BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #1
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

dryer vent question

Hey guy's,

See the picture (not mine stock) but exact same scenario.

So one of the flaps on mine has bust and fallen off, I think the others are a bit sticky, so not sure if they move easily

I was going to replace it, but have some questions.

1> I can get to the back of the vent from the inside easily
2> What is that "mastic" around it, is is easy enough to remove
and what should I use to replace it with (sealant)
3> As the vent goes straight to the dryer, is there an issue with just leaving it as is?
4> Are the connections to connect to the air duct tubing a standard ?

TIA

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Fakemike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
You might just be able to replace the outer plastic part. Looks very similar to this that Lowes sells:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-4-...nt-Cap/3203043

I installed a metal one like below because I didn't like the idea of plastic. But then you would have to replace the whole metal duct behind it.

If you leave it "as is" I would be worried that rodents might crawl in there.

I just used general outdoor caulk to seal around the edges. Seems to work fine.

You can use a 4" worm clamp to attach the ducting. You could most likely use what is all ready on there.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I had the exact issue. I could not access the other side of the vent, so I removed the sticky fin, just bend it to remove it. Then I took to local hardware store and matched the fin up with a fin from a new vent. Had to go to a couple stores to find a correct match. And I had to carve a bit off the edge to match the dimensions perfectly. Then I bought vent and just swapped over the fins, not the housing.
Way easier since the housing is not worn, just the fins get out of shape over time. Use the opportunity to clean out the vent tube as well with a vacuum or air hose or both while drier is running, lots of crap will come out.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #4
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

That is just an outer cover piece and can easily be replaced. It does not look like screws were used due to brick and an adhesive/sealant was used. You can probably pry it off with a thin scraper tool, clean off the old glue and put another one on. A thin bead of construction adhesive will hold another one-'they don't have to be real tight.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
Hey guy's,

See the picture (not mine stock) but exact same scenario.

So one of the flaps on mine has bust and fallen off, I think the others are a bit sticky, so not sure if they move easily

I was going to replace it, but have some questions.

1> I can get to the back of the vent from the inside easily
2> What is that "mastic" around it, is is easy enough to remove
and what should I use to replace it with (sealant)
3> As the vent goes straight to the dryer, is there an issue with just leaving it as is?
4> Are the connections to connect to the air duct tubing a standard ?

TIA

I believe it is standard 4" opening. You can get one at Lowes or Home Depot. While you at it you should check what type of duct is connected to dryer. If its flexible duct they collect lots of dust and could cause a fire. They sell standard 4" sheet metal duct work there also which can be put together,so the lint wont get caught on. Or just get new flexible one.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
I believe it is standard 4" opening. You can get one at Lowes or Home Depot. While you at it you should check what type of duct is connected to dryer. If its flexible duct they collect lots of dust and could cause a fire. They sell standard 4" sheet metal duct work there also which can be put together,so the lint wont get caught on. Or just get new flexible one.
When you take that thing off, stick a vacuum hose is there and suck all the lint out...you don't have to change the whole line as long as you can clean it--also a highly impeded line reduces efficiency of the dryer
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I had to replace my entire dryer vent. The original build in 1990 used plastic bathroom fan duct .. which is a fire hazard. I had to go after my home inspector as he clearly saw that and didn't report it. Anyway it's not too bad of a project ... you can get a new cap and a metal pipe like posted above if needed to replace that.

That is just some sort of weather proof silicone sealant you can cut off and replace with new. You'll want to fix that or else you'll get a bird / squirrels in there.

While you have it off look in there with a flashlight .. you may want to try and get a long vaccuum in there / blow compressed air out the dryer end to clean it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
That is just an outer cover piece and can easily be replaced. It does not look like screws were used due to brick and an adhesive/sealant was used. You can probably pry it off with a thin scraper tool, clean off the old glue and put another one on. A thin bead of construction adhesive will hold another one-'they don't have to be real tight.
agree with what jgoens said. that looks like an adhesive used to help keep the vent in place. i would remove it completely and like someone else mentioned try to vacuum out whatever's inside than replace with a new vent and adhesive again
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      03-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I’d replace the vent hose. In some locations a new vent hose has to be used when a new dryer is installed.
And vacuum out the dryer where you disconnected the hose from it.

Metallic duct tape is a nice way to close off the gaps at each connection junction.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I’d replace the vent hose. In some locations a new vent hose has to be used when a new dryer is installed.
And vacuum out the dryer where you disconnected the hose from it.

Metallic duct tape is a nice way to close off the gaps at each connection junction.
This is good advice if you have had the dryer for a while. A month ago I changed the belt pulley and the belt while I was at it and noticed the whole inside of the dryer was covered in lint...guess it just creeps in there. Cleaned it all out.
      03-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
This is good advice if you have had the dryer for a while. A month ago I changed the belt pulley and the belt while I was at it and noticed the whole inside of the dryer was covered in lint...guess it just creeps in there. Cleaned it all out.
Where do you think all your socks went????
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Where do you think all your socks went????
Into lint land.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

txs all
Appreciate 1
dmatre664.50
      03-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #14
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
When you take that thing off, stick a vacuum hose is there and suck all the lint out...you don't have to change the whole line as long as you can clean it--also a highly impeded line reduces efficiency of the dryer
I found it much easier to use a leaf blower at the dryer-side connection, and blow all the lint out of the system.

I do this once a year, since finding a bird/squirrel nest when doing this one time.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #15
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have a simple square shaped outlet that faces downward that works for me, it may have a screen as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 06:51 AM   #16
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

so, 2 things,

looking at that sealant, its quite wide and thick, doesn't look like that stuff you get out of a tube ?

I may have to wait till the weather gets warmer as the temps still are around -5 overnight
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #17
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

it also looks like some kind of "Glazing" putty rather than a tube of silicone DAP
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #18
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Wait 'til things warm up - those flaps won't stop rodents even if fully intact, and birds/wasps won't be around until it is a lot warmer. You can get the putty off (or loose) with a heat gun - probably is some type of glazing putty. It probably won't ever fully come off the brick so don't spread it any further (unless you LIKE that 'Homer was here' look). I'd replace with a nice unit like the second pic in this string - that's what I did. They have an internal metal door that works much better, and larger so they cover the old mess; get one w/ the pipe extension off the back, not just a face unit. Once you pull that POS, the new one should just slide right into the hole and you mate up the piping inside.

I've just discovered that they also make these removable lint screen inserts for the vent tubing (inline rectangular slide-out tray). They put them in all the dryer vents here on our unit (inside the hospital, where they REALLY hate fires). I think I'm going to get one just to make it easier to clear out now that I can't just stick a vac down the outlet.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441010.00
      03-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Time to move
Appreciate 0