BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

CarPlay issues

While I’m waiting for my new 7 to arrive, I’ve had to send my 6 in for some work and I have a loaner mini. It has all the bells and whistles so I thought I’d give CarPlay a good go before i get it in my 7 to see how well it works. I know there has been a lot of negative stuff said about it and a lot of it is justified but actually, I find it quite useable and useful for me, as long as I use Idrive nav so that I get info on the HUD. But there is one issue I can’t work out. Playing music and changing tracks works fine, and when I first pair the iPhone the first time, correct track info is displayed in the hud, which was unexpected. But as soon as I get out and In and reconnect, the track display in hud stays on the last item I played, be it a song or radio station from radioplayer etc. Changing tracks still works. The only way to fix it is to unpair the phone and start again.

Anyone got any ideas why this could be or could you try it on yours to see what the behaviour is like?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 03:54 AM   #2
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
I don't have car play on mine and tend to use the online music service provided with the car for all my music needs, not found it wanting in any way so far to be honest (neither sound quality nor music choice) so only use my phone for calls (hands free).

I could try pairing my phone for music and then seeing what behaviour shows in my HUD (as you say after getting out and locking and then getting back in)...but it may still be different to what you would get with car play behaviour and also you'll have the newer iDrive software as well (mine is a revision older).

Hoping someone else can help you out with this one.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 03:56 AM   #3
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Thanks, yeah I expect using it with idrive will be fine, I could do that, but the extra apps I can use through CarPlay are quite useful. In the last day I've dictated many WhatsApp messages etc and that's been great. I would like to use it when the car arrives but if it is flaky then idrive will be ok
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Good points about other apps that people may want to use like messaging or podcasts etc...

Hope someone else can comment and/or that it works as expected for you when you get yours!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Yeah I don't know the answer on this but have an iPhone and Apple CarPlay on my new car when it comes. However you'll get yours before me for sure so will have worked it all out by then
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 11:04 PM   #6
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Pro & iX40 M Sport

I have that problem as well but I don't need to pair/repair, it normally sorts itself out either have sometime ( maybe an hour ) or after a further stop and starting of the car.

The only other major problem I have with car play is the audio lag when using the phone , when you speak to someone there is a noticable delay before they hear what you have said to the extent that they have normally begun talking ...which is super annoying

Si
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Have to say I'm not all that sure about CarPlay. You gain a couple of things but you lose others. Will give it some more time but might be if I end up having enough of it I'll turn it off and go back to just normal Bluetooth.

The downsides are the removed functionality you get in the native car. With Bluetooth I can cycle through my music on the HUD which is something I have always done a lot ever since having my first BMW with a HUD. With CarPlay you only can skip forward or back a song without seeing what they are, I cannot scroll through and jump forward to the next track I like.

The lack of contact syncing means you've got to go into CarPlay to navigate to a contact. Might have missed if they've moved it but on previous cars I could build up contacts in the cars iDrive to add in some business locations I might Nav to. Now it seems I need them in my phone to get them to show up and with CarPlay enabled have to go to them via that to then say Navigate via BMW Nav.

Not had any messages really come in yet so likely I'm missing some of the positives here but I think when you've such a solid system as iDrive, CarPlay is actually a bit weak currently.

Anyway will stick with it for a while to give it a proper shot.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:17 AM   #8
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

For me, I think the benefits of CarPlay JUST outweighs not using it.

I never scrolled through my music before, I've always used Spotify which always worked the way you described even without CarPlay, so I'm happy with with it like that. The benefit is that I can have access to more Spotify playlists and the created content and then put it on shuffle which is good. I can't search which is a pain but I can deal with that.

it would be nice to be able to scroll through my contacts on the HUD but now it just pops up on the CarPlay screen and all my contacts are fairly well organised so it's ok. If you use the idrive controller it jumps to the letters of the alphabet quickly to move down the list.

I still use BMW nav completely, I don't use apple maps all so can't comment on that. I use apps like Overcast daily, and the integration of WhatsApp is amazing, being able to have them read out and then dictate them back is great.

Like I said, it definitely has it's negatives, it can be slow because its wireless and sometimes the connection is a bit flaky and of course the functionality has the scope to be massively improved but I hope over time it will be, until then I'm happy with what I get over the idrive but my use is not the same as everyone
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:54 AM   #9
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I guess I'll just have to get used to it and accept that to get the plus side of it, I've got the give up some functionality I used to have.

I'm on Apple Music but before that was just music synced to my phone so regardless of if using a USB connection or bluetooth you'd get to see the full playlist to scroll through. It's just a safer way to pick what you might want while keeping your eyes on the road is all.

