BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #45
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
Same, got Google Fi in Feb of this year. I'm on wifi probably about 90% of the time, and I put my mp3 library onto my phone (all 25gb of it) so I don't stream music while sitting in traffic. My bill comes to about $25 a month.

Also, their customer service is amazing. I dropped my phone a month ago and cracked the screen. I didn't buy any insurance or protection plan on the phone so I thought I was screwed and tried to fix it myself. At that point the phone still worked just with the cracks. After taking it apart and putting on the new screen, I completely broke the phone. Called up Google expecting to have to buy a new phone, and they next day aired me a refurbished phone at no cost to me.
They have to build a customer base some how.
      09-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #46
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJVegita
they make valid points. Those plans arent unlimted at all. The minute you reach your cap, u barely even dl at 3g speeds. Your device becomes deproritized as well meaning if you connect to a tower that is over capacitated which happens all the time, say your stuck in traffic you and your unlimted data plan are not even going to be able to watch a low quality you tube video.

People seriously need to actually read your plans tiny print to see what your actually paying for. I am a power user and had tmobile unlimited and i left asap. To summerize my device always was low priority on the towers and I barely could dl at a trickle more or less even 3g......

I switch to verizon and at least i know what I am paying for it and I get the actual date i am paying for whenever I want where ever I want. And with roll over data. I just relaxed for a month or so and used lots of wifi and carried over tons of data to the point i dont ever come close to my monthly cap and keep carrying more over.
That's interesting I was at Verizon two days ago. Every time a carrier introduces a disruptive plan I check out the other carriers to ensure I'm still getting the best deal (currently with ATT).

Verizon told me their data carries over, but for one month only. And the carry over data is used only after the current months data is consumed. Maybe you are on a different plan.
      09-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #47
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
That's interesting I was at Verizon two days ago. Every time a carrier introduces a disruptive plan I check out the other carriers to ensure I'm still getting the best deal (currently with ATT).

Verizon told me their data carries over, but for one month only. And the carry over data is used only after the current months data is consumed. Maybe you are on a different plan.
I was told differently. I was told the carry over data is used first, before the current month's data. The CSR went into great detail about how if I carried over 4GB, my next month usage would continue to use that 4GB. If I used it all, then it would start using the current month's data. But if I didn't use all 4GB carried over, it would be gone.

I haven't seen anything in writing about it, so maybe she had it wrong and was feeding me a line of bull to get me to switch to the newer plan, which I was going to do anyway.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #48
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

No skin in this game but these sales reps/CSR's sound no better than BMW sales/service advisors who don't really know their product. Get the paper contract and read it...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #49
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

The CSR that spoke to me was wrong. Xtabi is right, the carryover data only kicks in when you use up all your current data. From their FAQ page:

Quote:
Do I use my Carryover Data before I use my monthly data allowance?

You'll begin using your Carryover Data after you've used all of your monthly data allowance and Bonus Data.
So it's more like insurance or overdraft protection. Not quite as attractive as it would be if it was the other way around, but still more data than I'll ever need. I used my full 6GB twice in the past 4 years and both those times I was over but just by a few hundred MBs. Now I have 8GB plus whatever I carry over. Not going to be a problem.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #50
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Why are the fuckin libs so anti business? Verizon is one of the largest companies in the world and will do what they have to do to make money for their shareholders. That is their purpose above all else. If they provide a shitty product, the market will punish them and they'll change.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #51
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
NO!!!
This was my first phone. (It really was. I thought I was hot shit - hah.) I was just surprised you didn't use the term grandfather in your rebuttal. It was a sad miss. But I'll forgive it.
I had this same phone in 1995.. Only I couldn't afford any plan so I would only use it to call 911 or give my parents a collect call with the name I'm stranded on (enter street name here____) so they could come pick me up without them having to accept the $20+ charges.

