BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Should I reconsider parting ways with my e92?
Keep e92 and keep modding it 8 40.00%
Pick up a Lotus (and likely a second DD) 2 10.00%
Look into another more streetable sports car 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

08-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335i xDrive MSport

Keep my e92 or get something else?

So I've been building up an e92 since I purchased it 2 years ago and so far I've loved every bit of it (FBO, Cobb, coilovers, M3 front strut tower bar) and have been planning on doing the next stage of upgrades just before the winter sets in (PS2 and possibly some more M3 suspension bits).

Insert current situation: my folks need a new car and are thinking about buying mine at market value and letting me pick up something else. I've been looking recently at a Lotus Elise as a viable/affordable sports car I know it's not an apples to apples comparison between the two, but I'm wondering how viable this may be in terms of being a replacement. I know it's not exactly a "practical" car in any way, even more so given I live in Ohio where we see plenty of snow. But I'm wondering if anyone's considered taking the plunge or if it would be worth it to do so given the uniqueness and performance aspects.

FWIW, I'm relatively short 5'6" and given my car is on coils now and I have no problem at all with the harshness of the ride as it stands - I've taken it on road trips as far as 9 hours with little complaint (aside from the passengers ).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

yikes, not as a replacement I think you'd hate dding it. Since your only 5'6 you may fit in it quite well but you may want to test drive it prior. One of my college buddies teacher had an exige and he would takes us in it from time to time. Awesome effing car but cramped as hell.
      08-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

My friend has an Exige S and it's just not for me. It's way too tiny and unrefined for me. He's really tall and still fits fine, but it's not a good DD.
Appreciate 1
DoctoRx52.00
      08-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
the lotus is a great 4th car, not really a dd
Appreciate 2
DoctoRx52.00
Dackelone10522.50
      08-18-2016, 12:45 AM   #5
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the responses everyone - that's kind of the same idea that keeps going through my head. Initially it seemed like a terrible idea - but my mind keeps tracing back to the first real challenge I had taking the car out. I was riding the mountains and remembered having a tough time keeping through high speed technical turns with another car I was trailing. Originally I'd thought to opt to forego the PS2 and pick up M3 RSB, Upgrade to front spherical bearings and maybe UUC front and rear sways before my next run at the mountains, but then this option presented itself.

For those who think it's a poor choice in a DD (which I can agree considering I don't live someplace like SoCal, Houston, or Florida), what would be ideas for another similarly priced equal (or better) performing vehicles. The only thing that comes to mind was perhaps an 06/07 Cayman S. With that though, I'd need to acquire a TPC turbo kit to make it as quick as I'd be in an e92 with a PS2 turbo and proper suspension upgrades. Not sure of any other relatively comparable vehicles in price range, capable of daily duty and track duty one in the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #6
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

The Elise is unforgiving, and i don't think it has the best build quality either. Fun car though.

Are you sure your folks know what they are getting into with your modified 335? Maybe you should be telling them to get something comfortable and reliable?
DoctoRx52.00
      08-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
omega145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 Xdrive

Pretty neat that the E92 is going to go to your folks so at least you know that it won't be too far and you'll have a chance to drive it every now and again. Test drive a couple Lotus that you are interested in and take it from there. Everyone can give your their own personal opinions and experiences but nothing can replace your own feelings.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Are you sure your folks know what they are getting into with your modified 335? Maybe you should be telling them to get something comfortable and reliable?
My dad's first car (albeit light years ago) was a VW Beatle with a Porsche motor in it - he's no stranger to modified cars. Albeit, I'm sure he'll likely complain that it sits a touch too low for his tastes, he'd be more than happy to take it 0-100 on the long stretch leading into their place every day on the way home. He might even be happier if I install the PS2 before sending it to him.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

If you want a new project which will handle on rails when set up correctly, try to find a E36 M3 or regular. Engine swap. Plenty of fun to be had there.

I'd skip the Lotus though. Yeesh.
DoctoRx52.00
      08-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Why the need to turbo a Cayman S? They're great as is. If that is of concern to you that it doesn't have character as a turbo car, just get a turbo car. I wouldn't mess with the character of the Cayman. Get a Cayman GTS and call it a day.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Having owned both.. the lotus is a terrible single car. (This is also why you see so many with few miles). Unrefined, temperamental, extremely expensive for any form of "collision", insurance can be hard to get, ride rough, have no utility, etc. etc.

They are AWESOME second cars, or track cars. No doubt about that. Nothing drives like a lotus.

