BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
NC F82
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F82

Dumping the F02 for a E60 550i or M5

So I've posted a couple of times about some issues with my uncle's new F02 750Li, mainly in regards to the turbo lag. He's had it since about April and has about 7,000 miles on it, and has said it is the worst car he has ever had. He is considering dumping it for a E60 550i or M5. His F02 stickered for $87K, anyone have any thoughts on how much of a hit he is going to take if he decides to trade it in. He told me to go talk to our salesmen and find out for him, but I thought I would get ya'll input first.
      12-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
TheGooch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Wow, worst car he has ever owned...I'd be curious to know what his best were. I had an 08 M5 and at low rpms the F02 feels like a torque monster compared to the M5.

He is going to take a BIG hit on trading it in no question about it. BUT he maybe able to work a very good deal on the outgoing E60 platform.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
Wow, worst car he has ever owned...I'd be curious to know what his best were. I had an 08 M5 and at low rpms the F02 feels like a torque monster compared to the M5.

He is going to take a BIG hit on trading it in no question about it. BUT he maybe able to work a very good deal on the outgoing E60 platform.
+1 on the previously owned cars, I'd be interested to see what he is comparing the F02 against!

+1 on the low rpm torque, the 4.4l TTV8 simply has a LOT of low end torque that puts a big smile on your face every time you squeeze the accelerator a little further
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06WNCBMW View Post
So I've posted a couple of times about some issues with my uncle's new F02 750Li, mainly in regards to the turbo lag. He's had it since about April and has about 7,000 miles on it, and has said it is the worst car he has ever had. He is considering dumping it for a E60 550i or M5. His F02 stickered for $87K, anyone have any thoughts on how much of a hit he is going to take if he decides to trade it in. He told me to go talk to our salesmen and find out for him, but I thought I would get ya'll input first.
Did your uncle discuss or brought this issue to your dealers attention?

They can probably either reprogram or reset the system so that it can re-learn your uncles driving and acceleration behavior ?!?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
NC F82
United_States
Rep

Well he is on his 4th 7. His previous cars in order have been: 06 E90 330i, 07 Merc E350, 04 E66 745Li, 01 E38 740i Sport, & 98 E38 740iL. He loved the E38 (but didn't like the Sport edition, if he has a 7 it needs to be more smooth riding than that Sport offered, so all his other ones have NOT had the sport package). He loved the E66, but hated the design of it and the whole transmission knob being on the steering column. He HATED the Merc (mainly because it wasn't a BMW) enough to where he traded with his wife and took her 06 E90 and gave her the Merc! He loved the E90 with the manual but I think was ready to be back in a 7 (he is 6'5'' and likes the room) He loves the design and layout of the F02, but just thinks the engine and transmission is the worst. His biggest gripe with the car is because of the turbo lab, it is just killing him. He hates the feeling of slowing down to make a right hand turn and when he gets through the turn and goes to accelerate and the car just doesn't respond fast enough and his back end is just sticking out. He says he is always waiting to just be hit in the back because of that. Then when he gives it another little punch to get through the corner and those turbos kick in it's just a huge punch of acceleration so he is also waiting to ram into someone in front of him (and he has almost done it before!)

He has taken it in to the dealership several times and they have tried reprogramming it and even done the spark plug swap out when they recalled them, but nothing is working. He feels that with a car this big and this expensive it should be smooth and comfy and he shouldn't have to baby the accelerator so much. I did get to drive it for a couple of days and I'm with him on the complaints, the only way to really get the car to respond somewhat nicely is to be in Sport+ with the transmission in manual and drive it really aggressively and that's just not really something you want to have to do with a 750Li in daily city traffic, every so often or on the highway sure, but not cruising through downtown Charlotte.

Hopefully if he decides to get a E60 he can get a good deal on one since it is going to be the last year for it...
      12-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Domenic
Rep
Drives: 7 Series (F01-02)

Hi all guys, I am the 1st owner of new 7 series (CBU "Import from Germany"), 740Li in Thailand.
Price: THB 12.8 million (USD 384,615)

I faced a lot of problem such as; delay start engine, low & high pressure pump failure,
Dealer did many time to fixed-it and change many parts of it but problems still there.

For example, the signal "Engine Fault Reduce Power" pop-up often in Sport, S+ mode.
Even normal mode was also shown up that Dealer & Tech team of BMW can't fixed-it.

Finally, BMW (Thailand) accepted to get the car back and replace with brand new 7 series
(CKD "make in Thailand"). I got to wait until end of Jan'10 for 1st batch of next year
production of Y2010.

Just wanna share my experiences...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06WNCBMW View Post
If his MSRP was $87k that means he had basically no options on the car. That may help to explain some of his dissatisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
Hi all guys, I am the 1st owner of new 7 series (CBU "Import from Germany"), 740Li in Thailand.
Price: THB 12.8 million (USD 384,615)
Wow... $395k for an F02. That seems a little nuts.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I don't think that you can just do a straight currency conversion for cars like this.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
If his MSRP was $87k that means he had basically no options on the car. That may help to explain some of his dissatisfaction.

Wow... $395k for an F02. That seems a little nuts.

for Real BachaDhon! for that much you could have bought a house
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
just so we're clear, what you're uncle is experiencing isn't turbo lag, its a poorly programmed accelorator pedal. we've all complained about it and hopefully BMW is working on a software fix. Tell you uncle he should talk to his dealer about a possible buy-back.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
NC F82
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
It's pretty nicely equipped with the Camera Package, Heads-Up, CA, Heated seats, Hi-Fi Sound, SAT Radio. He didn't want the sport package because he didn't like the one in his 740i and he didn't want all the upgraded seats because he is usually the only one in the car and didn't even use all the features of them when he had them in his 745Li. It's still pretty damn nicely equipped (as it should be for $87K) I wish a stock 3er came with all the stuff he has!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
just so we're clear, what you're uncle is experiencing isn't turbo lag, its a poorly programmed accelorator pedal. we've all complained about it and hopefully BMW is working on a software fix. Tell you uncle he should talk to his dealer about a possible buy-back.
This is the first I'm hearing of the accelorator pedal, you got anymore info on it? We always thought it was the turbo lag, but if there is a potential resolution in the future he might not have to go through the hassle of swapping. I know your mom has an F01/02 right? Are ya'll having the same kinda issues?

You would think having bought 15+ vehicles from the same dealership and SA they would consider working with us on a buyback, but everytime we mention to our SA he acts like oh well not my problem. We (my family) are all rapidly becoming irritated with our local BMW dealership. Sucks that it's the only one in town
      12-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
we havent had it confirmed that its not the turbo. but it makes sense that it would be simply a computer issue in a drive-by-wire car. either it bothers your uncle more than it does my mom or his is worse than ours.
Appreciate 0