Last edited by Vegetable; 09-23-2016 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
jtodd_fl6703.50
      09-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #52
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I have a 30gb monthly plan(Att) and have gone over a few times. I keep getting emails about this unlimited plan but I'm not going to change. Screw them and that throttling BS.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #53
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Had Verizon for years. I didn't like their BS fees and the fact that I could get similar service for less, so I switched. I don't plan on going back anytime soon.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      09-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #54
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

I used to have T mobile since their service plan is unmatched for international data. We switched to Verizon almost a year ago, so far not impressed. International data/min/texts cost sooooo much. Plus their service is now on par with verizon. Contemplating switching back.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #55
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I fucking hate Verizon!! we bought an ipad at an Apple Store and went home to activate it ourselves. Well it didn't work, brought it to Verizon for them to "perform tests" turns out it was a defective unit. Go exchange ipad at Apple Store for another new one. We activate it in the store and make sure everything is fine off we go.

Fast forward almost a year later I took a look at our bill (usually don't look, my wife just pays it online etc). Well from the first ipad we bought when we tried to activate it, it still showed up on our bill that another ipad was added to our acct. so we were being charged $10 a month for a device we didn't even have. I call Verizon and argue with them about... obviously there was never any activity on that acct. well after many heated arguments those cock suckers blame me for their mistake saying it's my fault for not regularly checking my bill and the best they would do is half of what they fucking owed me.

Obviously fuck them!!! I will never use Verizon service ever again.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      09-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #56
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I am grandfathered into the At&t plan... which is kind of unlimited...

Its unlimited until 5gb at LTE, at which point it significantly slows...

Then they got sued, and changed that limit to like 20gb... which i think is at least fair... albeit, I know my internet access still feels slow after 5gb.

Offer a fucking 10-15gb plan per month for a low price and I am good, 5gb is a load of horseshit for something that is touted as unlimited.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #57
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
I fucking hate Verizon!! we bought an ipad at an Apple Store and went home to activate it ourselves. Well it didn't work, brought it to Verizon for them to "perform tests" turns out it was a defective unit. Go exchange ipad at Apple Store for another new one. We activate it in the store and make sure everything is fine off we go.

Fast forward almost a year later I took a look at our bill (usually don't look, my wife just pays it online etc). Well from the first ipad we bought when we tried to activate it, it still showed up on our bill that another ipad was added to our acct. so we were being charged $10 a month for a device we didn't even have. I call Verizon and argue with them about... obviously there was never any activity on that acct. well after many heated arguments those cock suckers blame me for their mistake saying it's my fault for not regularly checking my bill and the best they would do is half of what they fucking owed me.

Obviously fuck them!!! I will never use Verizon service ever again.
Lol... wait till you see Comcast come into play as a network carrier... I only have cable experience with them, but it beats the above story 10x over.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #58
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Comcast was my worst nightmare when it came to cable internet. My former employer had a lot of faculty members in the area who had Comcast cable internet. Getting a VPN connection to work through their damn routers was a pain in the ass.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #59
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

I have Verizon and 4gb of data. If they charged per megabyte I would still pay for it. The service is amazing (where I am) and the speed is QUICK! So they have all the rights in the world of wireless to charge a premium for a premium service. My parents have Sprint and I literally know what area they are in by how the un-clear the phone call is.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #60
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I have experience with voice data on Sprint and AT&T. I have experience with Verizon on data only. Sprint is my carrier for my personal phones. AT&T is the carrier for my work phone. And Verizon is my carrier for my MiFi hot spot I still keep due to some times using it for work and hedging my bets on coverage.

From my experience in the DC Metro area, if I had to pay the more expensive rates of AT&T over what I pay for with Sprint, I'd be F'n mad. I've had numerous dropped calls while the phone showed full bars. I deal with the issues with Sprint because it's cheaper and I know what I'm dealing with. Data rates between Sprint and AT&T are a toss up depending on where I am in the DC Metro area and when I travel. Recently, I had a lunch meeting with a coworker. We were sitting at the same spot in the restaurant. I was getting calls and he showed no service. Both of us are on the company's AT&T plan. Some of the poor suckers in the company had to get T-Mobile. The people who had to get service through T-Mobile most of them were not happy. Some of them raised a stink with the company which finally allowed them to switch over to AT&T.

