BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
7th Heaven
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 750i

Angry BMW NA Runaround - Battery Replacement Not Covered Under Warranty - "Customer Error"

Does anyone know how to reach someone having authority within BMW NA, or perhaps the regional office that includes Texas?

It seems management and the BMW Warranty Reps are "non-customer facing," according to the customer service representative I spoke to last week.

I've been getting bizarre error messages about tire chains and adaptive headlights (when they're not on!).

The dealer advises the battery has been compromised as a result of not keeping the key fob over 30 meters away from the car overnight.

The BMW Rep says that constitutes customer error and will not cover battery replacement under warranty. After checking the Owner's Manual, I cannot find anything saying to keep the key away from the car or that failure to do so will void the battery warranty (although there's some likelihood of a "goodwill" replacement).

Without any documentation, the accusation of customer error has already eroded any goodwill I have toward BMW NA.

And the fact that the BMW Rep is hiding behind the dealership, as it BMW NA, is enough for me to consider small claims court and from a customer satisfaction standpoint, ditching my BMW.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

Alas, matey, this is a lesson I learned the hard way... twice. My crime was leaving the keys on the floor mat whilst I washed and waxed my 745i. The battery died, but it did come back to life with an overnight trickle charging, and it never coughed or hiccoughed after that, even after I did the same damed thing about a year later. Charged it overnight and it kept on ticking. Now that I have a 750, I asked the service dude if the new keyfob/battery combo would be susceptible to the same malady and he smiled at me and confirmed my worst fears! The joys of the ultimate driving machine...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
AWESOM3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17M4;15G63AMG;14E63SAMG

30m away from the car overnight?
Thats ridiculous.
Even if every BMW driver lived in a 5000sqf home and parked in their garage its impossible to keep the key that straight line distance away overnight.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
thread killer
Banned
Rep
Drives: faster then your car

tire chains and adaptive headlight warnings-

if i remember correctly the vehicle needs to be programmed to fix that.
and yes they are right- you have to keep the key away from the car. 30 FEET is a little better distance.

and yes if you drive short distances frequently- BMW wont pay for the battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Siebener
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750Li xDrive, 2014 X1 35i

Is this a problem if the car is locked?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
thread killer
Banned
Rep

how you gonna lock the keys in the car there slick?

better yet, how you gonna get them back out?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Siebener
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750Li xDrive, 2014 X1 35i

I am referring to the idea of having to keep the remote 30 meters (or feet, whatever) away from the car overnight. I keep an extra key in the house about 20 feet from the car, while I keep the key that I carry every day in my closet, which is about 90 feet from the car. I have never had a problem with this issue on E66 cars, and I usually lock the F02 car in the garage so my kids don't get in and play with the radio, etc. I am just wondering if I would have a problem if I did NOT lock the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
thread killer
Banned
Rep

f02 and E66 are two different balls of wax. E65/66 is early 00's late 90's technology.

F cars are at least mid 2000's tech. completely different thinking.
Appreciate 0