BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Except I've heard BMW did a really nice job with the new X1. Haven't been in it, but the previous X1 certainly had that same "cheap" feeling you get sitting in a Q3, A3, CLA/GLA, etc.
The prev gen X1, at least in the 35 guise, was 100x the car the current one is, not even close. Hoping the bigger engine comes back in the X2 xDrive40 M or whatever the fuck the marketing department is going mad-lib together to name the thing.
The big, sideways engine, ftl.

Wife totaled her X1 35i and a test drive of the new one was terrible. Settled on an LCI F30, but it's underwhelming and likely our last BMW, since the G series seem to be even less involving than the Fs.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #24
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Obviously this is just my opinion, but here it is. Either way, good luck with your search.

GLA45 - Hard to believe this is an AMG product. The transmission was easily the worst part of the experience. I don't know about the GLA250 but the GLA45 was a sort of a let down. I really wanted to like it.

Current gen X1 - Got it as a loaner car twice. I won't say it's bad, but it just felt like a big mini cooper. I'm not sure I would spend my money here.

Last gen X1 - If you can get this, do it. I honestly believe this is the a superior car compared the ones above. Plus that 35i motor is fantastic. This is the clear winner to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
The prev gen X1, at least in the 35 guise, was 100x the car the current one is, not even close. Hoping the bigger engine comes back in the X2 xDrive40 M or whatever the fuck the marketing department is going mad-lib together to name the thing.
Yup, this. We had to buy a 2017 x1 because the trunk on the old model was too small to fit a pair of 100lb rotties in without putting the seats down. And we got ours for 28k and change before taxes, so it was cheaper than the mass market equivalents.

The new one isn't a bad little car but it's no match for a 35i M package

The GLA45 amg is a fun little ride, but it's massively overpriced and again, the trunk is TINY - smaller than a Golf. The base 250 is just laughable

EDIT - if my wife had liked it more I'd have got a Golf sportwagen for the dog-mobile - it's cheap (VW is going to 10%+ off on MSRP now on these) and with an APR tune that little 1.8 is suprisingly peppy
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #26
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
The prev X1 was 100x more fun to drive but as far as being the better all-around car? I don't think anybody feels that way. It was a decent car at the time but the new one seems to have a much nicer interior, better looks, modern tech, more "traditional SUV" seating position, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #27
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The big, sideways engine, ftl.

Wife totaled her X1 35i and a test drive of the new one was terrible. Settled on an LCI F30, but it's underwhelming and likely our last BMW, since the G series seem to be even less involving than the Fs.
I hated the new one when we test drove it. Of all the things, the seats hit me in a really weird spot on my hamstring and I literally couldn't stand the discomfort after 5 minutes. Just FYI I am 5'8" and 160lbs so I am not exactly difficult to fit in a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The prev X1 was 100x more fun to drive but as far as being the better all-around car? I don't think anybody feels that way. It was a decent car at the time but the new one seems to have a much nicer interior, better looks, modern tech, more "traditional SUV" seating position, etc.
Right but everything you said has NOTHING to do with driving dynamics. The previous generation was infinitely better in that regard. If you want a traditional SUV with better interior, that's a completely different thing. The current X1 would not be my choice if that were my goal.

If you want excellent "drivers car" with some room to haul some shit but performance is your chief concern I'd have a hard time coming up with literally anything that would be better than a prev-gen X1 35, add on Dinan Stage 1 and you're in a different league all together.

I am limiting myself to things you can get for under $40K when I say the above though. If you want to spend more, there are better options (i.e. Macan). But for under $40K if you need some space and want a hell of a performer, the X1 is damn tough to beat.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, we bought our X1 35i because it drove better than the F31 and it came with a six, unlike the US F31. The new X1 drives like a really big Mini. Not necessarily a bad thing, but certainly way less involving or capable than an E9x car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #30
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
I like the old X1 35i but it's not very good at being a crossover. Back seat is too small and if I'm going to drive a tall wagon thing it should at least be able to fit adults in the back.

