BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #89
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
No you’re seeing the heat comfort package which adds extra heating like heated steering wheel and armrests etc. Can’t live without my heated steering wheel!
Ah! I'm learning lots as we go as well.

Yeah heated armrests are really nice. I'm with you on that
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #90
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Very nice spec, you'll be well pleased with the car 325_bucks.

Thrilled for you both, will look forward to hearing further details on delivery and first impressions with your new cars once you have them.

Enjoy the anticipation!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 03:15 AM   #91
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Thanks, order status is now at 1100 - Scheduled, delivery to dealer beginning of march, so it looks to be on track at this stage
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 03:16 AM   #92
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Ah! I'm learning lots as we go as well.

Yeah heated armrests are really nice. I'm with you on that
Yeah I've never had heated armrests but I do put my arms on the arm rests a lot!
But having lived with a heated steering wheel for the last year, its a must have option for me, I am always cold so it's nice to keep the hands warm!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #93
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Just moved to 1200 - Scheduled for production!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #94
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I've never had heated armrests but I do put my arms on the arm rests a lot!
But having lived with a heated steering wheel for the last year, its a must have option for me, I am always cold so it's nice to keep the hands warm!
Yeah I wouldn't want to go without a heated steering wheel either. A lot of cheaper cars have this as an option now. Heated arm rests are the luxury that the cheaper cars don't have

The problem might be more once you've had something, you won't want to ever go back.

Quote:
Can we track orders online in the UK now? Last time I ordered I thought only the US could do that. I clearly am out of touch. Where do we go to do that?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #95
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't want to go without a heated steering wheel either. A lot of cheaper cars have this as an option now. Heated arm rests are the luxury that the cheaper cars don't have

The problem might be more once you've had something, you won't want to ever go back.

Can we track orders online in the UK now? Last time I ordered I thought only the US could do that. I clearly am out of touch. Where do we go to do that?
Not as such, but once you have the order number you can speak to the BMW geniuses on chat (go to start a new build and then the chat button will pop up) and give them the order number and they will give you the details.

However interesting, Cooper BMW (my dealer), via BMW UK, emailed me a progress email to tell me at each change of state. I didn't know they did this and wasn't expecting it but it helps. It just doesn't give the actual status codes, I have to get them by matching the status to the lists available online or from the geniuses.

My last new factory BMW I had to chase the dealer for any sort of update so was not as easy as this. Still not as good as the US but at least it's something
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #96
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not as such, but once you have the order number you can speak to the BMW geniuses on chat (go to start a new build and then the chat button will pop up) and give them the order number and they will give you the details.

However interesting, Cooper BMW (my dealer), via BMW UK, emailed me a progress email to tell me at each change of state. I didn't know they did this and wasn't expecting it but it helps. It just doesn't give the actual status codes, I have to get them by matching the status to the lists available online or from the geniuses.

My last new factory BMW I had to chase the dealer for any sort of update so was not as easy as this. Still not as good as the US but at least it's something
Ah awesome. I've not got my order paperwork yet. Every last time I've got that the time I ordered the car in the dealer however as it's got an individual colour it seems it's different as you cannot pick that on their system. So the process must be somewhat different. Hoping I'll get something like it this week along with options list so I can check all is as expected.

That sounds good of Cooper's. I wonder if all BMW dealers can do that or if Coopers put something in themselves to action that. I used Coopers when I brought my first BMW back when I used to live in Norwich but I'm at Sycamore now in Peterborough. However I have to say the people I deal with in Peterborough are excellent and I couldn't wish for a better service. It all really adds to the experience and joy of buying a new car. Mercedes dealer in contrast seems quite cold and clinical which isn't nearly as nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #97
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I haven't had a good Mercedes experience except at 1 dealer, and generally that's put me off buying one. However MB World is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #98
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics of your car when it arrives. It's been fun "riding along" as you made your selections.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #99
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

on previous BMWs I've had, you could spec an option to add auxiliary heating so that, as well as setting timers to turn fans on to cool the car a bit before you get there, you can also heat it up before you get in in the mornings etc. I didn't see the option on the 7 and I've not had it before but was considering speccing it. Does this option not exist anymore? Sometimes it's part of a cold weather package but again, I didn't see that
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #100
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
on previous BMWs I've had, you could spec an option to add auxiliary heating so that, as well as setting timers to turn fans on to cool the car a bit before you get there, you can also heat it up before you get in in the mornings etc. I didn't see the option on the 7 and I've not had it before but was considering speccing it. Does this option not exist anymore? Sometimes it's part of a cold weather package but again, I didn't see that
I don't believe that's an option. You see it on some cars like Land Rovers for around £1k I think where they add an oil burner to do it. Not allowed to run the engine remotely because of the emissions and say it was sat in a garage.

They have REST on the car as BMW calls it where if you've driven it you can use the heat from the engine to keep the car warm while parked up for a while with the engine off. I know that's not exactly what you was talking about but mention it because I didn't know about it for a good few years after owning a BMW. One of those things I must have missed when skimming the manual.

