BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Has anyone considered the M5?

I know they are both in an entirely different market segment but I am actually considering to cross shop them as they both cost the same.If I am not wrong there was some one on this forum who moved from a 7 to a new M5.I would like to get some input about these cars from anyone who has considered the M5.Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
I doubt as much of a discount can be had on the M5, as on the current 7.

So, with that said, size is obviously a big difference. I LOVE the interior size of my 750i, but the power of the M5 is a huge draw for me. Haven't gotten to extensively drive the M5, but it's clearly the better performance car.

I think the question to ask oneself is where your priorities lie: power vs comfort.

An M5 can be set up and configured to be more comforable, and a 7 can be switched into dynamic mode. In the end, which kind of driving do you spend more time doing?

Also, whenever buying new, I prefer to lease. The leases on the 7s are much more attractive vs. the M5. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I went from a 535i to a 750Li. The 7 has a lot of road presence, more people turn their heads when they see a 29 year old driving a big BMW. IMO, the 7 is the most beautiful full size luxury sedan. It's very masculine and oozes class. On the flip side, I miss how smaller and nimble the F10 is. Also, you're correct on the discount of the M5 vs 750. Due to the rare nature of the M5, don't expect the dealer to give you a $100k M5 for $15k off. As for comfort, they're both comfortable to drive. Once you're in M mode, that's another story.

If I had the funds, I would go back to an F10 - especially an M5. I hope that helps push you over the edge.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Kool Aid and other enhancements...

M5 is 5 series with enhanced performance. Yet most of it's enhanced performance is purely academic and is irrelevant on US roads under 99.99% of driving conditions.

The 7 series has the same or better performance (750xi in inclement weather) than the M5 under those same 99.99%, but with luxury and creature comforts a 5 series, albeit with engine sounds piped through the stereo, simply doesn't have the DNA to match. Just say no to MKool Aid...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I tried a M5 with with DCT and was bored after the first ten minutes.I am a Stick shift guy.I have a 135i now for my daily needs but squeezing my family into it once in a while is becoming painful.We wanted to upgrade into a larger luxury car.I was almost convinced of buying a Manual M5 until I drove the M5 with DCT.Its fast, handles well for its size but its not sporty enough for me.It is trying to be an all in one car but IMHO fails to be awesome at everything.Its decent- good at everything though[luxury and sportiness].

I test drove a 750 li xdrive and loved the fact that it does its intended job[carrying 4 adults in luxury] very well.I felt that in the ~ 100 K range the 750li X drive was a better value/practical than an M5 for my usage.After a lot of thought [keeping my ego aside]I felt that M5 wouldn't be a very practical car.A heavy,560hp, RWD car which gives 14mpg just didn't make sense in the North.

I looked at the A8 and it felt like some 60yr old guys car.Audi's styling just did not strike me.The only decent looking car in Audi is an S7[havent test driven yet though].I test drove the S4/S5 and the steering sucked.
So now here I am thinking that a 7 series would be a better choice and then I come across a post from one of the members who turned in his/her 7 series and moved to a M5.I was wondering what forced him to do this.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
DBV
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
I was wondering what forced him to do this.
Why not PM him/her directly?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
Why not PM him/her directly?
I forgot his username...I just read one of his random posts ...can't find that post now..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
oryshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10M5/335AH

A better comparison is the M5 and the B7. I came out of a 750lix to an M5 and let me tell you that they are in different leagues in terms of dynamics - different planets, and it's not just felt .1% of the time but pretty constantly. The 750 was a bore but super comfortable. The M5 isn't in the same league in terms of comfort. It's not a raw car and it is comfy, but not in the 7 league. Also, in terms of presence, it doesn't have the 7 presence. BUT it is a very fast machine. I was very torn between the B7 and the M5, chose the M5 and still regret it at times.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryshi View Post
A better comparison is the M5 and the B7. I came out of a 750lix to an M5 and let me tell you that they are in different leagues in terms of dynamics - different planets, and it's not just felt .1% of the time but pretty constantly. The 750 was a bore but super comfortable. The M5 isn't in the same league in terms of comfort. It's not a raw car and it is comfy, but not in the 7 league. Also, in terms of presence, it doesn't have the 7 presence. BUT it is a very fast machine. I was very torn between the B7 and the M5, chose the M5 and still regret it at times.
Finally,I was looking for you to respond.I was looking for a luxury car for the family and a sporty car with a stick for myself.I thought that the m5 with a stick would cover both the needs.I drove an m5 with duct and was disappointed.It does move and turn the right way but everything feels artificial and too heavy for a sports car.At that price I felt that the 750 li would be a better car for the family.I have spoken to few M5 owners who ended up having second thoughts on their choice after the initial excitement faded away.I was wondering about your input about both the cars.I am concerned about the size of the 7 to drive in a small town(,but see people drive huge trucks fine ).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
oryshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10M5/335AH