My other knock against it is it has the older 6-speed Steptronic instead of the ZF 8-speed but the Steptronic can be made to behave rather better with Alpina or xHP transmission flashes.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #31
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
Yeah, we bought our X1 35i because it drove better than the F31 and it came with a six, unlike the US F31. The new X1 drives like a really big Mini. Not necessarily a bad thing, but certainly way less involving or capable than an E9x car.
Yeah we tested the new X1, the 328 wagon and the 335 GT for dad since he wanted some room. Did the wagon and then went to see Mr. Dinan.

The biggest problem with the new one is the platform, no matter what engine you jam in the thing it's still that mini FWD architecture bullshit. Same reason the GLC will hand the GLA its ass. I'm just fundamentally opposed to front wheel biased when you're talking high HP and torque.

What I'd LOVE to see here is a 340 sport wagon. Take that stage 2 and we're talking borderline perfection.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Absolutely. We'd actually prefer an F20 M240i, but we only have one kid and a Beagle, so small is better.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Right but everything you said has NOTHING to do with driving dynamics. The previous generation was infinitely better in that regard. If you want a traditional SUV with better interior, that's a completely different thing. The current X1 would not be my choice if that were my goal.

If you want excellent "drivers car" with some room to haul some shit but performance is your chief concern I'd have a hard time coming up with literally anything that would be better than a prev-gen X1 35, add on Dinan Stage 1 and you're in a different league all together.

I am limiting myself to things you can get for under $40K when I say the above though. If you want to spend more, there are better options (i.e. Macan). But for under $40K if you need some space and want a hell of a performer, the X1 is damn tough to beat.
I agree but I was merely responding to your quote that the old X1 was "100x the car the new X1 is," implying that you were talking about a lot more than just driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #34
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto
Quote:

I agree but I was merely responding to your quote that the old X1 was "100x the car the new X1 is," implying that you were talking about a lot more than just driving dynamics.
Fair point. To me car = driving dynamics. There are other things you mentioned that factor into the overall experience but much further down my priority list. With the X1 example I'd be willing to compromise on the other stuff which still doesn't suck but you're right isn't ideal to get a much better "driver's car."

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who prefers a proper wagon to an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #35
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Quote:
Has anybody else been in a GLC? I had a hell of a time getting in and out of it and I'm small. The B pillar seems way too far forward.
I drove one last month. I have an '07 ML and it has a similar problem so I didn't really notice. It isn't that the B pillar is so big but in the ML the steep rake of the windshield gets in my way getting in and out. I thought the GLC was ok. Drove it right after the 3 series wagon, Q5 and X3. I ranked them as wagon, Q5, GLC, X3, with the X3 a distant last. Couldn't get excited enough about any of them to spend the money. The ML will have to go a bit longer. There's nothing wrong with any of the better ones, just nothing to get excited about. If I'm dropping $50k+ I should get a little excited, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #36
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
Quote:
Has anybody else been in a GLC? I had a hell of a time getting in and out of it and I'm small. The B pillar seems way too far forward.
I drove one last month. I have an '07 ML and it has a similar problem so I didn't really notice. It isn't that the B pillar is so big but in the ML the steep rake of the windshield gets in my way getting in and out. I thought the GLC was ok. Drove it right after the 3 series wagon, Q5 and X3. I ranked them as wagon, Q5, GLC, X3, with the X3 a distant last. Couldn't get excited enough about any of them to spend the money. The ML will have to go a bit longer. There's nothing wrong with any of the better ones, just nothing to get excited about. If I'm dropping $50k+ I should get a little excited, right?
Just curious which X3 did you driv? I had the big engine as a loaner liked it a lot more than I thought I would. If you're into crossover stuff def check the Jag and the Macan.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #37
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Quote:
Just curious which X3 did you driv? I had the big engine as a loaner liked it a lot more than I thought I would. If you're into crossover stuff def check the Jag and the Macan.
The X3 was barely used on a Carmax lot. I want to say it was a '15. It was a stripper and way overpriced. Seats seemed hard. It was the diesel so the performance was not good. The 328d was much better.

