BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Wow, you can get $400 of the $450 back in year 1. Not bad. Chase UR is pro better than AMEX MR these days
      08-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #24
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
I'm considering it....but what to do with the sapphire preferred? Also, just curious, will this card be made of metal as well? Small thing, but would be cool
Down grade it to a no fee card or if you prefer, transfer credit line to other cards and cancel the Preferred.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #25
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'm considering it....but what to do with the sapphire preferred? Also, just curious, will this card be made of metal as well? Small thing, but would be cool
Likely, I wouldn't cancel overall credit, just replace it. Try opening up a Freedom or Sapphire civic card with no AF but same credit limit before cancelling Preferred.

You just need another card with UR to retain your points, and I assume you're canceling Reserve after year 1?
      08-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #26
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
My bad... You gents are correct... This must be a new card - I have the chase sapphire base model... Without exec pack or comp pack...
There are 3 now:

Base, no AF - Civic
Preferred, $100 AF - ZCP
Reserve, $450 AF - GTS
Oh good... At least I have comp pack lol...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #27
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Likely, I wouldn't cancel overall credit, just replace it. Try opening up a Freedom or Sapphire civic card with no AF but same credit limit before cancelling Preferred.

You just need another card with UR to retain your points, and I assume you're canceling Reserve after year 1?
Nah, I would keep UR and use that as my primary. I've never cancelled a card before. I just keep it in store and use only when I need it or see incentive in using it (specific airlines or hotel chains).

Would getting the UR & downgrading my ZCP SP to a no fee cc be advisable (assuming I transfer all my appoints appropriately)?

Lastly, why would one cancel after just one year? Wouldn't that give you derogatory mark on your credit report?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #28
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
But we all know ZCP barely gets you any Street cred these days
      08-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #29
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
But we all know ZCP barely gets you any Street cred these days
At the time, there was no mention of the GTS coming out !!! She was bad ass until yesterday apparently...
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      08-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #30
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nah, I would keep UR and use that as my primary. I've never cancelled a card before. I just keep it in store and use only when I need it or see incentive in using it (specific airlines or hotel chains).

Would getting the UR & downgrading my ZCP SP to a no fee cc be advisable (assuming I transfer all my appoints appropriately)?

Lastly, why would one cancel after just one year? Wouldn't that give you derogatory mark on your credit report?
My point is, you need another UR card to retain all your earnings from Sapphire when you cancel Sapphire. There aren't many no fee UR cards, but if you were to cancel an AF Sapphire, you'll need to open another card first in the UR program before canceling.

Also for the sake of just retaining points, it's silly to pay an annual fee, so that's why get a Freedom or base Sapphire. If you already have a Freedom, you're good to go, just open another credit line, or increase current ones before canceling.
      08-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #31
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My point is, you need another UR card to retain all your earnings from Sapphire when you cancel Sapphire. There aren't many no fee UR cards, but if you were to cancel an AF Sapphire, you'll need to open another card first in the UR program before canceling.

Also for the sake of just retaining points, it's silly to pay an annual fee, so that's why get a Freedom or base Sapphire. If you already have a Freedom, you're good to go, just open another credit line, or increase current ones before canceling.
I was thinking of opening UR alongside of SP, then transferring points from SP to UR (I think TPG suggested doing it this way), and then downgrading SP.

I read somewhere that if you upgrade your SP to UR, you are ineligible for the 100k points bonus.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #32
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

My take on this new card is:

- similar to Amex Platinum
- can get almost all of your AF back in year 1
- no value in paying AF in year 2, so have a backup plan when you do cancel
- not better than Amex Platinum in terms of airport lounge access. Plat also gets priority pass + Delta lounge + it's own Centurion lounge, the latter the best in the business.
- Amex platinum gets you gold status at rental cars and Hilton's. Basically getting you free upgrades and free breakfast.
- Amex MR points are a bit of more hassle to transfer than UR
- you can get all your AF back in year 1 on Amex, whereas you still have a $50 left over on Reserve card
      08-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #33
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
A message to all you travel buffs.

