BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Talking My cheap car audio/video recording setup (~$100 bucks)

Hi Everyone!

I thought I would post this here for those interested in a great setup for recording your car, whether it be for when you go to car shows, or when going to the track. If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it to the right place.

I didn't want to spend 400+ on a GoPro and 200+ on some magical audio device, along with all of the required accessories. While for professionals I do certainly see the value, but for the average joe like me, this was the perfect setup.

NOTE: It seems youtube made the audio and video quality slightly worse. Please turn up the speakers. I'm blaming iMovie's direct upload to youtube.

Video:
I bought a Xiaomi Yi action Camera for 67$.

Here is a mini review:
It shoots 1080p 60 FPS.
It is fully wireless and has a great app (for iOS and Android) where you control everything from, even software updates for the camera.
Xiaomi seems to be the "Apple of China". The quality of the device is amazing for the price, as this has similar specs to the 299$ Go Pro.

Since this is being put on the car, where it might be thrown off, you could purchase multiple of these without worrying about your expensive camera .

Battery life is about 2 hours, more if you turn off wireless.

It uses Micro SD cards, I used one I had previously, which I think was 64 gigs and cost me ~30 bucks.

For the car mount, I bought a 3 prong suction cup holder for GoPros. It cost me 9 bucks. I also got a case for it (underwater proof), which cost $15.

Audio
I bought an Audio-Technica ATR-3350IS. It simply attaches to the audio port of your iPhone/Android. The cable it came with is VERY LONG, so I had no problem routing the cable out the window, and placing it under the license plate near the rear view camera, away from the wind noise. It cost me about $30 bucks. I just used blue tape to make sure the cord did not scratch my car.

Since the Audio Technica attaches to your phone, you can easily buy a phone mount ($15) and a fisheye lens (5$) to get a driver view inside the vehicle.

Here's an example (note: i was using an older iPhone 4)

Video Editing
I used iMovie to merge the audio and video. The Xioami Yi has audio, but it was all wind noise.
      08-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
sounds good
      08-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Blackhawks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 x35i

Sweet ride... great exhaust note... and even nicer seats.
Appreciate 0