BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #45
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Yes, There are hidden points to use one on the roof and when you go to the BMW shop and I put my VIN in, it is one of the few options you can get...

That may help greatly then, I'll see what else I can find about the roof rack in my user manual and post anything I find as this seems an option for you.
Yes that's great, I looked at the car in the showroom and I couldn't see any points so its good to know you can, that might solve all the issues! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #46
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
From my manual; (you can't use magnetic roof racks as the aluminium of the roof is incompatible) but you can use a BMW roof rack...

Screen Shot:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 12:29 AM   #47
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

I’d check if the LWB you’ll be driving has rear wheel steering because that helps mask the size of it hugely when it’s on the move. I can imagine without that it might feel like a land based aircraft carrier

Quote:
Very true, it's not the size, its how one uses it

Agree with your points, 27 on an M5 is brilliant (IMO)...traffic density probably helps to boost those figures though! (Open road and music can prove fatal...)

22 for the 760 is still very good too...not checked but does it shut down some cylinders when you're idling about looking for parking or a petrol station? Running in definitely important, curious to hear how it goes...you may still find it better after it is run in and had a first service... Besides, as you say, soon it will go the way of the Concorde...best not leave that to chance and be able to say you've had one as if the smile on your face doesn't give it away!
Yeah I figure if it’s not a V12 this time it’ll never be a V12. I’ll likely be keeping this one for 4 years so probably by the switch out time in 2022 the next car could be more likely a Hybrid or something. I feel they just need to crack the solid state battery tech and range / cost will vastly improve.

Quote:
Hah! Well, I took my driving test on a '78 ford thunderbird (4.9L V8, 302 cu. inch motor, 5.53meters long) with an aftermarket sport steering wheel (smaller diameter) and nearly bald summer tyres in winter... I passed and promptly put it in the snowbanks several times for my uncle to come and use his tow truck to get me out! (hey, I was 16...(lower age in Canada)...) That thing was a real boat, 3 speed on the tree and a bench front seat...loaded with electric options though...may be why I love the 7 so..
Yeah the size of roads and parking spots in America and I assume Canada (Never been) are so much nicer. I’m probably going to struggle a tad at 5.2 metres long with rear wheel steering sometimes, I can only imagine what 5.5 metres would be like.

Still that must of had some serious boot space. Probably one of those gangster cars because your kidnap victims could have space to stretch out and be comfortable in the boot. Hehe
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 04:33 AM   #48
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well they've approved the colour now for the car so hopefully will get a delivery date next week. I've got the minutes of the meeting as well if any of you are interested:

Agenda Item 13 - Crazy Brit wants a blue 7 series

Klaus - "I do not understand this. We sell our cars in Azurite Black, Black Sapphire, Carbon Black, Ruby Black and we've got Frozen Black among others. Why would anyone pick any colour other than black?"

Hans - "Maybe we need to accelerate our launch of additional blacks because we clearly do not have any enough black choices? We've got Double Black, Obelisk Black, Blackhole Black and Darthvader Black all close and ready to launch"

Helga - "No we cannot rush these things, the blacks have to be perfect. We've already given in to them by putting M badges on the front wings of M Sport models and turned a blind eye when they debadge a 118d then replace it with an M badge. There has to be some order to the chaos"

Manfred - "These colour choices the Brits are picking are down right dangerous. We've had to add danger pay to the paint team after Christian burnt his retina's out painting a Verde Mantis Green M4. You don't get these problems with Black"

Helmut - "Unfortunately they buy a lot of our cars. We've no stats on that but Borris Johnson said it so it must be true. We'll have to authorize it and hope that when they leave the EU they won't be able to pollute our pretty roads with non black cars anymore. Authorized"
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #49
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Well they've approved the colour now for the car so hopefully will get a delivery date next week. I've got the minutes of the meeting as well if any of you are interested:

Agenda Item 13 - Crazy Brit wants a blue 7 series

Klaus - "I do not understand this. We sell our cars in Azurite Black, Black Sapphire, Carbon Black, Ruby Black and we've got Frozen Black among others. Why would anyone pick any colour other than black?"

