BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #1
msq123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 2014

Which Speed Camera Detector (UK)?

Hi, I am interested in getting a speed camera detector. So far in my research I found that laser/radar plus GPS based detectors are the best. I am looking at Snooper 4ZERO Elite BT or Road Angel pure.

Anyone got any experience with either one of these? They both retail for around the same price c£200 but snooper has free lifetime subscription whereas road angel is £100 per year. I want to find out how good it is vs the others in the market to warrant this annual premium.

Appreciate any help I could get. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

https://www.rdforum.org/index.php

Not sure if your taking about MRCD MRCT.
Appreciate 1
msq12333.50
      04-05-2018, 06:05 AM   #3
msq123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
https://www.rdforum.org/index.php

Not sure if your taking about MRCD MRCT.
Thanks for the link, will check it out.

I don't know what's the difference yet. New to this game . Let me go through the forum you linked and hopefully it will get clear. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
I'm not sure how useful are radar/laser detectors in UK, but you could just use TomTom speed camera app for free, and if you're extra paranoid, you can use Waze to get reports about police patrols and mobile speed traps.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
msq123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
I'm not sure how useful are radar/laser detectors in UK, but you could just use TomTom speed camera app for free, and if you're extra paranoid, you can use Waze to get reports about police patrols and mobile speed traps.
Thanks. I won't say I am paranoid as such and to be fair didn't even know about these devices until last month. But if they work I think these are something nice to have. problem with GPS based devices is that patrol cars won't be captured which I believe is the biggest danger and most difficult to spot, therefore, radar/laser based detectors.

As you can imagine one can be little trigger happy in an M5 once in a while .

Why do you say these are not reliable in the U.K.? Of course, if this is the case then probably not worth the money. I would be interested to know if you have had any experience or know someone who has. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
I haven't used one, but I think you'll get a lot of false alarms from radar detection, and they mostly use laser now anyway, which by the time you get a warning, it's already too late. On the other hand, a gps based system, especially one with user reported traps, will work 99% of the time. For example, I recently passed a mobile trap, where the guy parked just over a hill. By the time I saw him, he would just measure my speed within a second and I wouldn't have a chance to react, but Waze warned me about him a mile in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 03:53 AM   #7
msq123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
I haven't used one, but I think you'll get a lot of false alarms from radar detection, and they mostly use laser now anyway, which by the time you get a warning, it's already too late. On the other hand, a gps based system, especially one with user reported traps, will work 99% of the time. For example, I recently passed a mobile trap, where the guy parked just over a hill. By the time I saw him, he would just measure my speed within a second and I wouldn't have a chance to react, but Waze warned me about him a mile in advance.
That's useful info. I always use Apple maps, will try out Waze and see how I get on.
What you say about laser speed traps makes sense, 300-400m is not long enough distance to react more so at highway+ speeds. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY17 | M2 | DCT

Laser DETECTOR is useless, as by then your speed has already been taken, unless you are lucky enough to have some scatter from the car in front hit the sensor.

There are only two defences against laser. 1. Dont speed! 2. Use a jammer.

Option 1 is totally legal
Option 2 is totally illegal

Radar detector is only useful for GATSO cameras and some of the red light cameras and some time distance based systems.

If all you want to do is know where fixed speed cameras are, then a GPS based system is your best bet.

But without jamming technology in place, your on your own when it comes to mobile speed camera vans!
E30 320iS | '90
E28 M535i | '84
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
msq123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoZZa View Post
Laser DETECTOR is useless, as by then your speed has already been taken, unless you are lucky enough to have some scatter from the car in front hit the sensor.

Radar detector is only useful for GATSO cameras and some of the red light cameras and some time distance based systems.

If all you want to do is know where fixed speed cameras are, then a GPS based system is your best bet.

But without jamming technology in place, your on your own when it comes to mobile speed camera vans!
Thanks for the info. I have started using Waze and finding it useful. I have given up the idea of paying for a device for radar cam detection. Not interested in jammers for the reasons you pointed out.
Cheers
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Quote:

Jammer works for fixed cameras?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
I think some fixed photo cameras are lidar, as far as I know laser jammers are legal in most states. Google for a list of states where they are illegal.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
Depends on the camera. Here in the UK, most fixed cameras use radar. And jamming radar is a totally different prospect. And much much more illegal than jamming laser. In the UK at least!
E30 320iS | '90
E28 M535i | '84
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I think some fixed photo cameras are lidar, as far as I know laser jammers are legal in most states. Google for a list of states where they are illegal.
Illegal everywhere in the UK sadly. Classed as "attempting to pervert the course of justice"
E30 320iS | '90
E28 M535i | '84
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Quote:
Depends on the camera. Here in the UK, most fixed cameras use radar. And jamming radar is a totally different prospect. And much much more illegal than jamming laser. In the UK at least!
The jammer is illegal here too. The fine is 2.000 euros if I remember correct. But those fines are killing me.... Jamming radar is possible and if yes how? Thanks
Appreciate 0