BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

07-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Windshield Replacement Question

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well.

Having my windshield replaced due to scratches and pitting.

How do I tell if the replacement matches the correct part number?

The numbers at the lower driver’s side corner don’t correlate with the part number for my VIN. Any way to decipher? I want to ensure the shop orders the correct windshield and not a less expensive alternative.

If both my original and the replacement have the same numbers in the lower driver’s side corner, I suppose all is fine, but I’m anticipating they may be different – due to changes in what’s written over the years – even though the windshield may be the correct one.

I’m going to view the replacement before it’s installed. Is the part number on the windshield anywhere?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Hi all,

So, to update everyone:

I viewed the replacement windshield today and the numbers at the lower left driver’s side corner don’t match that of my original windshield.

The replacement windshield numbers are:

Saint-Gobain
Sekurit
E8 43R – 004107
DOT617 M505 AS1
E 000234

I also only have a partial numbers from my original windshield - as my car is currently at an inaccessible lot of the body shop - but from prior photos of my car, I’m able to see:

Saint-Gobain
Sekurit
E6 43R – 00115…

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to confirm the iridescent blue color of solar climate comfort glass because the windshield was wrapped up inside the workshop, etc.

Should the non-matching numbers be concerning? Do these new numbers supersede the old ones? I can’t understand why part numbers aren’t on glass, or why aren't able to readily decode what's written!

Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

To follow up, the following message from the glass manufacturer has put my mind at ease:

"It is possible that BMW had a second supplier for glazing parts on the F01/02 model 7-series. Nevertheless, we (Sekurit) exclusively supplied clear glass with thermo-control reflecting interlayer or green glass with solar-control interlayer."

I suppose this means that 90%+ of all US F01/02's (non-760's, ActiveHybrids and special orders) were not manufactured with Saint-Gobain glass.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

I'm going F'N CRAZY.

Windshield replaced with OE glass, but has the problem described in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...avy+windshield

When driving, making a turn and looking out the passenger side of the windshield, I see vertical distortion towards the bottom of the windshield, near the dash. Minimal, but it's there! My original didn't have this problem.

A body shop I got into argument with did the install. Glass was purchased from a BMW dealer, however.

Going to bring the car to the dealer tomorrow to show them the defect, but WTF! Warranty replacement of the part, maybe, but how am I going to get the dealer to cover the labor to put a new part in!? I don't want to go back to the body shop!

Would BMW corporate reimburse the dealer labor to put in new glass due to this defect?

This is so messed up.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:11 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Shop foreman confirmed the distortion and stated he can warranty the parts and labor.

Can anything be done to ensure the new glass is good prior to install? :|

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Beside myself; just don’t get it.

Got car back after 2.5 months in service for a variety of matters, one of which was to parts warranty of OEM windshield body shop just installed, which had wavy distortions.

In interim of car being in service, had four loaners; one X3 and three X5’s all of which had windshield distortion (I’ve had many, many loaners over the years and never experienced such to this extent).

So, I have my car back and lo and behold; wavy distortion still! Less than the prior glass, but still there, which my original windshield didn’t have from what I could see.

Crazy enough, it’s the second windshield the dealer ordered because the shop foreman stated the first one that came in was chipped. Makes me question whether the first one that came in was distorted as well, but equally as bad or worse than what the body shop installed.

Also thinking that maybe glass on brand new cars is superior quality to replacement glass, albeit OEM, but all loaners were next to brand new, one being completely brand new, but all US made SUV’s.

So I’m sitting here, call BMWNA, hang up after a long wait, about to e-mail them, but stop, as they're probably going to state I need to go back to the dealer.

I honestly don’t think the dealer will be able to do anything, as they’re beholden to whatever parts come in.

Don’t know what to do. Distortion is acceptable? My original glass didn’t have same. Has quality slipped? Anything to do to get a good windshield? Any way the dealer is able to test for distortions before installation?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
SUBL1ME
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 750i M-Sport

Thank you for the journey of notes, but I am really sorry to see you've have been going through this crazy roller coaster with everything.

I'm just as confused as you are if after several windshields you're experiencing the same thing; even on different loaner vehicles and for a wide variety of time. I say that because you would think that okay, if you ordered something Week 1 and then Week 2 it may have been in the same batch of manufacturing, but months apart it should be new batches - yet the problem still exists.

Perhaps speak with the manufacturer about the issue?

Good luck man!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBL1ME View Post
Thank you for the journey of notes, but I am really sorry to see you've have been going through this crazy roller coaster with everything.

I'm just as confused as you are if after several windshields you're experiencing the same thing; even on different loaner vehicles and for a wide variety of time. I say that because you would think that okay, if you ordered something Week 1 and then Week 2 it may have been in the same batch of manufacturing, but months apart it should be new batches - yet the problem still exists.

Perhaps speak with the manufacturer about the issue?

Good luck man!
Yes, thank you for your support.

Previously reached out to Saint Gobain, but of little help, referring me to BMW.

Service Manager said he can put me in contact with General Manager of dealer.

Will see where that goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Difficult to capture by video, as more apparent in person, but pay attention to the lettering and the distortion of same.

I don’t move my head back and forth the way I’m moving the camera, but this same distortion appears when turning while driving (when the car is moving, not your head).

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0