Think you can have this stuff if you go for one of the Hybrid models as they use the hybrid battery to AC / heating when off. So the 740e I believe can do this.

I imagine with things like the active grill that closes when the engine is cold to warm it up quicker plus heated seats / steering wheel you'll be able to warm the car up pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:54 AM   #101
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't believe that's an option. You see it on some cars like Land Rovers for around £1k I think where they add an oil burner to do it. Not allowed to run the engine remotely because of the emissions and say it was sat in a garage.

They have REST on the car as BMW calls it where if you've driven it you can use the heat from the engine to keep the car warm while parked up for a while with the engine off. I know that's not exactly what you was talking about but mention it because I didn't know about it for a good few years after owning a BMW. One of those things I must have missed when skimming the manual.

Think you can have this stuff if you go for one of the Hybrid models as they use the hybrid battery to AC / heating when off. So the 740e I believe can do this.

I imagine with things like the active grill that closes when the engine is cold to warm it up quicker plus heated seats / steering wheel you'll be able to warm the car up pretty quickly.
Yeah I had REST on one of my old ones, it's not a big deal but I wondered because I didn't see it and thought it would be good. Perhaps cars sold in cold climate countries could have this option maybe.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #102
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I had REST on one of my old ones, it's not a big deal but I wondered because I didn't see it and thought it would be good. Perhaps cars sold in cold climate countries could have this option maybe.
You might find it's on your current 6 series as well. It used to be a separate button but when they removed that they didn't remove the feature. I can switch it on in my M5 by pressing the fan speed up button on the drivers side when the car is off.

It's in the new 7 series but same as M5 there's no dedicated button. Think it switches on if you push pretty much any button on the heating controls on the newer 7 though when switched off.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #103
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You might find it's on your current 6 series as well. It used to be a separate button but when they removed that they didn't remove the feature. I can switch it on in my M5 by pressing the fan speed up button on the drivers side when the car is off.

It's in the new 7 series but same as M5 there's no dedicated button. Think it switches on if you push pretty much any button on the heating controls on the newer 7 though when switched off.
I've looked in my manual and I'm not sure it is clear to be honest, I'll have to try it out and get back to you.

On one hand, the manual does talk about residual heating using the remaining engine warmth or warmth from the fuel in the vehicle to heat as FastLaneJB says, however, on the other hand it does allow A/C to turn on and also does mention that you should not do it in a garage and that the floor underneath the car will heat up so no loose flammable items there or they may catch fire...

So, it is described as independent ventilation / auxiiary heating in the manual and you can set it for a timer or for instant (while outside the car with the display key) or while in the car with some buttons.

I'll let you know whether it turns the engine on or not and how it works once i give it a go...always known about it but never used it!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #104
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
I've looked in my manual and I'm not sure it is clear to be honest, I'll have to try it out and get back to you.

On one hand, the manual does talk about residual heating using the remaining engine warmth or warmth from the fuel in the vehicle to heat as FastLaneJB says, however, on the other hand it does allow A/C to turn on and also does mention that you should not do it in a garage and that the floor underneath the car will heat up so no loose flammable items there or they may catch fire...

So, it is described as independent ventilation / auxiiary heating in the manual and you can set it for a timer or for instant (while outside the car with the display key) or while in the car with some buttons.

I'll let you know whether it turns the engine on or not and how it works once i give it a go...always known about it but never used it!
All recent BMWs have ventilation when the car is off, and I believe you can set it on a timer, however if it truly has auxiliary heating then it won't need to start the engine, it will have a separate heater that is fuel powered that can independently heat the car without it running, I.e on cold mornings you can use that without having to leave the car running.

I think that's the case anyway. If it has it, great. If not, no big deal
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #105
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I found a VIN from a US M760 so had been looking over the electronic manual. So this is from US car but suspect it's the same here.

As you can see it can vent (Fans) or use residual heat but I suspect pretty much every time you do really want this the engine will be stone cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #106
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Here are the screenshots from my vehicle specific VIN (so UK model and 2016, YMMV)...

(sorry for the different size images and resolutions, when cropping the files to be the relevant bits it resizes automatically)...you get the idea in any case. Hope it makes more sense to you two than me! As mentioned, I'll give it a go with the display key and see what happens and come back about that in the next day or two...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #107
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ah, interesting, on my VIN specific iPhone manual, it only mentions the independent ventilation and doesn't mention the aux. heating or the garage points/heat under the car...so the paper copy I also received is obviously a universal one that I was looking at (at first) so UK model appears to be just residual and no 'real heating' but the North American or other markets must have this option as you say...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #108
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
EDIT: (more legible sizes) Here are the pages from the paper manual in contrast:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #109
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Yes so it seems this is not an option on our cars, just residual heating
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #110
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah it mentions about the exhaust being clear so the car is capable of it I imagine but disabled in Europe where running the engine in this manner isn't legal.

Might be something you could have coded into the car I guess. Just don't use it when it's parked in an enclosed space.
Appreciate 0