BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
What dash cameras are you using on your 7 series?

Lately, I've been thinking of getting a dash cam for my G11 730d in the UK...as there are just too many idiots on the road and nearly every week I have some close encounter so am now considering whether to get a dash cam to help record these events in the eventuality that a collision may occur...

I've seen the various reviews on which and note that BMW have rebranded one themselves...There is now a v2 of the advanced car eye but it appears to be requiring a different rear view mirror so it looks like the original (which is quite big and may actually cause a break-in of its own as people think it is a digital camera worth stealing) or one of the aftermarket ones (which leads to how to do front and rear and not drain the battery, etc...)

So really just curious if anyone else is using dash cams on their G series 7 and if so, which ones and how do you get on with them, etc..

Thanks in advance, I did try to search if this had been discussed previously but didn't find the search tool particularly helpful (far too many threads appeared with 'advanced car eye' and also just for 'eye' as terms)...sorry if it has been discussed, please just point me to that thread and I'll read it instead! (I do note one thread on the 5 series forum but would like any G series 7 comments particularly...)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

I'm interested in this too as I've long been thinking about getting one for my 6, but now will wait till the 7 arrives so one well suited would be good. Also one that records when parked in case of any movement etc, would be good too
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

I'm using BlackVue DR-650S. I love it. With the Magic Power Battery Pack it runs 24/7 even when the car is off. Their customer support is fantastic as well.

You can hook it up to your phone to get direct live feed or watch from before. It even has an "Impact Detection" mode that will let you know if it thinks the car was hit when parked. Sometimes it can be oversensitive, such as slamming a door or trunk, but better to be safe than sorry (and you can turn that off).

Highly recommended. There's many different options depending on your budget. Also use BVBLACKGT10 for 10% off. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

BMW official one - Advanced Eye Cam 2. I'm getting one fitted to my G30. The front facing camera is flush with the RVM mounting.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
BMW official one - Advanced Eye Cam 2. I'm getting one fitted to my G30. The front facing camera is flush with the RVM mounting.
Thanks for the replies TheBlackGT and Balster, much appreciated.

I'd love to go with the v2 personally, I'll need to call and ask I guess and as the G30 is very similar if not the same regarding RVM and the windscreen area for cameras, hopefully this will be possible...

If you do get the v2 put in yours Balster, please do post a review and a few pics as it would greatly help others such as myself to decide one way or another! Thanks again for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Not had a dash cam before however coming around to the idea. Been looking into this a bit and the BMW Advanced Eye v1 is pretty old now and the picture quality not quite up to scratch compared to some of the newer models.

There's almost no information on the Advanced Eye v2 on the Internet but I did find one snippet that seems to suggest it isn't available until May 2018. However from the 2 pictures of it, looks to be much nicer than the v1.

While third party ones have lots of good options they don't seem quite as clean if that's the right way to put it. For instance the car can pick up the battery drain and alert you or the comfort access will stop working because the battery drains too low, etc. Then you need additional items to get around that, maybe another battery, etc, etc.

Hence if I do get one I'd likely pay a bit more just to have a BMW one as it will be guaranteed to cause no problems with the car. Or well if there are problems I'll have what my customers can sometimes say as "One throat to choke". Has to be a problem BMW solve

Anyway will see what reviews of the BMW v2 come up as and cost as I've not even seen that yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:55 AM   #7
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
A friend enquired about the v2 and indeed it is not yet available, I agree it looks better than the original ‘please steal me shiny metal’ chunkier look. Will also wait until the v2 is around a bit, still wondering if the v2 will attach correctly to the G models as it looks like it attaches to the rear view mirror housing area in the pics that are available. I’ve also heard that only the BMW ones don’t affect the warranty so something to investigate with new cars at least.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #8
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah unknown if it'll fit but at the same time I'd be surprised if they haven't designed it in such a way that it works. I suspect what looks like it might be attached might not clip in, instead its a pipe that they use to hide the cables. That would solve the issues of compatibility across models I suspect.

I imagine it won't be like this but it would be awesome if it functioned via the iDrive system and didn't have it's own little screen on the back like the v1. Though the sad thing is when I think of that, there's already like stereo cameras for the front plus parking cams and even side cams on some cars. The car really has all the cams it needs to do this already plus inbuilt storage they could record to.

If they were really going the whole hog they could make it a small subscription service, it uses the inbuilt SIM in the car to upload footage so you can view it anywhere plus if the car is stolen the footage doesn't get stolen with the car...

Anyway probably a pipe dream for a while but it'll likely happen sooner or later.