Quote:
Finally,I was looking for you to respond.I was looking for a luxury car for the family and a sporty car with a stick for myself.I thought that the m5 with a stick would cover both the needs.I drove an m5 with duct and was disappointed.It does move and turn the right way but everything feels artificial and too heavy for a sports car.At that price I felt that the 750 li would be a better car for the family.I have spoken to few M5 owners who ended up having second thoughts on their choice after the initial excitement faded away.I was wondering about your input about both the cars.I am concerned about the size of the 7 to drive in a small town(,but see people drive huge trucks fine ).
I think that for you the 7 would probably be a better car for the family. obviously it's bigger, more comfortable, etc. I live in LA and there are tons of 5 and 7 series everywhere. The 7 is a striking car and the 5 not so much. But the M5 isn't really a regular 5 series - It is a very advanced performance sedan with power and torque of a supercar. It might take more than a 10 min drive to realize that it had it's own character, and it's personality is much more diverse than the 7. it is a more compelling car to drive daily between the two, but it does have some flaws: the steering, although much more precise and fun than the 7, is rather dead and the suspension is busy and noisy in the rear. I keep the steering in sport plus and the suspension in sport all the time. Also, the car just doesn't make the right noise. The DCT is fantastic, however. What I can tell you for sure is that it isn't a boring car and is quite entertaining due to it's amazing ability to gather up speed at a blink of an eye… The 7 is super refined but isn't fun nor interesting, at least it wasn't for me. It is super competent and super comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryshi View Post
I think that for you the 7 would probably be a better car for the family. obviously it's bigger, more comfortable, etc. I live in LA and there are tons of 5 and 7 series everywhere. The 7 is a striking car and the 5 not so much. But the M5 isn't really a regular 5 series - It is a very advanced performance sedan with power and torque of a supercar. It might take more than a 10 min drive to realize that it had it's own character, and it's personality is much more diverse than the 7. it is a more compelling car to drive daily between the two, but it does have some flaws: the steering, although much more precise and fun than the 7, is rather dead and the suspension is busy and noisy in the rear. I keep the steering in sport plus and the suspension in sport all the time. Also, the car just doesn't make the right noise. The DCT is fantastic, however. What I can tell you for sure is that it isn't a boring car and is quite entertaining due to it's amazing ability to gather up speed at a blink of an eye… The 7 is super refined but isn't fun nor interesting, at least it wasn't for me. It is super competent and super comfortable.
Thanks for your input.I will try to test drive one this weekend[M5 with stick shift is 6hrs away].If i am not impressed will probably end up with a car with auto for the family.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I test drove the M5 yesterday with the stick...ummm still not convinced .The fun factor[for me ] is better in the manual.its a little more involving but man the vehicle just cant shrug off its weight.It felt like you are driving a high speed train.Its unbelievably quick and handles pretty well for its weight but between the road noise and the heavy feeling,i just wasn't impressed.When I buy my cars[not the family cruisers]I usually fall in love after the test drive.IMHO a sporty car should make you feel that you are a part of the machine once you sit in it.This one... i tried hard to like it.I had a smile when ever it took the curves[impressive for its size] and that's about it.I even tried the Audi s6.I couldn't turn away from how cheaper the interiors looked compared to a regular 5 series.I am going to test drive a cayman [911 c4s if i can] today.If i like the stick in the porsche I plan to just buy a quite family car[ 5series or 7 series]this time around and start saving for my porshe.In my book I would rather wait and have two cars which do their job well than buy a car that tried to be the jack of all trades.If the porsche doesnt cut it for me I might end up in the M5.I am only 35 and have a feeling that this would be last chance to own an m5 .I liked the 7 series for what its meant to offer though.Wish me luck finding my next car.This thing for hunting for the next car is taxing and I wish it was easier than this....

