BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-23-2018, 04:46 AM   #1
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Display Key Case Comparison

I wanted to do a quick comparison of 2 cases that I've tried out. I've been hoping to use the display key as my daily key but obviously it's quite large and not able to be put on a key ring so I needed a solution to see if it was viable given the size.

First I purchased a "cheap" leather case from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The picture made it look good but once I received it I found that, while it fit the key ok, the leather surrounding the screen area wasn't very tight so didn't fit all that well. Also, the edging was the worst part, it was obviously just the back and front leather pinched together at the edges and stitched, which made it protrude quite a bit and made the key feel overall a lot bigger. I wasn't all that happy with it so went looking for an alternative.

I didn't want the official BMW one as that doesn't have a key loop, and the Montblanc one, which I really did want, well, I wasn't going to pay £200 for a case.

I came across this though on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182695289...&sojTags=bu=bu

I've not seen it advertised anywhere else but it was sold from a proper BMW franchise dealer and has a proper BMW part number. I gave this part number to the dealer I usually use for parts and they confirmed it exists, but they didn't have a date for it coming in and in fact the said the product was "on hold". So I was confused as to why this dealer had 10+ of them in stock, and if in fact they were genuine. I contacted them and they said it was so I decided to take a chance.

I'm very happy with this, it fits much better, the edges of the screen fit better, although it's still loose leather so it will never be tight like a silicon case for example. Overall though, it fits well and allows me to add it to my keys. It doesn't add much bulk and the joins at the edge and further round the key, so it means the bit that stuck out on the cheap case are no where near as noticeable on this case, they don't protrude past the key itself.

Here is a comparison pic before I returned the Amazon one:

I'm very surprised that BMW aren't advertising this more, and surprised that this dealer has them at all. But I would recommend it.

The only case I think that would be better would be a fitted silicone case. If anyone has seen a good one, let me know.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Thanks, this is really useful. ^

Curious what the Montblanc case looks like, will have to check that out as well!

Not generally a case person but I can see the merit and convenience of one. How do you protect the display itself from getting scratched? (or do you use a screen cover like on a phone for that?)

Cheers, good to know, agree the BMW case is nicer for looks and for the form factor being better to fit in a pocket and not stick out too much.
      03-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Ideally I wouldn’t have a case at all and if it had a built in key loop that would be much better but there are no options.

I don’t have a screen protector on mine. I guess I could do that to help protect it but it’s not occurred to me yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Ideally I wouldn’t have a case at all and if it had a built in key loop that would be much better but there are no options.

I don’t have a screen protector on mine. I guess I could do that to help protect it but it’s not occurred to me yet.
Agreed, I don't use a case but I can see how others would want one to clip to a key ring (I dislike big key rings so wouldn't).

Recommend a screen protector, I've been very careful and lucky that I hadn't marked the screen since I've had mine but I did notice this last week that I now do have some small 'scuff' marks on the display which weren't there before...so before you get one...best put one on for those kind of things.

Cheers. Safe travels.
      03-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

That's a good point on the screen protector, I'd not considered that but do always have one on my mobiles. I'm guessing they don't make one pre-cut for the display key as probably very small market. Maybe just need to get one for a mobile phone and cut it down to size instead.

I'd rather not use the display key and have all the data on my mobile plus remote parking but it's not possible so will need to use the display key as well.

Pelo Cat how do you carry your house keys if you've no key chain? Just put them loose in your wallet? Could be the other way to go actually. I slimmed my keys down previously so have just the front and rear door key but then also the house alarm fob but that's it outside of my car key... Could work, maybe just need a nice new wallet as mine is a little worn now to be honest, see what I can find that would be good to put a few keys in as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I do use a key chain, just keep it to the minimum. A basic metal key ring, my two shopping key fobs (Waitrose/Tesco), front and rear door keys and an office key. Everything else is on other key chains in the house.

I’ve always kept car keys on separate key chain, with nothing else on it as other keys mark up the steering column I find, so only leather fob, key ring and car key if using other keys or just display key on its own. (With emergency key in wallet)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I'm just thinking that even with a case like 325 bucks has the key might get scratched up a bit. My M5 key isn't perfect having been on the same keychain as my other keys but it wasn't anything special so I don't really care that much. I think I'll care to look after the display key that bit more.

