BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
bobback
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching

Paint warranty advice needed - major screw up by local Ford body shop

We bought a new Platinum Ford super duty last summer. Despite how meticulous I am, inspecting vehicle before purchase I missed 2 tiny rocks in clear coat on paint. Yep, you read that correct.

One in the hood and one in passenger front door.

Long story short...

Door has been repainted by local Ford dealer 3x. 1st time due to correcting rock in paint.

2nd time due to "divots" (for lack of better term) in bottom quarter of door. I was shocked that Ford let truck go looing that way, as it was me that caught this error about a week later.

3rd time due to paint not matching. Again, was me that caught it.

Hood has to be repainted again due to some crap in paint. In detailing hood there was so much buffing compound in clear bra line that Ford had to remove clear bra as could not clean. Point being very poor clean up.

After Ford having truck for 2 weeks, I pick up truck yesterday and not detailed. Wasn't surprised based on pass experience with these guys.

So I take truck through touch less car was this morning, and clear coat overspray all over windshield, and pretty much all windows.

And clear coat overspray on roof of truck, fog lights, black molding...well pretty much everywhere.

So...wtf do I do know? As the Ford body shop is obviously incompetent, so struggling wondering what next.

Take to a competent body shop and try to make Ford pay for it?

Ask them to make me a sweet deal on a new truck?

Talk to an attorney? I REALLY don't want to do this but I'm at my wits end with this body shop being there is NO quality control. And truck has progressively become worse.

C'mon, clear coat overspray? They obviously didn't tape off a f'n thing.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bobback; 06-25-2016 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Given the number of times painted I would go for replacement. The paint has a higher probability of failing with that much film build. I am not surprised by initial quality, I am always amazed at how bad truck paint jobs are when considering purchase price. The back of cab can have almost no color applied.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
bobback
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
Given the number of times painted I would go for replacement. The paint has a higher probability of failing with that much film build. I am not surprised by initial quality, I am always amazed at how bad truck paint jobs are when considering purchase price. The back of cab can have almost no color applied.
They claim paint warrantied for life so nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

It's a truck. Go power slide it thru some barbwire and rub some dirt on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep

Where I work we guarantee work for life also, but this week we had 2 returns after less than 5 years. Its a really good shop too, DRP for 3 insurance companies.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobback View Post
So...wtf do I do know? As the Ford body shop is obviously incompetent, so struggling wondering what next.

Take to a competent body shop and try to make Ford pay for it?
I don't see what else you can do if I'm honest.

Of course they will offer to make it right in their own shop, but it's not like they haven't already tried to do that, few times in fact.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep

I would talk to sales manager and body shop manager together and see what can be done about putting you in a new vehicle. Bring dealership owner in as well. Hold body shop accountable for damaging value of truck. Bring documentation and have what you want pre-planned in your mind. So when they don't have a plan you can give yours. I worked at a large dealership body shop and know how it works. Sales manager trumps body shop manager and owner needs to know what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I think the first mistake was not being willing to overlook minor flaws in the paint, especially on a truck. Yes, I understand new Ford pickups prices aren't cheap, but it is a truck after all.

0.0 of the new cars sold in this country are sold without at least one flaw. I absolutely promise you I could find one flaw in ever single new car out there. I had someone challenge me to this about two years ago, so we went to a Mercedes-Benz dealer, an Infiniti dealer, and an Audi dealer. I won. Any time you let someone try to correct a minor paint flaw, you introduce the possibility of ending up with a result that is worse than what you started off with. Unless it is a glaring problem (delamination, color match, high amount of debris in the paint), the chances are you're going to fix one problem and end up with three new ones. You are now discovering this.

Keep in mind too that returning the same truck to the same body shop and the same painters over and over again is going to result in LESS motivation on their part to fix the complaints that you have. I promise you they are beyond sick of looking at your truck, and that's not a good frame of mind to be working with.

My advice would be to talk to your dealer, try to get them to agree to have a different Ford dealer redo the job, and don't expect perfection from any thing or anyone. 'Nibs' in the paint are typically caused by small airborne particles, 'divots' are referred to as fisheyes and those are tyically caused by some sort of contaminant being present on the surface, usually skin oil. It is impossible to remove the possibility of contaminants being present in a paint booth, no matter what style of booth you use (cross draft, down draft, etc) or how often you change your filters.

One other thing to consider; see if you can find out if Ford uses waterborne or solvent based paints at the time of manufacture. If they're using solvent based, go with shop that still uses solvent based paint system, and ditto if Ford is using waterbornes.

good luck.

Last edited by Chihuahua; 06-26-2016 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

To quote myself:
Quote:
Trucks these days are the Cadillacs of yesteryear. With options these things go north of 60K easy, 70K is not unheard of. The auto manufacturers know that trucks are the ultimate ****-measuring tool and they are laughing all the way to the bank. I can't imagine doing the stuff that you are SUPPOSED to do to a truck to these suburban warrior show-cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #10
bobback
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
I think the first mistake was not being willing to overlook minor flaws in the paint, especially on a truck. Yes, I understand new Ford pickups prices aren't cheap, but it is a truck after all.

0.0 of the new cars sold in this country are sold without at least one flaw. I absolutely promise you I could find one flaw in ever single new car out there. I had someone challenge me to this about two years ago, so we went to a Mercedes-Benz dealer, an Infiniti dealer, and an Audi dealer. I won. Any time you let someone try to correct a minor paint flaw, you introduce the possibility of ending up with a result that is worse than what you started off with. Unless it is a glaring problem (delamination, color match, high amount of debris in the paint), the chances are you're going to fix one problem and end up with three new ones. You are now discovering this.

Keep in mind too that returning the same truck to the same body shop and the same painters over and over again is going to result in LESS motivation on their part to fix the complaints that you have. I promise you they are beyond sick of looking at your truck, and that's not a good frame of mind to be working with.

My advice would be to talk to your dealer, try to get them to agree to have a different Ford dealer redo the job, and don't expect perfection from any thing or anyone. 'Nibs' in the paint are typically caused by small airborne particles, 'divots' are referred to as fisheyes and those are tyically caused by some sort of contaminant being present on the surface, usually skin oil. It is impossible to remove the possibility of contaminants being present in a paint booth, no matter what style of booth you use (cross draft, down draft, etc) or how often you change your filters.

One other thing to consider; see if you can find out if Ford uses waterborne or solvent based paints at the time of manufacture. If they're using solvent based, go with shop that still uses solvent based paint system, and ditto if Ford is using waterbornes.

good luck.
My gut told me not to get any work done to begin with. But body shop assured me truck would be good as new, had a weak moment and took their word for it.

And yes, I was thinking how the dealer is probably getting sick and tired of seeing the truck. Despite them f'n things up. Just how society is these days, no one wants to take responsibility for their actions.

Last edited by bobback; 06-26-2016 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #11
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobback View Post
My gut told me not to get any work done to begin with. But body shop assured me truck would be good as new, had a weak moment and took their word for it.

And yes, I was thinking how the dealer is probably getting sick and tired of seeing the truck. Despite them f'n things up. Just how society is these days.
very understandable. at this point I'd do everything in my power to put the vehicle in someone else's hands to try to get your issues resolved.

best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It's a truck. Go power slide it thru some barbwire and rub some dirt on it.
+1. You will do worse to it in no time. Could have just left it alone.
Appreciate 0