BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
winterishere
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550xi

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Advice purchase - 7 series or x3/x5

Hi everyone, currently driving a nice 550xi 2011 and so far so good and spoiled with the power in it. However, I'm wanting luxury smooth as opposed to sporty. I looked at the 7 series and took one for test drive, the 740i I think it was, last week. I liked it. But, ideally an SUV would be much suited better for me. Is there a bmw suv out there that has the luxury and smooth riding like the 750i or 760li alongside all the tech and toys in it. I remember sitting in a 2013 x3 and seats were uncomfortable and felt boxy.

I even sat in a 535d and not my cup of tea. Although my heart is set on the 7 series (loaded), hoping these is a version of it in the SUVs.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
daddymalu158.50
      04-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

I briefly looked for the same thing but it just doesn’t exist. The x5 is ok if you spec it up but it’s outdated and rises nothing like a 7. So I ended up with a 7.

The x7 may be like this, I hope it is, but I doubt it will be.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
winterishere
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I briefly looked for the same thing but it just doesn’t exist. The x5 is ok if you spec it up but it’s outdated and rises nothing like a 7. So I ended up with a 7.

The x7 may be like this, I hope it is, but I doubt it will be.
yes I was looking and didnt want to settle for something that was not comfortable. I was looking at other car companies to see what they had.
The x7 would be priced way out there too!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

unfortunately, i don't think there's a viable bmw suv currently available. i owned the e70 & f15 back-to-back, and now own a 750 xdrive. based on my experience with all three vehicles, i'd recommend the 7. out of the three, the f15 was the worst. it was soulless, neither sporty nor luxurious, and the tech was uninspiring. i dumped it in less than two years.

imo, the e70 was a spectacular suv and offered the quintessential bmw ride in an suv. it was a splendid combination of luxury and sportiness, while still a bit raw. the older hydraulic steering was perfectly weighted, with a slight bias toward heaviness. it was directly connected to the road, which is exactly what the f15 lacks. when the g05 and x7 launch, i hope they possess more of the e70's driving essence.

go with the seven or wait for the g05. if you can't, the new rover seems like a nice balance of luxury and sportiness.

all the best in your search.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
winterishere
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Thanks Vivala, on the question of suspension - I took a 2016 750xi I think for test drive and noticed it had the adaptive suspension button near where one would select sport and comfort etc. However, in older models like 2015, 2014, just the comfort and sport button. Does that mean they don't have adaptive suspension but just whats toggled there? i.e comfort or sport. See image showing the newer models with "adaptive"

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/up...00x1200-18.jpg
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterishere View Post
Thanks Vivala, on the question of suspension - I took a 2016 750xi I think for test drive and noticed it had the adaptive suspension button near where one would select sport and comfort etc. However, in older models like 2015, 2014, just the comfort and sport button. Does that mean they don't have adaptive suspension but just whats toggled there? i.e comfort or sport. See image showing the newer models with "adaptive"

http://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2016-bmw-7-series-interior-images-1900x1200-18.jpg
Adaptive adjusts the suspension depending on how your driving plus road conditions. That's based on GPS data like a sharp turn coming up or camera reading for bumps in the road to prep the suspension.

Only had my car for a few days but my initial feeling at least on some of the worst UK roads that Adaptive gives a more comfortable ride than Comfort / Comfort Plus. It's quite impressive.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #7
winterishere
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Adaptive adjusts the suspension depending on how your driving plus road conditions. That's based on GPS data like a sharp turn coming up or camera reading for bumps in the road to prep the suspension.

Only had my car for a few days but my initial feeling at least on some of the worst UK roads that Adaptive gives a more comfortable ride than Comfort / Comfort Plus. It's quite impressive.
so those modes - comfort and comfort plus are only available on the 2016 7 series onwards or on the older 2014-2015 models.?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 02:19 AM   #8
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

so those modes - comfort and comfort plus are only available on the 2016 7 series onwards or on the older 2014-2015 models.?
I've never driven an F01 so I don't know for sure however I do know it didn't have the Adaptive mode. Also the G11 / 12 rides on air suspension all around. Reviews all suggest that the current 7 comfort wise is much better than the old F01. However I imagine it's still a comfortable car, just the new ones are better is all.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #9
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

FastLaneJB is correct that adaptive is way better than comfort or comfort plus with the autobahn/ executive drive pro package. Without the autobahn package I am not sure how it performs. Autobahn has several components that soften the ride and stop the vibration propagation between sections of the body. Also with the autobahn you have better cornering but nothing like an m5/m6.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker123 View Post
FastLaneJB is correct that adaptive is way better than comfort or comfort plus with the autobahn/ executive drive pro package. Without the autobahn package I am not sure how it performs. Autobahn has several components that soften the ride and stop the vibration propagation between sections of the body. Also with the autobahn you have better cornering but nothing like an m5/m6.
So I had a loaner 740d xDrive without the Executive Drive Pro and Adaptive didn't seem like it does in my M760Li. I'd probably struggle to explain it as well as you have but on a bumpy road it feels like it's controlling the up / down motion of the car better without affecting the ride comfort. Infact it feels more comfortable because the car is staying more flat overall.

Slow driving around a well surfaced city that's less noticeable but it does control the body better. It's still got some lean to it of course, Sport controls the body more still but it's got a noticeable drop in ride comfort. It's not uncomfortable of course but it's still far firmer than any of the other modes.

Yeah it doesn't corner like an M5 but at least in sport it's not terrible. Not a track car but for reasonable progress on public roads the dynamics are great. A good balance between comfort and sportiness in Sport. Comfort / Comfort Plus are for mellow cruising
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
No, many modes were available on the F01/02 series as well as being available on the current G11/12 models, among them comfort/comfort plus, sport, sport plus, eco...but as others have mentioned the new adaptive mode or EDP is only available on the G series. Also depending on the year the suspension may not be full air suspension (iirc 2012 onwards all 7’s have full air suspension. The car is significantly different between F/G series...

Hope that helps, can’t comment on X models, not had them...

Safe travels, hope you find the right vehicle for you!
Appreciate 1
Nivarox1093.00