BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #23
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
I can certainly park my own car... but for those who can't.. or don't want to... I'll take this as a win for my vehicle also. And a loss for Valets.

Let the 7 series coding begin...
This always gets me, when it comes to technology its not a matter of fact that "we don't need it" its a matter of fact that we can.

Do we need HUD, heated wheels, trunk releases from sensors, heated seats, GPS, closing mirrors, led, Xenons, sunroofs, DCT, turbos, brake assist, ABS, cameras, many other unnecessary items. We don't really need them its just that we CAN use them if we want, but if we don't have them we can't.

I love my sunroof, don't use it everyday, but when I do I love the openness it provides when I do. Is there a need? not really.

If you research BMW innovations, one would find that German cars have pretty much been the innovators of automotive firsts, including the first gas powered motor in a car. Many probably thought too, we don't need that, that's not gonna work.
Not to take away from german automakers but it were Japanese who gave us reliability. IMO one of the most valuable achievements in the industry since "invention of cars for all" by Ford.
Reliability, how about this for reliability, 08 e60 M5, I drove the shit out that car for 90,000 miles, never did anything but one battery and a few oil changes, that were for the first 50g miles included in the cost of the car. Now that's reliability!
Next time try 250k miles before you post
      01-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #24
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
Sorry to pop your cherry but I'm not talking about a low revving 2.3 L Honda Accord. I'm talking about a 5.0 litre 507hp 384 lb-ft torque at 7800 RPM M5 S85 stock v10 motor.

Never to replace anything to do with motor parts, brakes, sensors, etc inside or outside side including not even front and rear alignment, is amazing in itself for 90g on any car when driven as a dd hard.
Couldn't have said it better haha! And there's another "reliability" angle you missed here (as compared to a 2.3L Honda Accord) -- the reliable RUSH you get every time you're behind the wheel. I can't imagine anyone who's a driving enthusiast hopping behind the wheel of the Honda appliance you described and saying it "feeds his soul". There's a price to be paid for that for sure, but that's why we're all here in this forum, right? We love BMWs because by and large they do just that.
Surprise! Go to the track it's 50% s2000. Reliable doesn't correlate with performance all the time.
      01-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #25
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbnda View Post
This is a show-off feature, it takes longer to park the car this way. Unless you are on a very difficult/tight space to park, but even in that situation nobody would want his 7Series on the possibility to get hit by the door of the cars on the sides.
If someone would try to park a car this way outside a restaurant or plaza in my city, he would earn a "clown treatment" from the people around, maybe some tomatoes, buuhhhs and insults and of course envy lol.

If I had this in my car I would use it maybe at home just to geek for the first weeks.
Agreed -- in public parking lots (car parks) it'd be ridiculous and a little douche-y at that. However, the point made earlier about tight garages at home resonate with me (since I have a very tight single-car garage). This feature could take the pain out of tossing the car in the garage -- would be awesome not to have to worry about leaving enough space to get out after switching it off.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 1