Hans - "Maybe we need to accelerate our launch of additional blacks because we clearly do not have any enough black choices? We've got Double Black, Obelisk Black, Blackhole Black and Darthvader Black all close and ready to launch"

Helga - "No we cannot rush these things, the blacks have to be perfect. We've already given in to them by putting M badges on the front wings of M Sport models and turned a blind eye when they debadge a 118d then replace it with an M badge. There has to be some order to the chaos"

Manfred - "These colour choices the Brits are picking are down right dangerous. We've had to add danger pay to the paint team after Christian burnt his retina's out painting a Verde Mantis Green M4. You don't get these problems with Black"

Helmut - "Unfortunately they buy a lot of our cars. We've no stats on that but Borris Johnson said it so it must be true. We'll have to authorize it and hope that when they leave the EU they won't be able to pollute our pretty roads with non black cars anymore. Authorized"
Ha! Very good! Great news about the car, it will be a proper stunner in the exterior and interior colours you chose.

Do keep us posted, you must be on tenterhooks...I'm on the edge of my seat and it's not even my car! (lots of pics and info please!)

Hope the test drive for 325_bucks went well and they could decide on which car to get...(obviously rooting for the 7!)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #50
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I’m just here now, sitting in a 760! Wish I could get one of these!

My main concern is still the boot space, I feels really small and narrow but I have a feeling it’s deceptive
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #51
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
IÂ’m just here now, sitting in a 760! Wish I could get one of these!

My main concern is still the boot space, I feels really small and narrow but I have a feeling itÂ’s deceptive
Have to say I felt the same the first time I saw the boot. It looked smaller than the M5's boot. It's longer but narrower.

Long before they even announced the 760 and the G11 / 12 has just come out they loaned me a 730d G11 for almost a week to try it out. Was back around Xmas time the year before last and took it to my parents. We loaded it up with our suitcases plus a ton of presents nicely.

Ideally if your still unsure see if they'll let you take it for a while so you can simply test out what you can fit in. Got to be sure so no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #52
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I asked them for a tape measure, and I got the dimensions of the pram we’re looking at and it will just fit on its side, leaving space for some cases. It’s not the biggest boot and the 5 touring is far and away more practical but as soon as I drove them both there was no comparison. I want a 7 in my life!

I’m currently waiting to see the deal I can get. I’ve also stripped the xdrive off and added some extra options too to make the cost saving up. Let’s see what they come back with...

Watch this space!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #53
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I asked them for a tape measure, and I got the dimensions of the pram we’re looking at and it will just fit on its side, leaving space for some cases. It’s not the biggest boot and the 5 touring is far and away more practical but as soon as I drove them both there was no comparison. I want a 7 in my life!

I’m currently waiting to see the deal I can get. I’ve also stripped the xdrive off and added some extra options too to make the cost saving up. Let’s see what they come back with...

Watch this space!
Yeah that's pretty much what I was expecting you to say after you'd driven them both. I've not driven a 5 touring with the rear air suspension but is the 7 still quite a bit more comfortable with air suspension front and back?

Good luck, hope you can get a deal that works for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #54
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quick decision- is the trade off in comfort worth it to have 20s instead of 19s?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #55
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quick decision- is the trade off in comfort worth it to have 20s instead of 19s?
I've only driven it on 20's as I think the original 730d had them and the 760 is standard on 20's. The comfort level was great so I think it's fine but as I've not tried 19's it's hard to say for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #56
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Well I’ve placed an order! Still going through paperwork so will put up the spec later
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #57
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well I’ve placed an order! Still going through paperwork so will put up the spec later
Well congrats! Be interested what you specified in the end.

You'll probably get yours before me, hopefully will know next week what my delivery date might be roughly but going for an individual colour is going to slow the order a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #58
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Here’s my spec

730d Carbon black
Black Nappa
Advanced Parking Package
20” Wheels
Sun protection glass
Heat comfort package, front and rear
Fineline Black wood trim
Ceramic controls
Icon Adaptive LED matrix lights
Driving Assistant
HUD
H/K sound
CarPlay
MSport package

Plus all the extensive standard features. Pretty happy with the spec. Would have liked a couple extra bits but there’s not much lacking at all. Looking like a mid March delivery estimate at the moment. Got this car down to £59.8k
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #59
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Very nice. Looks like you solved the problem of picking between a couple of options by having both, the best way to solve that issue if you ask me

Yeah with the discounts and 0% APR the 7 has much better deals than the lower model cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #60
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

After trying to keep my options down im now thinking of adding more!

Do you think the ambient air and through load system are worth it? Would you trade ceramic controls for them?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #61
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Well, I made the decision - I emailed the dealer and asked them to add Ambient Air and Through Load in addition to ceramic!

Well, I have to stop adding things now!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #62
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I made the decision - I emailed the dealer and asked them to add Ambient Air and Through Load in addition to ceramic!

Well, I have to stop adding things now!

Congrats, welcome to the 7...you do realise it will be exceedingly hard to go back to anything else now!