As far as cell service in this country, it's a joke in general. I was on my honeymoon in Puerto Rico. With my crappy Sprint service, I was able to make calls with no problems there along with pulling full LTE service tested at 30 Mbps down. I was even able to have full service out in the middle of the F'n Atlantic taking the ferry to Vieques. I only lost service 3/4 of the way to the island. Once on the island I was able to get full high quality service. To me that's extremely embarrassing for how service is hyped up here in the States.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      09-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #61
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Comcast was my worst nightmare when it came to cable internet. My former employer had a lot of faculty members in the area who had Comcast cable internet. Getting a VPN connection to work through their damn routers was a pain in the ass.
Comcast has actually been pretty good for me. If you want piss poor service try Media Com. I have them as my only choice at my beach property. Absolutely the worst. Constant drop outs as evidenced by the email alerts I get from the Honeywell Connected Thermostat. Skype calls have been unstable. And my corporate VPN has trouble staying up there.

With the stuff I run out of my house, I'm surprised Comcast hasn't sent me a nasty letter asking what the heck I'm doing from my residential circuit. I have a constant VPN tunnel running between my beach property to my home providing VoIP. I constantly connect into my home network from remote locations using my SSL VPN system. I had a web server running for while which I only recently shut down. And then all the various virtual machines pulling data from various sources on the Internet. The only thing I knock Comcast on is their restriction on purchasing static IPs. I have to change over to business class service which more than doubles what I pay now depending on the level of speed I select. Oh and the fact they're not following FIOS and providing symmetrical service.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #62
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I have Mediacom. The service isn't bad. Right around 6PM, when folks are finishing dinner and every kid in the area jumps on the internet, we see a minor drop in speed, but it's not bad. It's a vast improvement over 3 or 4 years ago when we could barely pull 5Mb/s down and 512k up. Now we're at ~45Mb/s down and 10 up. I stream MLB.TV through my Roku box and that buffers a bit, but that's mostly due to my Roku being on my wifi instead of hard wired.

I gave up trying to get a static IP out of the ISPs. I have a domain name that points to my router and I run a dynamic DNS app on my PC at home that checks the IP every few hours and updates the domain DNS record. The IP rarely changes anyway. I think I've had the same one for 2 years now. I pay ~$67/month for decent speed and I think I'm capped at 300GB or something silly like that.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #63
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm running dynamic DNS too; actually with two different services. The issue I ran into wasn't due to my public IP changing. It's due to needing more IPs for the stuff I run. I have a couple of systems which use the same ports but I can't reassign them.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #64
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Years ago I had two static IPs from Mediacom. It cost me extra, of course. Not quite like paying for two accounts, but there was an extra charge. But then I left Mediacom for a year or two and now that I'm back with them I don't think they do that any more, although I haven't asked.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #65
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Verizon sucks balls on data and I've been with them for 6 years...just switched back to ATT this summer because I have DirecTV and the unlimited data (throttle at 22GB, MAYBE), is just worth it for $100/month.

Driving to FL this summer with the wife was amazing because we watched a lot of movies and shows while on the road. End of month data usage was 150GB
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13653.00
DSB335d1320.50
      09-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #66
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Years ago I had two static IPs from Mediacom. It cost me extra, of course. Not quite like paying for two accounts, but there was an extra charge. But then I left Mediacom for a year or two and now that I'm back with them I don't think they do that any more, although I haven't asked.
Yeah, it sucks the ISPs are not doing that anymore. I really only need 2 static IPs. Heck, if I could do 2 dynamic IPs on my circuit, I would go with that. Comcast only allows me to get more than 1 IP if I move to business class service. But here's the catch if I do that. I have to purchase/rent a block of 5 IPs. That in itself isn't that bad as they're only charging $10 extra per month. It's the base service which really kills me. If I remember correctly, 50/10 service was around $149 a month. 100/20 service was around $189 or so a month. The only difference I'm seeing in the service plans is the ability to get static IPs, the business class SLA, and better upload speeds per tier of speed.

I couldn't swallow the doubling of my monthly bills to get those features as my residential service has been pretty reliable along with the contracted speeds at 100/10.
Appreciate 0