BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

04-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #45
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Did it occur to you that the fact the race is 2 laps shorter implies the laps are longer than back then? They don't just randomly change race distances.
Obviously you didn't watch the race.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #46
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I suppose that makes Vettel's blocking of his Ricciardo a bit less costly since it's unlikely he would have caught and passed Rosberg a lap sooner. It was funny to see Vettel being passed by a Cateram. I wonder if he's mature enough to understand that it's more important for Red Bull to get constructor points (like millions of dollars more important) than for him to one-up his teammate?
      04-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #47
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I suppose that makes Vettel's blocking of his Riccardo a bit less costly since it's unlikely he would have caught and passed Rossberg a lap sooner. It was funny to see Vettel being passed by a Cateram. I wonder if he's mature enough to understand that it's more important for Red Bull to get constructor points (like millions of dollars more important) than for him to one-up his teammate?
Probably not...
Back then Constructor Championship will just falls on to Christian Horner's lap when Vettel waving his finger~

But makes me wonder, will Riccairdo really catch up and pass Alonso if Vettel let Daniel pass. By the end of the race, they are about 1.5 sec apart, and the race was cut a lap shorter. Perhaps a fight if Daniel didn't get held up, and in full race distance.
      04-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #48
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Obviously you didn't watch the race.
I watched the race, and was also aware that the flag was mistakenly shown a lap early. I didn't know that it resulted in an actual reduction in race laps by the FIA. Perhaps when I fast-forwarded past the post race commercials, the race recap, and the playing of the national anthems, I missed that point. Please accept my humblest apologies.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #49
BloxRacing
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Probably not...
Back then Constructor Championship will just falls on to Christian Horner's lap when Vettel waving his finger~

But makes me wonder, will Riccairdo really catch up and pass Alonso if Vettel let Daniel pass. By the end of the race, they are about 1.5 sec apart, and the race was cut a lap shorter. Perhaps a fight if Daniel didn't get held up, and in full race distance.
I was thinking the same thing once I saw the final results, but somehow I don't think Ricardo would have still passed Alonso. It would have been very close and made for a great finish to watch though.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #50
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
It was funny to see Vettel being passed by a Cateram....
Vettels reaction reminded me of the Irvine/Senna incident so I was glad to see I was not the only one:

From http://www.planet-f1.com/features/92...ers-Chinese-GP

Overtaking Move Of The Race
Lap 33 Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham on Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull.
Kobayashi pulled off an Edmund Irvine-like unlapping of himself. In a week where we're remembering 20 years since that fateful day at Imola where we lost Senna, Kobayashi hustled his Caterham past an out-of-tyres Sebastian Vettel to take a lap back. It was similar to Irvine nipping back past Ayrton Senna at Suzuka - for which Senna had a major sense of humour failure and went and slapped the Ulsterman afterwards. That didn't happen at Shanghai. But it was a great moment and an indication of just how much fun Sebastian is having in the middle of the pack.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #51
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Didn't realize it was that bad. That puts this year's F1 cars slower than Indy cars? If memory serves, F1 had been about 7 seconds quicker than Indy cars and now F1 is 8 seconds slower than at it's peak? That's kinda depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRO View Post
Chinese Grand Prix (Shanghai):
2004: fastest lap Michael Schumacher - 1:32.238
2014: fastest lap Nico Rosberg - 1:40.402

Conclusion: 10 years later, the best Formula 1 car is more than 8 seconds slower on this circuit. That is huge, and tells a lot about the negative impact of regulation changes on this sport.

Later edit: or, to go further with this rant:
2004: Rubens Barrichello (winner) completed 56 laps in 1:29:26.985
2014: Lewis Hamilton (winner) completed 54 laps in 1:33:28.338
Which means that in 2004 Barrichello would had time to stop at the pit, get off the car and gulp a burger, get back in, run 2 extra laps (!) and still win against the best car+driver of 2014...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:05 AM   #52
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
It was similar to Irvine nipping back past Ayrton Senna at Suzuka - for which Senna had a major sense of humour failure and went and slapped the Ulsterman afterwards.
It was a bit of an over reaction by Senna but to be fair Irvine did have a fairly high douche bag to talent ratio.
That planetf1 review of the race is spot on.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 04-22-2014 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 0