Indeed the BMW one sounds the most sensible option, don't want to ruin the warranty in any way.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
If I hear any developments about the v2 BMW solution I’ll post here. Want to get one fairly soon so hoping it won’t be May or later or may go with v1 model to have something.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
If I hear any developments about the v2 BMW solution I’ll post here. Want to get one fairly soon so hoping it won’t be May or later or may go with v1 model to have something.
I'd say unless your really desperate you might regret not waiting 1 - 2 more months for the v2. They aren't all that cheap and the v1 I think came out in 2015 odd, maybe a bit earlier which in tech terms makes pretty out of date.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I'd say unless your really desperate you might regret not waiting 1 - 2 more months for the v2. They aren't all that cheap and the v1 I think came out in 2015 odd, maybe a bit earlier which in tech terms makes pretty out of date.
I can certainly wait for a month or two but don't really want to be waiting another 6 months or more!

Agree that the v1 is getting a bit old in the tooth and that the v2 is far more discrete (and hopefully better, without the need to format the SD card every 3-4 weeks like the v1 apparently, if it hasn't been nicked in that time )

Will wait and see if some news develops in the next two months then and hope you are right!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #12
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I can certainly wait for a month or two but don't really want to be waiting another 6 months or more!

Agree that the v1 is getting a bit old in the tooth and that the v2 is far more discrete (and hopefully better, without the need to format the SD card every 3-4 weeks like the v1 apparently, if it hasn't been nicked in that time )

Will wait and see if some news develops in the next two months then and hope you are right!
I think your probably OK. A thief wouldn't be able to get your car out of its tightly wedged parking space
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 04:29 AM   #13
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think your probably OK. A thief wouldn't be able to get your car out of its tightly wedged parking space
heh, too true! I prefer to call it the 'cocoon' (where the car rests at night!)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #14
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

V2 due out sometime in March/April...so I have been informed.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #15
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interestingly, I want the dash cam more for when I am underway rather than parked, secure parking at home, work and generally at hotels I stay at so really just in case any idiot cuts me up and causes an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
V2 due out sometime in March/April...so I have been informed.
Brilliant, thanks very much, good to know and not long to wait then! ^

Will let my friend know as well as we both are looking to get it.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:47 AM   #16
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had a look and I see the Advanced Eye 2 has a price plus more information now on BMW's website. Sounds good, bit pricey but then I guess you knew it would be.

https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/...e-2.0/2457032/

Benefits of the BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0 at a glance:
  • automatically records events around the car – even when the vehicle is parked
  • light-sensitive sensors for detailed recordings day and night
  • GPS receiver precisely records route
  • simple operation
  • utilises advanced radar technology
  • G-Sensor detects vehicle shakings

Delivery Overview:
  • 1 Front camera.
  • 1 Rear-view camera with 8-metre cable.
  • 1 Cable for fixed installation (on-board electrical system).
  • 1 32 GB SD card, class MLC.
  • 1 Micro SD adapter on USB.
  • Extra adhesive pad for the front and rear-view camera.
  • Installing material.
  • Owner's manual.

Technical Data:
  • FHD (1.920 x 1080) progressive scan (front camera max. 60 fps, rear screen camera 30 fps).
  • Sensor 2.4 megapixels 1/3''.
  • 150° viewing angle; glass lenses.
  • CPU MIPS 450 MHz.
  • RAM 256 MB DDR3; 128 MB serial flash.
  • GPS.
  • Radar motion detection.
  • Wi-Fi 1CH 802.11 n.
  • Bluetooth Low Energy.
  • Power supply DC 12 V; Super-Cap 3.5 F, 4.5 V (emergency back-up supply).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:06 AM   #17
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
ooh, nice spot!

Will get it on order then and hope they can do it soon.

Will post info as I have it. Cheers!
      03-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #18
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ooh, nice spot!

Will get it on order then and hope they can do it soon.

Will post info as I have it. Cheers!
Yeah I've emailed my dealer about it. Maybe I can get it fitted ready for collection but if not maybe not too long after.

Let us know what info you get. Hoping that price at least includes fitting in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #19
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
When I went to buy it through the online shop, it wouldn't let me choose Bristol dealer...only one it found was Bournemouth!...

So, not sure if that is a quirk of the online portal (bloody IT guys) or simply that only available in some locations right now.

I'll call about it later at my local dealer and see what they can do and what price but likely they haven't even been told yet.

I'm going to be pessimistic to be honest and expect labour to be on top. The reason is that the original ACE setup was £440 installed so this being the next get (and therefore inevitably more expensive as newer)...expect another hundred at least over the £400 its showing as for the kit on a 7.

Let me know what your dealer says please as I may just decide to go to Bournemouth if they have it in stock or are trained to do it and mine isn't yet (or consider a car journey to a dealer that can...)