I've activated the £1 Online Entertainment 1 month trial with Deezer. I have to say in my M5 I had Online Entertainment from the factory where I went for Napster as Deezer wasn't available then but think it worked a bit better overall. I'll not stick with it long term as no point.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:43 AM   #10
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
You both get 3 years of free access to Deezer with the car. You just need to register via the car (not any other device)...just in case you weren’t aware. You can check this via the connected drive webpage for what services are included and how long in case that helps/is of use.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
You both get 3 years of free access to Deezer with the car. You just need to register via the car (not any other device)...just in case you weren't aware. You can check this via the connected drive webpage for what services are included and how long in case that helps/is of use.
I'll double check this Pelo Cat as it certainly wanted to charge for Online Entertainment. Or you mean you can get Deezer for 3 years but just not inbuilt into the car like with Online Entertainment?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I'll double check this Pelo Cat as it certainly wanted to charge for Online Entertainment. Or you mean you can get Deezer for 3 years but just not inbuilt into the car like with Online Entertainment?
The catch is that you MUST sign up for an account using the car idrive system to create the deezer plus account. If you do that, you'll get full access to deezer for free for 3 years with the purchase of the car. You can then use deezer on any other device for that time using the same account details without extra charge.

However, if you create the account via a web page on your computer, iPhone, etc...it will want to charge you or create the trial account...and then you don't benefit from the BMW agreement with them. You can of course log in using the same details on your BMW but it won't be using the BMW free 3 year period of the plus account.

Its a pain as you have to set it up in the car first but then everything works fine.

When you have the BMW account, it then lets you use the Deezer app on the phone/computer without issue using those login details and you have nothing to pay. (well outside of the BMW payments!)

I think you can also opt for Napster as well but that may only be for US customers.

Hope that helps, if you log in to connected drive page on BMW, you'll see the deezer account is indeed free for 3 years. I'll see if I can get a screen shot to show you what I mean.

Given its free and then can be used on other devices, I've taken it up...it should also sound good on your B & W system...just don't let 325_bucks know as he'll be jealous!
      04-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Screenshot below, maybe only two years but at least 2 years:
Attached Images

04-20-2018, 05:10 AM   #14
Andy@BimmerCoders
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Let us know if we can help
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #15
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So I did use an existing account that I'd made previously but did it in the car. However before it even asks you for an account you have to sign up for Online Entertainment. I only got the option of 1 month trial for £1 or to pay for the full 12 months.

I didn't order Online Entertainment in the build of the car, did you?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #16
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

So is anyone actually using CarPlay for a reasonable period of time at a time?

I'm asking as I've got a few issues and I wondered if it was just me or everyone ?

Si
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I use CarPlay 100% of the time, I couldn't live without it now. Now with Waze and Google Maps it's almost perfect for me. All it needs is Nav directions in HUD and It would be complete
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #18
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I use CarPlay 100% of the time, I couldn't live without it now. Now with Waze and Google Maps it's almost perfect for me. All it needs is Nav directions in HUD and It would be complete
Quote:

Ok, my questions for you

1) do you suffer audio delay when on a phone call ?
2) if you stream audio at the same time as using Waze, after about 5 mins does your phone stop wirelessly charging ( this happens to me with a radio streaming app and waze but not Apple maps or google maps )
3) since ios12 have you stopped receiving iMessage notifications if you were using bmw sat nav

I'd super appreciate it if you could confirm I'm not imagining these things

Btw I have a 4 hour commute every day so get a lot of time to spot issues

Si
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #19
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I regularly use it on long drives so I know it has its issues. But with regards to your points:

1) No never had this
2) Not had this but I have a vague recollection of Waze saying this was a bug that was fixed in a later update. I might be wrong though. Try updating your Waze if you haven't. I'm on the Beta program and not had that issue
3) I don't remember the last time I used BMW Nav so can't comment on whether iMessage alerts come through but I can test this later on.

I would suggest unpairing and repairing your phone first to see if it resolves these issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I regularly use it on long drives so I know it has its issues. But with regards to your points:

1) No never had this
2) Not had this but I have a vague recollection of Waze saying this was a bug that was fixed in a later update. I might be wrong though. Try updating your Waze if you haven't. I'm on the Beta program and not had that issue
3) I don't remember the last time I used BMW Nav so can't comment on whether iMessage alerts come through but I can test this later on.

I would suggest unpairing and repairing your phone first to see if it resolves these issues.
Thanks

Already done that a few times but the issues still persist 😞

I'll keep an eye on the updates from Wave ( thanks for the tip ) and I'll try my girlfriends phone it could a problem with mine

If you get a second on one of your drives could you try the notifications issue please just so I know it's not just me and a setting somewhere

Thanks

Si
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #21
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just to feedback,

As was stated waze is no longer stops my phone charging after a few mins. This was clearly a software issue. Although my phone gets crazy hot and becomes very very sluggish

Just need to resolve the other two issues now 😞

Si
Appreciate 0