$450 Annual Fee

100,000 bonus points (Spend $4,000 in first 3 months)
3X points on Dining
3X points on travel
$300 Travel credit (yearly)
TSA Pre/Global Entry credit (Every 4 years) - I think these are good for 5 years.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
Access 900+ VIP airport lounges worldwide with Priority PassT

This is going to be the best travel card yet I think.
Sounds almost like a carbon copy of the AmEx platinum card but without the 3x point bonus, they replace that with the $200 annual airline credit and gold status at various hotels and rental car companies.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #34
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Also note, Amex is a once in lifetime deal. You can never sign up for the same card bonus again.

Chase has a 5/24 rule. 5 approved cards over 24 months, and have to wait 24 months to get same bonus card
      08-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #35
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

If I didn't have the Delta Plat Amex, I'd be all over this. With diamon medallion benefits shrinking every year, I may take this up regardless and switch allegiance (after being delta diamond for many years).

For those thinking of doing this, always look at what airlines you can transfer those ponts to.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #36
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
I was thinking of opening UR alongside of SP, then transferring points from SP to UR (I think TPG suggested doing it this way), and then downgrading SP.

I read somewhere that if you upgrade your SP to UR, you are ineligible for the 100k points bonus.
You read correctly.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #37
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:

- not better than Amex Platinum in terms of airport lounge access. Plat also gets priority pass + Delta lounge + it's own Centurion lounge, the latter the best in the business.
- Amex platinum gets you gold status at rental cars and Hilton's. Basically getting you free upgrades and free breakfast.
- you can get all your AF back in year 1 on Amex, whereas you still have a $50 left over on Reserve card
One important thing to keep in mind is that if you travel a lot, the Amex card should not be your card of choice since it is not as widely accepted as Visa.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #38
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Already carry amex platinum (strictly for benefits of international travel, don't really spend on it)!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #39
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
I am downgrading mine to a Chase Freedom Unlimited. Zero need for a Sapphire Preferred once you have Sapphire Reserve.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 08-23-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #40
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:

Year 2, you still get $300 travel expense, so it's always $150 AF if you fly, stay in hotels, or take taxi/uber at least once per year. There are many things that are coded as travel fee, so it's better than an airline credit.

The $300 in travel credit is every year.

3X points on dining and travel can add up fast.

The points program can transfer 1:1 on 11 airlines, so much better than AMX Platinum. If you use this card a lot, particularly on travel and dining, the points (miles) can add up quickly.

After my bonus, I'll have almost 500,000 points. 500,000 miles with Singapore Air can get me several first class tickets in suites.

Chase needs to add a rental/hotel perk.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #41
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Year 2, you still get $300 travel expense, so it's always $150 AF if you fly, stay in hotels, or take taxi/uber at least once per year. There are many things that are coded as travel fee, so it's better than an airline credit.

The points program can transfer 1:1 on 11 airlines, so much better than AMX Platinum. If you use this card a lot, particularly on travel and dining, the points (miles) can add up quickly.

After my bonus, I'll have almost 500,000 points. 500,000 miles with Singapore Air can get me several first class tickets in suites.

care to share how you accumulated 500,000?
      08-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #42
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
One important thing to keep in mind is that if you travel a lot, the Amex card should not be your card of choice since it is not as widely accepted as Visa.
when I travel, I just use my Schwab Online Checking Visa debit card. It credits you all ATM access fees around the world. I prefer to use cash abroad anyways. At least the places I go to and spend money at are cash only.
      08-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #43
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

care to share how you accumulated 500,000?
I'm assuming he flies a lot... I have (had before the long distance treks coast to coast) and that was off of a few years of flying...

That's just airline miles... Not including the chase sapphire and chase united mileage plus miles I received...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #44
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

you kind of proved my point, so you still have $150 left over of fees. Ideally, you should pay no fees to retain your points. It sucks carrying that much fees just to retain points, unless in you case, you're sitting on over $5000 worth of points, then you pay to play.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-23-2016 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0