BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

"Dumb Questions" & Tips/Tricks

post up questions you can't find answers to elsewhere or offer cool trick/tips not readily known. i'll start with two questions:

1) can the rear side sunshades be controlled from the driver's seat? i checked the manual and can't find the answer. this is a needed function when i'm attempting to change lanes at night and cannot see out the rear passenger window because the shade is up. i could lower the window, which would lower the shade, but that's not acceptable if it's raining. the rear window and rear moon roof shades are controllable from the driver's seat, why aren't the side shades?

2) why does the rear tablet power on when the ignition is shut off? when i power the car up, the tablet powers up, which makes sense. after a time of non-use, it goes to sleep. again, makes sense. once i arrive at my destination and power down the car, the tablet powers up and i have to reach into the backseat to power it off. granted, it would probably power down/sleep after some predetermined time, but when i'm parked in a public place at night, the brightly lit tablet in a dark car could attract unwanted attention.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
gpicarel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750i

Garage List
2016 BMW 740i  [0.00]
1- On the driver's door, hold the button down to operate the roller sun blinds on the rear window and on the side windows at the same time.

2- Don't have this option

George
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan View Post
post up questions you can't find answers to elsewhere or offer cool trick/tips not readily known. i'll start with two questions:

1) can the rear side sunshades be controlled from the driver's seat? i checked the manual and can't find the answer. this is a needed function when i'm attempting to change lanes at night and cannot see out the rear passenger window because the shade is up. i could lower the window, which would lower the shade, but that's not acceptable if it's raining. the rear window and rear moon roof shades are controllable from the driver's seat, why aren't the side shades?

2) why does the rear tablet power on when the ignition is shut off? when i power the car up, the tablet powers up, which makes sense. after a time of non-use, it goes to sleep. again, makes sense. once i arrive at my destination and power down the car, the tablet powers up and i have to reach into the backseat to power it off. granted, it would probably power down/sleep after some predetermined time, but when i'm parked in a public place at night, the brightly lit tablet in a dark car could attract unwanted attention.

thanks.
For 1 it's as George has said, press and hold the rear blind button and it'll do the side ones as well.

2 is a good point. I guess it stays on because someone might still be in the car to use it. I wonder how long it does stay on, does it go off when you lock the car from the outside for instance?

I had wondered about having a tablet on view as might entice someone to try and break into the car. My plan as I don't have the Exec Lounge Seating will be to just push that arm rest up when people aren't in the rear so it's not visible.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

thanks for both replies.

can't believe i didn't discover the functionality of holding the rear shade button down to activate the side blinds. thanks again, george!

my car has the exec lounge seating, so i can't stow the armrest. i could remove the tablet each time i exit the car but that's not practical. next time i exit the vehicle, i'll record the amount of time until it powers down.

it still seems to be an odd process (or oversight) for the tablet to sleep while driving if no one is actively using it, only to power back up when the ignition is turned off.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thanks for both replies.

can't believe i didn't discover the functionality of holding the rear shade button down to activate the side blinds. thanks again, george!

my car has the exec lounge seating, so i can't stow the armrest. i could remove the tablet each time i exit the car but that's not practical. next time i exit the vehicle, i'll record the amount of time until it powers down.

it still seems to be an odd process (or oversight) for the tablet to sleep while driving if no one is actively using it, only to power back up when the ignition is turned off.
Maybe there's a setting on the tablet to change that, maybe if you delve into the Android side of the tablet. Not sure but will have a good play when I get mine soon to see what's possible.

I'm not sure why they call it Executive Lounge Seating. It's more like a wall between you and your wife that you might need in some situations to keep you safe if travelling in the back
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

1- Answer already stated so I won't bother.
2- the tablet is able to be removed and used as a normal Android Tablet outside of the vehicle.
So if you turn off the car for more convenience of the rear passenger it powers itself on, so you don't have to when you take it into, let's say, a restaurant.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Maybe there's a setting on the tablet to change that, maybe if you delve into the Android side of the tablet. Not sure but will have a good play when I get mine soon to see what's possible.

I'm not sure why they call it Executive Lounge Seating. It's more like a wall between you and your wife that you might need in some situations to keep you safe if travelling in the back
i conducted a cursory review but haven't found the appropriate setting for this scenario, yet. will keep digging and report back.

the exec lounge "wall" is nice when the kids are in back. however, it can be a bit of an obstacle when the lovely mrs. viva and i have the rare opportunity to enjoy the lounge seating. i guess it depends on your idea of safety; i prefer to live dangerously. the name is reagan, viva la reagan.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #8
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
1- Answer already stated so I won't bother.
2- the tablet is able to be removed and used as a normal Android Tablet outside of the vehicle.
So if you turn off the car for more convenience of the rear passenger it powers itself on, so you don't have to when you take it into, let's say, a restaurant.
2- considering the probability of the tablet being removed vs. remaining in the car, plus the ease of turning it on if it's needed outside the car, this protocol seems spurious. i think it's an oversight by bmw and could attract unwanted attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
2- considering the probability of the tablet being removed vs. remaining in the car, plus the ease of turning it on if it's needed outside the car, this protocol seems spurious. i think it's an oversight by bmw and could attract unwanted attention.
Yeah I don't buy that's the reason. You could just press a button to power it on or it switches on when you lift it out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
For those using display keys and just had the daylight savings time change...don’t forget to charge your key in the car for even just a minute then when exiting lock the car with the button on the display key instead of the door handle and this will update the time on the key.

Safe travels.
      03-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
For those using display keys and just had the daylight savings time change...don’t forget to charge your key in the car for even just a minute then when exiting lock the car with the button on the display key instead of the door handle and this will update the time on the key.

Safe travels.
Charging the key did not work for me to update the time. Locking and unlocking the car did work.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Yes, indeed, my apologies, unlocking then locking it does seem to do the time update (not sure if the display key does even need to go in the charger but I think so in-between those actions but I might be wrong) sorry for the confusion.