I already put my mobile in a pocket on it's own so that doesn't live with the keys. Despite having a case and screen protector I just want to look after it so own pocket works perfectly for that. Thinking if I've couple of keys in a wallet in the other pocket the display key can be on it's own and reasonably safe from key scratches. Just a thought.

Don't want to order a case just yet as might try to get a free one off my dealer but that likely would be the cover one I guess if that's all most have. If I don't need it to live on a key chain with the keys that wouldn't be a big deal though and could work nicely.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Yeah I'm just thinking that even with a case like 325 bucks has the key might get scratched up a bit. My M5 key isn't perfect having been on the same keychain as my other keys but it wasn't anything special so I don't really care that much. I think I'll care to look after the display key that bit more.

I already put my mobile in a pocket on it's own so that doesn't live with the keys. Despite having a case and screen protector I just want to look after it so own pocket works perfectly for that. Thinking if I've couple of keys in a wallet in the other pocket the display key can be on it's own and reasonably safe from key scratches. Just a thought.

Don't want to order a case just yet as might try to get a free one off my dealer but that likely would be the cover one I guess if that's all most have. If I don't need it to live on a key chain with the keys that wouldn't be a big deal though and could work nicely.
I'm of a similar mentality, phone in one front pocket (with nothing else), wallet in back, keys (display key on its own, no protection, keys on small key chain) in other front pocket...that worked well for quite a while as generally, when in the car, I charge the key and then just place it in the cup holder or front door pocket and when at home I don't need it so sits in the house so only really on me when I am using the car (for those of us working from home) so for those days, in pocket very little and when at work sat at a desk I put mine in my drawers so really not much time where it is getting potentially marked up...There must be someone that is making a sleeve out of microfibre or silicon for this as well as the leather cases (now that the 5 can also have a display key as well)...will have to google for one (assume 325_bucks has but just in case my google is stronger! (yeah, right, better than an IT guy! )

Anyway, for the amount of time, a case like 325_bucks with a cut to size screen protector would like be perfect FastLaneJB!

As a bit of humour and ps: I have realised I am an old bugger as none of the young kids these days will even know what I mean when I said that didn't want other keys on a car key chain so it wouldn't mark up the steering column....Even I haven't had a key that needed to be inserted (especially on a steering column) for many years...not sure where that hangover came from but wow, feel like a proper old man now!)...Let me tell you about the time we used to have to turn a key to start an engine sonny! )
      03-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
As a bit of humour and ps: I have realised I am an old bugger as none of the young kids these days will even know what I mean when I said that didn't want other keys on a car key chain so it wouldn't mark up the steering column....Even I haven't had a key that needed to be inserted (especially on a steering column) for many years...not sure where that hangover came from but wow, feel like a proper old man now!)...Let me tell you about the time we used to have to turn a key to start an engine sonny! )
I'm not that young. First car I drove was one I shared with my mum (I made it my own) which was a C reg VW Polo. It was back when auto choke had just filtered down to cheap cars but it didn't work well. When it was cold and the engine was cold it would cut out everytime I put the clutch down. You'd then change gear, bring it back to biting point and the engine would restart. It was like auto / start stop but before it's time and while you was in motion

It also had candle light for headlights that I remember. From memory I could see about as much of the road with my eyes closed as I could with them open when it was dark. I think people who are scared to drive at night have had a car like that or still do. I don't blame them, it was extremely dangerous with hindsight but just the way of the world back then.

But yeah no change of scratching your steering column anymore at least in the kinds of cars we buy. Even cheap cars are getting keyless start these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #10
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I haven't bothered buying one of these things neither for my phones nor my display key.
I put my phones and display key in the pocket yet I put my wallet and other keys in the other pocket . Phones seem to get along well with the display key .I have not seen any malfunction at all.
Mont Blanc's is high quality item but if I had to buy a display key I would not pay premium for it just because it's a renowned pen maker's product
      03-24-2018, 06:48 AM   #11
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I didn’t buy it to protect the key, I bought it to attach it to my bunch of keys. I would hate to have to pick up my phone, wallet, keys, bmw key, every time I leave the house. At least this combines two into one
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I didn’t buy it to protect the key, I bought it to attach it to my bunch of keys. I would hate to have to pick up my phone, wallet, keys, bmw key, every time I leave the house. At least this combines two into one
Yeah fair point. They should have at least added a hole so you can put it on a key chain if you want. Probably wouldn't have suffered too much if the screen wasn't so big so was a little more pocketable still in my opinion.
Appreciate 0