BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

07-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #23
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Hmm let's think about that one.

Hydrogen will burn at a ~4% concentration in air and needs very little catalyzing agents to produce a 'big bang'

Natural gas needs significantly higher concentrations and more energetic catalysts to release it's potential energy.

The sun is powered by Hydrogen and not Methane.

The Hindenburg was an airship filled with Hydrogen and you all know the outcome of that.

Rocketships are powered by Hydrogen, not Natural Gas.

etc etc etc

Reason why NY/NJ bans Hydrogen in tunnels (whether they thought about it or not):

Hydrogen is lighter than air and could collect at the tops of the tunnels and ignite and cause major damage. Out in the open H2 will harmlessly vent to the atmo and have less of a chance of igniting.
I think the sun part is bit over the top. The sun works on nuclear fusion, which isn't how the Hydrogen 7 works. That said...I'd agree with the rest of it.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #24
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I think the sun part is bit over the top. The sun works on nuclear fusion, which isn't how the Hydrogen 7 works. That said...I'd agree with the rest of it.
Yeah, the H7 doesn't use fusion just yet, but just wait til we go back to the future Marty!

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #25
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Better check your facts again bud.

I love how the laymen try to say that H2 propulsion is safe. You wait until the first bimmer goes critical mass on the NJ Parkway and you'll be one of the first ones screaming that Congress should never have let them do this.

When the car is parked for extended periods, the evaporating hydrogen builds pressure that must be safely released. A boil-off system mixes the hydrogen with air, runs it through a catalytic converter and releases water vapor through a rear-bumper vent.

Redundant safety systems abound. If the pressure inside the tank rises too high, a vent in the roof can release gaseous hydrogen directly. And if the car happened to roll over and block the roof opening, hydrogen would reroute through the underbody. A hydrogen detection system makes the car’s four door locks glow red to warn of leaking fuel in the trunk, fuel nozzle area or under the hood; windows automatically open if hydrogen should enter the cabin.
The biggest safety issue is storage. The main explosiveness problems relate to storing H2 as a liquid or pressurized gas. Guess we'll just have to wait for someone to develop a hydride that is light enough and economical enough for mainstream use. That shouldn't take more than 50-100 years...
      07-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #26
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Hydrogen isn't any more dangerous than the thousands of gallons of gasoline that transit the tunnels every minute in the gas tanks of the cars going through the tunnel.
Well, you'd be wrong..Gotta love how people just spew crap out into the world wide web with no research.

It has the ability to spontaneously combust..in effect an explosion. Gasoline tanks do not generally behave in this manner.

Hydrogen gas is MUCH more volatile than gasoline vapors.

And I agree with this law...it would kind of be like the movie Daylight with Sylvester Stallone if it ever happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #27
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Well, you'd be wrong..Gotta love how people just spew crap out into the world wide web with no research.

It has the ability to spontaneously combust..in effect an explosion. Gasoline tanks do not generally behave in this manner.

Hydrogen gas is MUCH more volatile than gasoline vapors.

And I agree with this law...it would kind of be like the movie Daylight with Sylvester Stallone if it ever happened.
tho i totally agree that hydrogen gas is def volatile, its research and design....u gotta give it a go sooner or later rite?

so to ban it from goin thru nj/ny kinda sux. might as well nit run it thru heart of ny cuz ppl afraid it'll blow up the block. idk...

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #28
H2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

BMW supposedly did some testing during development concerning what would happen if the hydrogen fuel tank was punctured, and supposedly the tank's wall thickness was influenced by that testing. At a higher thickness, the tank could "explode" when punctured. At the thickness used in the vehicle, the tank supposedly will not explode when punctured; the hydrogen will just escape rapidly. At least this is what some engineers in BMW's CleanEnergy Program working at BMW's engineering center in Oxnard, CA told me. These are the same people who man the 24 hour hotline supporting the H7.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #29
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Hydrogen isn't any more dangerous than the thousands of gallons of gasoline that transit the tunnels every minute in the gas tanks of the cars going through the tunnel.
exactly, just more B.S. from the government.......

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #30
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
exactly, just more B.S. from the government.......

it's way more dangerous than conventional gasoline. especially when dealing with tunnels and closed spaces, which is exactly what this thread is about.