BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #1
josthi
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series GT 530d

BMW 6 series GT vs BMW 7 series

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a big sedan. Is there any big difference between 7 series and 6 series GT?

Cheers,
Simon J
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

There's a huge amount of differences, the 7 series is a luxury sedan where as the 6 series GT is a bit more of a large but sporty car.

Depends on what your after but give them both a test drive and see what you think, always the best way.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
major one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 750i x-drive; 16 g550

i’m fairly certain the 6 gt is based off of the 7 chassis so you get the room (i.e., wheelbase) in that respect but given the 6 gt’s curvy and slopey nature of the roofline, it doesn't feel as big inside (in the rear compartment, anyway).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It also doesn't have the level of adjustability in the rear seats you get on a 7 series plus I think the ride height is higher so that changes the driving dynamics a bit. Air suspension is only standard on the rear, you'd likely want to pay the extra to get it all round.

Still a great car I imagine, best to try them both out.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I never get 6 GT or such cars , they remind me of people who make identity confusions lol
      04-11-2018, 03:42 AM   #6
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I never get 6 GT or such cars , they remind me of people who make identity confusions lol
I guess it's for people that like the coupe looks but want something a bit more practical because they've got kids or such. Indeed other than going for looks, if you need that kind of car a normal 7 series salloon makes more sense still I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:05 AM   #7
Llewelyn
Rep
Drives: G11 750i xDrive

7 is $10,000 more under similar specs, resell value of a GT is a little off than a sedan in the same price range. 7 is the top line of BMW luxury car, 6 is in the middle of nowhere. 7 gets a more comfortable riding experience, 6 gets a sportier look. Consider an S-class as well, its beating BMW in this segment in almost every single corner of the world, take 7 if you're also in college and don't want others looked you like a chauffeur, take S if you get child & plans to keep your car for 5 years or longer cause both will heading to their next generations at that time.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:42 AM   #8
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
7 is $10,000 more under similar specs, resell value of a GT is a little off than a sedan in the same price range. 7 is the top line of BMW luxury car, 6 is in the middle of nowhere. 7 gets a more comfortable riding experience, 6 gets a sportier look. Consider an S-class as well, its beating BMW in this segment in almost every single corner of the world, take 7 if you're also in college and don't want others looked you like a chauffeur, take S if you get child & plans to keep your car for 5 years or longer cause both will heading to their next generations at that time.
It depends how your buying the car because from new the S class is a lot more expensive than the 7 series in the UK because Mercedes don't do nearly as good deals as BMW are doing currently. It's worth considering that as looking at two cars which cost the same retail price doesn't mean they'll cost the same at all when you buy them. There can be some huge differences sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:56 AM   #9
Llewelyn
Rep
Drives: G11 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
It depends how your buying the car because from new the S class is a lot more expensive than the 7 series in the UK because Mercedes don't do nearly as good deals as BMW are doing currently. It's worth considering that as looking at two cars which cost the same retail price doesn't mean they'll cost the same at all when you buy them. There can be some huge differences sometimes.
You're right, I've never negotiate price with a Mercedes dealer, but I assume it's a harder task to handle because S sets the bar of this segment, they don't worry that much of their selling. Mercedes packages are expensive, and each of them seems to contain some very useful features and some useless ones, made it a pain to configure with limited budget.
Appreciate 0