BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

GPS with 1.5m accuracy

Current GPS technology in most consumer markets allows accuracy to 4m or 13 Feet.

Obviously that is an issue for driving as it is not accurate enough, for example, to tell which lane you are in on a multi-lane road. Even more precise directions can be given if that info is known.

A company has developed an App that allows accuracy less than 1.5m (or 4 feet) with NO Hardware upgrade.

One can see this as a potential software based upgrade to Auto GPS.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04...dware-upgrade/
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Why does GPS need to tell you what lane you're in? All it needs to tell you is what lane you NEED to be in for any junctions and the like.

13ft is more than enough for driving accuracy.

Have you noticed your gps doesn't put you on the corn field while driving down the highway, or in the oncoming lane?

If you want precise directions, use what three words.
That’s like saying we only need speedometers to show in 5MPH increments or tachs to show in 1k increments.

Clearly you have not driven on multi lane roads where there are 3-4 options and fighting to get over several lanes at the last minute can be a hassle. Furthermore, it requires you to pay close attention to the signs to figure out which of the 3-4 options are correct.

That is common around Chicago which you list as your location and others as shown below.

Also, exits are often different if you are in HOV lanes, which current GPS can not detect.

GPS accuracy less than 1.5m with will eliminate that by knowing which lane you are in and are key while moving to more autonomous driving.

As for your comment on cornfields, you seem to be be unaware of how NAV works. If you are driving 20 MPH it realizes you are not driving through the cornfield and “snaps” the position to the adjacent road.

This can be seen as one exits a highway ramp on a side adjacent road and the GPS still thinks you are on the highway for a short period of time, before “snapping” you to the Access road.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 04-11-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      04-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
That’s like saying we only need speedometers to show in 5MPH increments or tachs to show in 1k increments.

Clearly you have not driven on multi lane roads where there are 3-4 options and fighting to get over several lanes at the last minute can be a hassle. Furthermore, it requires you to pay close attention to the signs to figure out which of the 3-4 options are correct.

That is common around Chicago which you list as your location and others as shown below.

Also, exits are often different if you are in HOV lanes, which current GPS can not detect.

GPS accuracy less than 1.5m with will eliminate that by knowing which lane you are in and are key while moving to more autonomous driving.

As for your comment on cornfields, you seem to be be unaware of how NAV works. If you are driving 20 MPH it realizes you are not driving through the cornfield and “snaps” the position to the adjacent road.

This can be seen as one exits a highway ramp on a side adjacent road and the GPS still thinks you are on the highway for a short period of time, before “snapping” you to the Access road.

Um, the GPS tells you which exit to take.

Aka, you look up and read the signs like people have done for 100 years.

Also, most GPS's say which lane to stay in, anyway. They just don't know what lane you're currently in but is that really the GPS's fault if you go in the wrong lane b/c you ignored the audio instruction?
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Um, the GPS tells you which exit to take.

Aka, you look up and read the signs like people have done for 100 years.

Also, most GPS's say which lane to stay in, anyway. They just don't know what lane you're currently in but is that really the GPS's fault if you go in the wrong lane b/c you ignored the audio instruction?
Answered in previous response, while you made the case for more accurate tracking in your last paragraph.

So do you continue straight below (as GPS audio would tell you) in HOV lane to I75 N that puts you on wrong Interstate (I85 N) as GPS does not know you are in HOV lane?
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 04-11-2018 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

How much do you have invested in that app?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyxi View Post
How much do you have invested in that app?
Never heard of it prior to 12 hours ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I feel like an increasing number of human drivers are only accurate within about a meter and a half. So cool, computers will suck equally.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Answered in previous response, while you made the case for more accurate tracking in your last paragraph.

So do you continue straight below (as GPS audio would tell you) in HOV lane to I75 N that puts you on wrong Interstate (I85 N) as GPS does not know you are in HOV lane?
Or you could just not be dumb when you are driving and have some situational awareness...
Appreciate 3
Red Bread4463.00
SakhirM410783.00
      04-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Or you could just not be dumb when you are driving and have some situational awareness...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
What? Apples to oranges man...

Then clearly I have. Fighting to get into a lane at the last minute, which I see on a daily basis, is a simple the sign of a shit driver who has no clue as to their surroundings.

Irrelevant. Since most, if not all GPSs will tell you the next exit, and, at least in California if I recall (lived there for two years...so yeah, I'm aware), HOV lane exits will tell you the next exit you can reach if you stay in the HOV lane, again, that's up to the lack of attentiveness of the driver. A GPS telling you what lane you're in won't help.

Sounds like that's what your clamoring for...and should just take the bus and stop driving now.

Well aware of how it works, thanks.

As for keeping my comment into context, your point has nothing to do with my point. I was commenting on the fact that it's accurate enough to realize where you are, the direction you're going, etc. Taking a turn off to something other than what it wanted you to do has nothing to do with its alleged lack of accuracy. There too, bad driving. But if it's something intentional, then why the hell are you using nav to begin with.

WHAT? How the hell are we supposed to know as you've failed to indicate where the intended destination is supposed to be.

Let me help you in your example. Let's say you're going to Greenville. Guess what, miles before you get there, it's going to tell you that you're going to take 85 north. In the context of HOV awareness, does it matter? Do humans have the inability to determine that if you're in the second HOV lane, then you're screwed as your nav is telling you that you need to be in one of the next three lanes to your right? Or can we accurately deduce that if the big ass sign in front of you says 85 north, and you need to go to 85 north, we're probably ok where we are.

