BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
bf15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i m sport

NC house bill 169

So im new here, but having lived in NC and had a few other cars ive dealt a lot with emissions testing issues and having to pass the OBD 2. Its pretty annoying to have to annually demod your car and then put all your mods back on to pass inspections. I know with the 335i this is easier but other cars not so much.

Anyways I cam across this thing called house bill 169 from the 2015-2016 session and it looks like most counties in NC may be doing away with emissions.

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience dealing with legal docs and such I'm trying to decipher all this stuff and figure out what they actually have passed to see if my county rockingham county will soon be exempt from the OBD2 scan. It looks like on some pages there are things indicating that my county will become exempt but others looks like its not. Im not really sure how to view the actual final passed bill. But it would be nice with my miata and some other cars to have the option of running the hydra without dealing with doing a piggyback to pass obd2

Here's a link to the bill

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...15&BillID=h169
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

It's not emissions related.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
It looks like the first 3 revisions of the bill started out talking about getting rid of emissions testing in several North Carolina counties, with more counties getting added each time, and then starting with the 4th revision changes to talking about limit the scope of regulations in general and then moves on to tort reform. I'm not sure if the final bill that was passed has anything to do with the original list of counties that would no longer be required to pass emissions.

But...if you only need to pass an OBD scan and there's no tailpipe sniffer or visual inspection, there are plenty of ways to make a modded car pass an OBD scan.
Appreciate 0