Cheers, thanks again for pointing out that it is now available.
      03-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #20
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to be pessimistic to be honest and expect labour to be on top. The reason is that the original ACE setup was £440 installed so this being the next get (and therefore inevitably more expensive as newer)...expect another hundred at least over the £400 its showing as for the kit on a 7.
Yeah I knew that would likely be the case, it's a bit of a bump over the previous one but I suspect it's also quite a bit better.

Guess it'll only be a matter of time before other dealers are selling it. Might have only just gone up, I just thought as my car was built now and getting closer I needed to get looking into things like this again just to see.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #21
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I knew that would likely be the case, it's a bit of a bump over the previous one but I suspect it's also quite a bit better.

Guess it'll only be a matter of time before other dealers are selling it. Might have only just gone up, I just thought as my car was built now and getting closer I needed to get looking into things like this again just to see.
We may be pleasantly surprised but yeah, expecting it to be a whack more...indeed do feel it will be better in quality and features over the older one at least. (as well as less obvious and less 'please nick me' )

Personally, I'd be in two minds about getting it installed before delivery....at the end of the day, you have a good relationship with the dealer and are known so shouldn't be a problem, just that I'd be cautious and get the car first, make sure no issues or 'rattles' and then get it installed so you know it was all good before and then after...as I've heard to wire the ACE's you have to remove some of the interior and the clips are notorious for breaking...so a good dealer will know this and sort it well, and your dealer must be good so no issue when you get it installed...mine, well, I may go elsewhere to get it sorted. Decent enough but not the best to be honest.

As its all BMW kit, no issues in getting it sorted in any case should anything happen during install or affect anything but I'd want to separate the two personally. (get car, ensure car okay, then install this to known all okay situation, instead of wondering if any issues are due to car or the install).

Personality point I guess really and trust in one's dealer.
      03-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #22
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
We may be pleasantly surprised but yeah, expecting it to be a whack more...indeed do feel it will be better in quality and features over the older one at least. (as well as less obvious and less 'please nick me' )

Personally, I'd be in two minds about getting it installed before delivery....at the end of the day, you have a good relationship with the dealer and are known so shouldn't be a problem, just that I'd be cautious and get the car first, make sure no issues or 'rattles' and then get it installed so you know it was all good before and then after...as I've heard to wire the ACE's you have to remove some of the interior and the clips are notorious for breaking...so a good dealer will know this and sort it well, and your dealer must be good so no issue when you get it installed...mine, well, I may go elsewhere to get it sorted. Decent enough but not the best to be honest.

As its all BMW kit, no issues in getting it sorted in any case should anything happen during install or affect anything but I'd want to separate the two personally. (get car, ensure car okay, then install this to known all okay situation, instead of wondering if any issues are due to car or the install).

Personality point I guess really and trust in one's dealer.
You make a good point there in fairness and removing parts of the interior always does worry me for exactly those reasons.

When I got the M5 after a short while I had an issue where the car would display a "Warning no alert tones" on the iDrive. It would then crash and reboot on it's own. Didn't do it all the time but it was annoying and all my previous cars the iDrive has never once crashed. I forget the name of the unit as they call it but they checked it out and replaced the computer that runs the entertainment / nav side of the car. Thankfully car came back with no rattles of any kind, all still nice and solid.

I rejected my C63S in the end for these kind of problems. Day I picked it up a piece of trim fell off the car. It made all sorts of rattles in the front dash that in fairness they eventually solved but the one that utterly bugged the hell out of me was the speakers. They would make this noise even when you had it off at certain speeds and road types. They weren't quite sealed into the doors correctly. Playing some kinds of music as well they'd sound awful because of that movement of the speakers in the doors.

The dealer I got the car from initially could notice the issue, then when I said I'd had enough refused to acknowledge there was even an issue there. In the end had to take it to another one of their chain of dealers for a second opinion, the mechanic there was honest when went out with me and said he could hear it straight away. They even had a technical fix from Mercedes they knew about on how to fix it which was to break all the plastic clips in the car and hot glue gun the speakers in place. I wasn't happy with that at all on a new car so managed to get it rejected in the end but my god it was hard work.

Interestingly took Mercedes about 1 and a half years after that but they changed the way they clip the speakers in so new cars don't have those issues. Just had such a bad experience that I don't think I could get a Mercedes again in a hurry. That and their deals are just poor. That C63S as I specified it was around £73k if I remember right yet no discount as it was new model plus higher APR put the monthlies around the same as a M760Li. I mean it's a no brainer to go with BMW to be honest as long as they offer the best overall finance deals.

Still your right, I might split it out. I suspect probably I'll have to because they won't have one in time but could be wrong. See if you can actually get your hands on one soon.
Appreciate 0