If they're in the HOV lane for 75 north, then that driver is a dumbass as they're blatantly ignoring the directions. I'm going to guess that if you follow your nav in the terrible state it's in and drive into a lake, you're going to blame the nav.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/ga...651afc63f853a1

A navigation tool is to tell you where to go (in the context of actually moving). It doesn't matter where you are in this context.
You guys won’t be happy until you go back to a Fred Flinstone foot pedaled car, technology be damned.

Have a Yabba Dabba Do Time!
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 04-11-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #10
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB 50e | e92 n54

Wow, you guys are completely missing the point.

When I use Waze or whatever GPS it can't even tell if I'm on the freeway or the access road that runs parallel to it because it's not accurate enough. They obviously each have different exits and turns. So it will sometimes give me directions that are impossible to take. It will then get confused and take some time to figure out which one I'm on after I passed the impossible turn it wanted me to take.

This accuracy would be a welcome improvement.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      04-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #11
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

i guess most people here are afraid of change or advancements?

I have a business with fleet cars and gps waze, google maps, apple maps give us issues many times.

So this is great news, maybe less Tesla crashes too if they use gps for autonomous driving. (not that there are a ton of Tesla crashes) not a Tesla hater
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      04-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 335is View Post

When I use Waze or whatever GPS it can't even tell if I'm on the freeway or the access road that runs parallel to it because it's not accurate enough. They obviously each have different exits and turns. So it will sometimes give me directions that are impossible to take. It will then get confused and take some time to figure out which one I'm on after I passed the impossible turn it wanted me to take.

This accuracy would be a welcome improvement.

I stated that, but haters gonna hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6 View Post
i guess most people here are afraid of change or advancements?

I have a business with fleet cars and gps waze, google maps, apple maps give us issues many times.
Exactly.

Of course the 2 tech haters above have tunes on their car. Funny how they are not tech haters when it comes to the precision measurements needed to increase their car performance. Of course, their BMW does fine without it, but they don’t hate on technology/precise info on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #13
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 335is View Post

...This accuracy would be a welcome improvement.
I agree. Why wouldn't we want increased accuracy. 1.5m would allow your GPS to track potholes and speed bumps.

I would welcome the accuracy as there is no downside. Can I wait till it arrives? Sure. But when it comes I will welcome it and probably pay for it.

//Rich
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:20 AM   #14
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

GPS technology is also prone to jamming. Nothing worse than using navigation to go somewhere and getting lost because the Russians jammed your GPS.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #15
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I am not quite sure why people are arguing over this.

This advancement in gps tracking is amazing news.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      04-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
I am not quite sure why people are arguing over this.

This advancement in gps tracking is amazing news.
Agree. Was initially shocked.

Trolls?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #17
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

Trolls?
This is a perfect example of Henry Ford's quote:

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4486.00
MKSixer34173.50
      04-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #18
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
On the track I found a better refresh/tracking rate (via a dedicated external GPS antenna) is the most beneficial area for improvement.
      04-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #19
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:

Trolls?
I like how you instantly jump to 'trolls' for someone that disagrees with you. More of a reflection on you, than on anyone else.

Anyways, I think this is a nice improvement on GPS accuracy, but I stand by my statement that having a little reliance on your own knowledge, and good situational awareness beats out GPS accuracy for it's impact on driving safety. Not saying you can't have both, but over-reliance on technology comes at a cost.
      04-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #20
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like how you instantly jump to 'trolls' for someone that disagrees with you. More of a reflection on you, than on anyone else.

Anyways, I think this is a nice improvement on GPS accuracy, but I stand by my statement that having a little reliance on your own knowledge, and good situational awareness beats out GPS accuracy for it's impact on driving safety. Not saying you can't have both, but over-reliance on technology comes at a cost.
Well, a kid died last night in Cincinnati because 911/GPS thought the victims car was across the street in a commercial parking lot instead of the school parking lot.

But you don’t think GPS accuracy to within 1.5M is needed.

Wonder what you would think if it was your child?
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      04-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:

Well, a kid died last night in Cincinnati because 911/GPS thought the victims car was across the street in a commercial parking lot instead of the school parking lot.

But you don't think GPS accuracy to within 1.5M is needed.

Wonder what you would think if it was your child?
Oh ffs. It's not GPS that led to that. The fundamental issue was a recall on a sixteen year old car that had been available for a decade. So who's more to blame, satellites and decoding or a car owner who didn't take a safety recall seriously? I mean, if his parents had just been whalers, he'd have had a flare gun in the car, but no, we banned whaling. So it's on all of us for not letting people shoot large mammals with harpoons.
Appreciate 2
Mandi90TT2712.00
      04-13-2018, 12:21 AM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Oh ffs. It's not GPS that led to that. The fundamental issue was a recall on a sixteen year old car that had been available for a decade. So who's more to blame, satellites and decoding or a car owner who didn't take a safety recall seriously? I mean, if his parents had just been whalers, he'd have had a flare gun in the car, but no, we banned whaling. So it's on all of us for not letting people shoot large mammals with harpoons.
Regardless of parents not doing safety recall, the fact remains the kid would be alive today if GPS did not make police think the car was across the street in a commercial parking lot.

Funny how you are celebrating iOS 11.3 which gives more detail on your iPhone but dissing tech advances in other areas - which cost a kid their life last night.
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00