Glad you could decide definitively after the drives, the 5 is very practical but oh, that 7...

Nice spec and good job on getting the price down.

I wish I had ambient air so think you made a good call there. I have the through load and like it for the odd long item we may buy or transport that can be passed through the hatch so you don't have to give up the entire back seat width (or the front pax)...

The 20's will look stunning on it and you can always offset any harshness with the comfort plus setting (when you are not driving in a sports mind).

The black wood trim is stunning, I have that as well (I think quite a few of us do! So great minds think alike? I won't say the second half of that as it doesn't apply here! )

I think you get the surround view with the advanced parking? If so and you haven't had that before...it is brilliant and helps greatly, you'll come very quickly to love it.

HUD: Again, stunning, I love how big and clear the display is and it makes driving such a joy, well chosen!

HK sound: I still haven't managed to get (or want to) full volume as I find it great and plenty loud at mid volumes, regardless of music style...this, and the rest of your spec will let you sit back in comfort, relax and just smile at others stressing to get where they are racing to...

Nice, enjoy and welcome to the 7
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #63
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Very nice. The Through Loading might be something you almost rarely use but it's cheap and when you do need it you'll be glad you have it.

Not sure 7 series, harshness belong in the same sentence even with 20 inch wheels. It's still the softest smoothest riding car I'll have ever owned by a long shot. Clearly it can make some difference but I imagine the air suspension can deal with that pretty well.

Back when picking the M5 I got loaned a M5 Comp Pack for a few days with 20 inch wheels. On some of our not so smooth roads and after an hour in it you kind of wanted to get out. It was a bit too firm at least in my books and that put me off. The C63S was more comfortable so was the car I picked. After I returned that due to so many issues I took a gamble and ordered the non comp pack M5 on 19inch wheels. It's a completely different car and goes from one that was too firm for my liking to the nicest riding car I've had to date.

I'd put most of that ride change however to the 30% less stiff springs on the normal M5 vs the Comp pack however. The 20's probably would make a bit of difference but I don't think too much.

Anyway the M760 on 20's rides way beyond my M5 in terms of comfort. It's not just slightly better, it's a whole different level.

Your probably right of course Pelo Cat, once you've had comfort like this it'll be hard to ever go back. I can quite imagine after I've done the V12 thing I'll just mellow out, go with a more sensible engine but stick with comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 02:18 AM   #64
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Just remind me...the rear seats have electric functions as standard right? And the controls are on the side of the rear armrest. Does through loading affect that in any way or is it exactly the same but with just an opening behind?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:48 AM   #65
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just remind me...the rear seats have electric functions as standard right? And the controls are on the side of the rear armrest. Does through loading affect that in any way or is it exactly the same but with just an opening behind?
EDIT: Yes, you should have rear comfort seats included I believe (as M Sport package includes features from exclusive upgrade as well, so the electric controls in middle console). Probably best to just check that with the sales chap though to be absolutely sure!

Yes, controls are on each side of the rear armrest.

Through loading has no impact on the seats or controls and is indeed just an opening behind. When you fold down the armrest, there is a thin strip of leather that is velcro'd to the back, you pull this down and then release the latch on the black plastic lid that also folds forward and opens the small hatchway space to the boot. The opening is not big enough to put your pram through but you would get a ski or curtain rod or such through it.

Hope that helps.

BTW: a nice feature to be aware of: if you lock the rear windows (from the driver's window controls), this also disables the rear seat controls. Useful when your kids (or adults) are playing too much with them!)

FWIW, the 20's will look great and indeed the air suspension will no doubt remove most of the difference compared to a smaller wheel, however, the bigger size, weight and rolling mass will reduce mpg slightly over 18 or 19 inch wheels but you'll still save compared to the 640 you had due to having less bhp anyway so more than make up for that. If you want the large wheels and looks but do find it too 'harsh' you could always put 'non-run flats' on them to help, and obviously carry an emergency kit to fill it should you get a puncture. I did that on my old F01 and it helped enormously towards both road noise and ride comfort but with the trade off of not having run flats...

I'm a bit of a 'princess' when it comes to ride comfort so am overly critical of this and as you've chosen m sport so you'll not be nearly as critical as me and no doubt love the sporty ride and feel the larger wheels provide. My wife, ironically, and in contrast to me, loves to have her ass as low as it can go and bumping along on sport suspension, wheels and feel...

Last edited by Pelo Cat; 01-14-2018 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: correction on comfort seats rear
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 05:22 AM   #66
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I’m critical of ride too so do you think I should go back to 19s? Is that what you have?
Appreciate 0