I buy cars 2-3 years in so no Jags for me, and after Porsche wouldn't stand behind my 2000 Boxster with IMS failure I won't even set foot in the showroom.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #38
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
Quote:
The X3 was barely used on a Carmax lot. I want to say it was a '15. It was a stripper and way overpriced. Seats seemed hard. It was the diesel so the performance was not good. The 328d was much better.

I buy cars 2-3 years in so no Jags for me, and after Porsche wouldn't stand behind my 2000 Boxster with IMS failure I won't even set foot in the showroom.
If you like the form factor of the X3 I would highly suggest driving the big engine one. You can dinan that thing up for a grand and it's a legit beast.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #39
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Saw one in person recently and its a LOT shorter than I expected....roofline in/around the front doors is very low and it appears that entry/exit was clearly an afterthought

I fairly well concussed myself getting into the thing and I'm under 6'

There are lots of things to like about the car but based on the egonomics (lack of) associated with getting in/out you would think it was designed by Alpha Romeo......

Too bad.....but its off the list due to the roofline/head smacking qualities

I find myself gravitating towards the 328D wagon and X1 with M package.......the 328d wagon is definately at the top of the list but its a good chunk more than I wanted to spend on a DD
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #40
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Saw one in person recently and its a LOT shorter than I expected....roofline in/around the front doors is very low and it appears that entry/exit was clearly an afterthought

I fairly well concussed myself getting into the thing and I'm under 6'

There are lots of things to like about the car but based on the egonomics (lack of) associated with getting in/out you would think it was designed by Alpha Romeo......

Too bad.....but its off the list due to the roofline/head smacking qualities

I find myself gravitating towards the 328D wagon and X1 with M package.......the 328d wagon is definately at the top of the list but its a good chunk more than I wanted to spend on a DD
Ok so I own a 328 sport wagon Dinan Stage 2 and had a brand new X1 as a loaner today when my vert was in the shop. I know there are some X1 fans here so not looking to slam anyone's choice, and yes it's a less $ car. That said the 328 costs more for a reason. Form factor aside if you prefer the wagon or SUV, the 328 is definitely worth the extra money. Probably worth it and then some.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #41
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
seems like everyone forgets new x1 is front wheel with xdrive, most bmw are rwd with xdrive. All these models exist because everyone budget is different. Of course driving dynamics is different on all models.

GLA250- i dont like it, its cramp inside and no trunk space. This size of SAV is becoming more popular-CHR,HRV other brands are making similar sizes.

New gen x1 is nice with all option and still affordable for most. decent size trunk space and xdrive is great in all weather condition. My wife has new gen x1 but prefers x3. Her previous car was x3.

you cant compare 28i vs 35i, performance will always be factor.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #42
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
I actually like the X3 35i much more than the X1 35i.

The X1 feels like a small car on stilts so its handling has been limited. The X3 has much more room and its handling is overall very similar, at least in M Sport form. It also has the ZF 8-speed instead of the 6-speed Steptronic in the X1.

If you can find a CPO X3 35i M Sport with the dynamic handling package, it's a very nice choice.
Appreciate 1
fbsm743.00
      05-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #43
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post

The X1 feels like a small car on stilts so its handling has been limited. The X3 has much more room and its handling is overall very similar, at least in M Sport form. It also has the ZF 8-speed instead of the 6-speed Steptronic in the X1.

If you can find a CPO X3 35i M Sport with the dynamic handling package, it's a very nice choice.
No way the X3 comes anywhere near the old X1 for handling, it's not even close.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #44
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post

No way the X3 comes anywhere near the old X1 for handling, it's not even close.
Yeah, handling, braking and not looking like a shipping container all go to the E84.
Appreciate 0