BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Check engine light 2013

Hi, I have a 2013 750li.

About three days ago, I filled up with petrol whilst the motor was running.

Afterwards, my yellow light that looks like a motor lit up. Surprisingly, the online documentation has no reference to this symbol.

Anyway, I am familiar with this signal to know it means the emissions monitoring system reported an issue.

This used to happen all the time with my 2000 3 series.

The remedy was to wipe the gasket on the gas cap of any moisture. Apparently, the moisture prevented a tight seal and the slight vacuum could not be maintained in the tank and the light would go on.

Now, over ten years later I have the same problem with the light. I do not know its cause. I did find a lot of moisture in the gas cap gasket. I wiped it down and retightened the gas cap.

Now, assuming I fixed the problem, can anyone tell me how long it takes for the light to extinguish. On my 2000 3 series, it could take 72 hours. The reason for this delay was that the emissions database is purged and it has to build new records that confirm the system is operational within the limits.

You see, it is no longer necessary in Pennsylvania to test the cars actual emissions. Nowadays, the car constantly checks the emissions. When that yellow light comes on, it means that the database does not contain enough records confirming the system is working.

So, in the past, anytime the light comes on, you have to wait 72 hours for the system database to get enough data to mark itself as "clean." The problem with this design, is that you never know if the car is working within spec at the moment. So, you don't know if the issue was cleared.

Can anyone confirm that I have this correct and we still need to wait several days for the light to go out?
Appreciate 0