BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
Yeah, about 85% of everything that gets sold here in the States lol
And 96% of whats sold in Wally World and Tar-gei.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #24
shad0wfax
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 (E92)

I'll refer you all to the fact that China has only just now managed to make ball-point pens. Up until just a month ago, the ball-point pens used in China were made in Japan, Germany, or to a lesser extent, the USA. Also, look at Chinese automobile design and crash tests. Making a nearly perfect 0.3 mm sphere of a very hard material is a difficult process that China, self-admittedly, had failed to do for decades.

What the China does well, as a state, is provide manufacturing and labor at an extremely low cost. What China does poorly, as a state, is high precision manufacturing and high quality material control. Steel produced in foundries in China is very poor, it's why China purchases so much steel for the USA. The high quality OEM parts that are made in China are not entirely made in China. The pieces with exacting material specifications or high tolerance precision fitments are sent to China for assembly, while the less critical parts can be mass-produced and assembled in China.

Factories in China typically have very poor quality control. The OEM items coming out of China typically have a third party overseeing quality, and the production lines have very high reject rates. However, since labor is so very cheap, it can still be cheaper to produce a widget in China at a 50% reject rate than it is to produce the same widget in Japan with a Six Sigma (0.00034%) reject rate.

This has nothing to do with the genetics of the Chinese people or their race. It has everything to do with the way the state and the employers in China operate.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #25
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wfax View Post
This has nothing to do with the genetics of the Chinese people or their race. It has everything to do with the way the state and the employers in China operate.
Very true -- and it's a great example of the difference between racism and culturalism.

A country can only turn around centuries upon centuries of massively low labor expectations and sale-able goods output, hyper-elitist (read: imperial) consumerism, a near absolute lack per capita of skilled manufacturing labor, and generations upon generations of groupthink so quickly.

That China has been isolationist for nearly its entire history -- seriously, it makes North Korea look like the Branch Davidians compared to the entire North American continent -- is perhaps the biggest double-edged economic sword in history. Its population is incredibly malleable, but it's loathe to develop anything that originates beyond itself. It prefers to copy -- and apply its own traditions to the copying.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #26
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Are there "good" Chinese parts ?
They have a successful space program so I'm gonna say yes. Now, parts for your car? Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #27
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Thats not foil or pot metal.....its "Chineseium"

Its name on the periodic table is "Pu" and its atomic weight is highly variable......

This is the key ingredient in Trump buildings
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Weird, I just replaced my iPhone battery and wifi antenna and the previous post about the Chinese not making small things well makes me laugh.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 04:23 AM   #29
shad0wfax
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Weird, I just replaced my iPhone battery and wifi antenna and the previous post about the Chinese not making small things well makes me laugh.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.34d77be66492

"Manufacturing a ballpoint pen tip that can write comfortably for a long period of time requires high-precision machinery and precisely thin steel, but for years China was unable to match those crafted by foreign companies."

I rest my case.
Appreciate 0