As for a "better" DD. It's going to be very difficult to beat BMW. That is sort of their thing. I would say look at the Cayman as many others have stated, otherwise if you don't care about image a new Camaro/mustang provide a lot of value while still being somewhat capable as a DD
Appreciate 1
DoctoRx52.00
      08-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #12
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Golf R as another option, Haldex AWD and plenty fast. It may not be on your list either, but a Civic Type-R down the line as a good DD. May not have the same interior or "sex appeal" as a BMW, but they can be fun.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 03:14 AM   #13
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
As for a "better" DD. It's going to be very difficult to beat BMW. That is sort of their thing. I would say look at the Cayman as many others have stated, otherwise if you don't care about image a new Camaro/mustang provide a lot of value while still being somewhat capable as a DD
Appreciate the input particularly as someone who's owned both. Yeah, I've got a friend in the medical field trying to talk me into the Mustang GT350/GT350R currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
Why the need to turbo a Cayman S? They're great as is. If that is of concern to you that it doesn't have character as a turbo car, just get a turbo car. I wouldn't mess with the character of the Cayman. Get a Cayman GTS and call it a day.
I think those cars would be fun regardless of forced induction or not. I was thinking more so for the Gen 1 versions to have acceleration that would match an e92 with a PS2 upgrade. If cost wasn't prohibitive I'd opt for the GT4 as it's in line with what I'm looking for (DD with about 400-450WHP). They're not selling as good as they'd hoped around where I live so maybe time will tell if that will become an option down the line. I'm not about to pay a $30-40K Porsche tax over MRSP. For all that, I'd just pick up a 996 turbo and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #14
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
I would go for an Exige, not the Elise, over the 335 any day & twice on Sunday. However, I would not have that as my only car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctoRx View Post
Appreciate the input particularly as someone who's owned both. Yeah, I've got a friend in the medical field trying to talk me into the Mustang GT350/GT350R currently.

I think those cars would be fun regardless of forced induction or not. I was thinking more so for the Gen 1 versions to have acceleration that would match an e92 with a PS2 upgrade. If cost wasn't prohibitive I'd opt for the GT4 as it's in line with what I'm looking for (DD with about 400-450WHP). They're not selling as good as they'd hoped around where I live so maybe time will tell if that will become an option down the line. I'm not about to pay a $30-40K Porsche tax over MRSP. For all that, I'd just pick up a 996 turbo and call it a day.
Ah understood. Shop around for a GT4 out of state and you may be able to find some $5k over or even at MSRP. It's worth looking in to if you are capable of purchasing a 100k car...

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #16
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZ06 View Post
I would go for an Exige, not the Elise, over the 335 any day & twice on Sunday. However, I would not have that as my only car.
I guess it would depend on the purpose, the exige is more of a dedicated track car. The removable roof on the elise would be nice to just enjoy going out on a nice road and wouldn't feel quite as claustrophobic.

Quote:
I wonder how fast the new turbo Cayman S will be with a flash tune
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #17
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

If I were in your shoes I'd get something like the Golf R to DD and then an older Boxster for fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #18
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
I guess it would depend on the purpose, the exige is more of a dedicated track car. The removable roof on the elise would be nice to just enjoy going out on a nice road and wouldn't feel quite as claustrophobic.

You are misinformed. The Exige also has the targa top. A good friend had an Exige & it was his DD. I had driven it numerous times & it's TONS of fun. Just upgrade the stereo & good to go. Get one with the touring pkg (power windows & leather seats) Go drive an Exige.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #19
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZ06 View Post
You are misinformed. The Exige also has the targa top. A good friend had an Exige & it was his DD. I had driven it numerous times & it's TONS of fun. Just upgrade the stereo & good to go. Get one with the touring pkg (power windows & leather seats) Go drive an Exige.
Nice, you learn something new every day. Would love to have an elise/exige
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 01:16 AM   #20
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah understood. Shop around for a GT4 out of state and you may be able to find some $5k over or even at MSRP. It's worth looking in to if you are capable of purchasing a 100k car...
The MSRP is about 85K - I'd rather not spend THAT much on a car right now. Assuming I take an identical loan out (5 years 0.9%) for my next car, I wouldn't be able to even consider purchasing one for another year or two, and I'd have to make some lifestyle adjustments as I tend to travel at least once a month. A 996 or 997 turbo for my price range would be more feasible and would definitely be a hell of a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Hopefully once the stage 2 (and if they bring the stage 3 over from the 987) it'll make close to what the 987's made. I'm not a fan of the Stage 1 that's out right now because it doesn't come intercooled. Also FWIW it also doesn't run based off the standard ECU, it runs via piggyback since they released it before they could crack the ECU.
Appreciate 0