Well coming from someone who would give it to 'Gary' (of 7 series loaner fame) for being 'entitled'.. I can see where you are coming from.

I'm not going to scream "dat's racist", but obviously you feel both you and OP are in the right on this, and that the race of all participents is just coincidental.
Is is not 'entitled' behavior also to take the law into your own hands, this time not for the greater good but to avenge yourself?
What?
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #62
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I agree.

You agree that the people organizing the event are the only ones at fault here and then in the next sentence you ask why posters are not agreeing with the OP? That makes no sense. The OP is blaming the driver and would take the law into his own hands and assault him. If the people organizing the event are the only ones at fault and the OP is going on and on about how he would beat and sue the driver and be willing to go to jail for it, how is that logical if its the organizers are the only ones at fault for putting the spectators in harms way?

I just don't get it. If the driver had lost control on a part of the racetrack with no spectators he would just be a driver that went out of control. It happens on every racetrack every day. The notion that because he lost it in exactly the place where the race organizers failed to put up proper barriers the penalty for his mistake is elevated to a beating or death is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:39 PM   #63
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:46 PM   #64
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Thanks for the support. Well, like I said, we all have an opinion. I do find the bandwagon posts a bit shady. But hey, it's the Internet. Life goes on...
Maybe we're all just misunderstanding your OP. If you were saying that if anything happens to your wife or child you may be so consumed with grief and anger that you could see yourself going batshit crazy. So crazy that you can see yourself beating the person you perceived to be the cause of the harm. That is something that many could identify with, even if they don't think there is a chance of them reacting that way.

But your OP sounded a lot like you'd make a conscious decision to beat someone you perceived to be at fault within seconds of it happening. Judge and Jury type of stuff.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2521130

A crane collapsed in NYC killing a man and injuring 3 others. If one of the injured or killed was your loved one, based on your OP in this thread, i think everyone in this thread expects you to drag the crane operator out of the wreckage and proceed to beat him, maybe to death if no-one attempted to stop you. That's something that's hard to wrap our heads around. But again, if you're just saying that you'd be so hammered by the travesty that you're not sure what you'd do and fear you'd beat the driver/operator to death, i think most can say even though that sounds fucked up, they can understand you feeling that way.

Kind of like the father who shot the drunk driver who rear ended his out of fuel truck while his two sons were pushing it, killing them both. Lots of different opinions on that one and there are sure to be many different opinions about your proposed reaction to an accident which has plenty of blame to go around.

Tragedies happen every day and everyone will react differently to them. A crazy sounding emotional response doesn't mean one is a bad person in the same way that someone with almost no reaction doesn't mean they are soulless and aren't effected by the tragedy.

Good night to all.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 02-05-2016 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-06-2016, 12:41 AM   #65
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Those 918s are the worst to drive....they said
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #66
3GFX