Off topic though,,just for the sake of info.when would the new 7 series be released.Is it going to be in 2015 as a 2016 Model?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
DBV
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
If i like the stick in the porsche I plan to just buy a quite family car[ 5series or 7 series]this time around and start saving for my porshe.In my book I would rather wait and have two cars which do their job well than buy a car that tried to be the jack of all trades.
That's my plan.

I'll enjoy my 7 right now for comfort, while I continue to save for a 997.2 GT3 RS
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I went from a 535i to a 750Li. The 7 has a lot of road presence, more people turn their heads when they see a 29 year old driving a big BMW. IMO, the 7 is the most beautiful full size luxury sedan. It's very masculine and oozes class. On the flip side, I miss how smaller and nimble the F10 is. Also, you're correct on the discount of the M5 vs 750. Due to the rare nature of the M5, don't expect the dealer to give you a $100k M5 for $15k off. As for comfort, they're both comfortable to drive. Once you're in M mode, that's another story.

If I had the funds, I would go back to an F10 - especially an M5. I hope that helps push you over the edge.
15k is doable.

12k has already been offered on remaining 2013s.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I test drove a cayman s with a stick and came out grinning.If driving pleasure is what you are looking here,this is very very strong contender.the stick in porsche is definitely superior to what bmw offers.For my needs I think an M5 would be a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
750iguymiami
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 - Alpine White

Actually just traded in my 13 M5 for the 750i. Much
Happier. Fantastic ride. Handling. Technology.
Got the 2014 750i sport. Alpine white. Car is just
Stunning. Good luck with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

German Autobuild mag just picked the 7 over the new S and Panamera. A glowing endorsement for a mature car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

I have both. The M5 just isn't as good as a daily driver as the 750. It does handle better, but to drive to somewhere to be able to use it I'd rather have the 7. But man, some times in the morning when I step out into the garage it is hard to choose which one to take.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieseke View Post
I have both. The M5 just isn't as good as a daily driver as the 750. It does handle better, but to drive to somewhere to be able to use it I'd rather have the 7. But man, some times in the morning when I step out into the garage it is hard to choose which one to take.
Can you elaborate on the 'handles better' part? Oh, and sorry to hear about your occasional morning dilemma....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

The M5 is a far better driver's car. The steering is just right - not too heavy like some of the newer BMWs but not too light like some over boosted machine from the days of yore. The M5 (the beast) is telepathic with steering - you turn in and the machine just takes it. You can bring the steering back after a corner by putting the throttle down. Since it has the paddle shifts that hold the gear to redline - it feels like it wants to go. It has considerably more power than the 7 so it is quicker too. The problem with it is, if you just want to cruise serenely from one side of the country to another, it isn't very good. Since it is always on, even when the machine is in comfort mode, the beast just doesn't let you relax like the 7.

The 7 you can drive for 8 hours and hop out feeling refreshed, while the beast you can drive for 8 hours and hop out feeling energized. 8 hours of energy can get tiresome.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieseke View Post

The 7 you can drive for 8 hours and hop out feeling refreshed, while the beast you can drive for 8 hours and hop out feeling energized. 8 hours of energy can get tiresome.
What if you drink the 5 hour energy drink while driving the 5 for 8 hours, will you hop out of it like you only drove for 3 hours??
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I chose the 7 and am awaiting it's delivery.For my needs again the M5 is a compromise.Its not a sports car nor a luxurious family hauler.And i wasn't thrilled with that DCT ,after the initial excitement, i got bored with the DCT within ten minutes.Sure it might perform much better on a track but I have no intentions to track my 100K car.I am a manual guy and I felt that the stick in M5 was sloppy.I test drove the 981 cayman S.Now that's a sporty car.The stick was precise and the drive was addicting.After that test drive I decided that I am going to save for one and enjoy the 750li with my family in the meanwhile.
Appreciate 0