BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

05-12-2024, 01:03 PM   #1
SpaceGhost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 740i xdrive

What voice command for the rear window shade only? Also voice to change massage type?

Does anyone have the proper voice syntax to get the rear window shade to open or close without opening or closing the side shades? Sometimes I want the back down so I can see but I dont want the side shades to go down.

I also can't seem to get my car to recognize when i ask for a different type of massage. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 12:37 AM   #2
Laguna Beach
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

I think I have said activate lumbar massage before and it’s worked
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 09:16 AM   #3
patchan8984
Rep
Drives: BMW 840iCV, i7 x60

Close rear sunshade has worked for me when just lowering the back, but it has a good % failure rate when I try. I programmed the 5-0-5 hand gesture for it, as I leave my rear side window shades up all the time, and put up the rear one when I am parked. Makes it easier when during a quick departure (backing up), I can use the hand gesture since voice/touch controls don’t work in reverse with camera on.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004734.50
      05-14-2024, 10:14 AM   #4
DroMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Unfortunately, the "Close Rear Sun-Blind" command closes both the left and right rear sun-blinds at the same time for me as well. Of course one can open or close independently any of the four sun-blinds by simply using the menu -- although I understand the slight inconvenience of the extra steps.

Happily, the previous poster seemed to have a viable workaround with the fist-open/close hand gesture. I've had my car for almost half a year now and only programmed that gesture -- to navigate home -- a few days ago. I WISH there were more gestures to choose from -- they're extremely handy -- but I recognize things could get convoluted or hard for the system to correctly interpret if one had to parse certain numbers of figures or left-right/up-down hand movements.

Regarding the massage function(s), I can confirm that massage for several independent body areas can be activated with voice commands; just look at the menu of options on the physical display, write them down, then use your voice to see which actually works (I've used only two thus far). I guess I don't know the correct words for the body parts they offer so I often just say, "Mikey [yes, that's my invocation word], give me a massage" to let everything fly at once. Regrettably, "Mikey, give me a happy ending" seems to do nothing (and negates any reason for me to change the gender-name of my car).
Appreciate 1
Frupal840.00
      05-14-2024, 05:55 PM   #5
Laguna Beach
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

I’m sure in your area there’s a few Mikey’s that would oblige.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004734.50
      05-14-2024, 06:31 PM   #6
DroMike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Beach View Post
I’m sure in your area there’s a few Mikey’s that would oblige.
I KNOW -- just lucky I guess. Hey, so long as I close my eyes and think about Charlize Theron -- it's all good!
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004734.50
      05-14-2024, 10:56 PM   #7
SpaceGhost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 740i xdrive

Regrettably, "Mikey, give me a happy ending" seems to do nothing (and negates any reason for me to change the gender-name of my car). [/QUOTE]

HA! That's a feature many would pay for. Though i would have to rename the car Kristy or something.

Regarding massage functions, I can initiate most settings but I can't successfully transition from one massage mode to another with voice. Oh well, at least she's comfortable even if she doesn't always listen...

Thanks for your input folks...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 08:42 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Is there no button on the driver’s door that allows you to raise/lower the sunshades? On the F chassis…a brief press of the button on the door raises/lowers the rear sunshade. A longer press & hold of the button raises/lowers the side & rear shades.

The biggest drawback to the manual operation is if you want both the side & rear to work together…you may have to do an extra press so that both the side and rear are in the same position. So if the sides are down and the rear is up…but you want them all up…you have to first lower the rear. Once both the side & rear are down….then you can do a press & hold of the button and all the shades will opearate together.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 10:42 PM   #9
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 740xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
Close rear sunshade has worked for me when just lowering the back, but it has a good % failure rate when I try. I programmed the 5-0-5 hand gesture for it, as I leave my rear side window shades up all the time, and put up the rear one when I am parked. Makes it easier when during a quick departure (backing up), I can use the hand gesture since voice/touch controls don’t work in reverse with camera on.
How were you able to program this? My gesture settings don't allow me to choose the shade as an option with the two fingers or 505. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 08:40 AM   #10
patchan8984
Rep
Drives: BMW 840iCV, i7 x60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice4life View Post
How were you able to program this? My gesture settings don't allow me to choose the shade as an option with the two fingers or 505. Am I missing something?
I believe the shortcuts only work if the user setting is tied to a BMW account for the primary driver. Otherwise you can’t use shortcuts. Does the car show logged in for you when you start it? It is usually shown in the top right corner of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 07:40 AM   #11
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 740xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
I believe the shortcuts only work if the user setting is tied to a BMW account for the primary driver. Otherwise you can’t use shortcuts. Does the car show logged in for you when you start it? It is usually shown in the top right corner of the screen.
Yes my account is logged in. And I'm on 03/2024- most recent update. I'll show you what I see when I'm in gesture control settings. It only allows assignment of two different things for the two finger and 505. And to be clear this isn't a shortcut, it's a gesture control assignment.

Unless what you're saying is I first need to assign the shades to a shortcut and then it'll allow me to assign it to gesture control?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 10:51 AM   #12
DroMike
Lieutenant
Rep

Ice - I'm going to be a bit of a buttinsky and say I just went out and successfully programmed my "Close Rear Shade" to the 5-0-5 gesture. HOWEVER, at first it didn't work (it said something to the effect that it wasn't "available") so I tried programming it to the 2-finger pointing gesture instead, which DID work. I THEN again tried the 5-0-5 gesture and it successfully programmed (and worked)! POSSIBLY, the 5-0-5 didn't work at first because I'd already had that gesture programmed (to navigate home), and the two finger gesture was unused.

Anyway, try that: First program it to the 2-finger gesture, THEN program it to the 5-0-5. If it doesn't work with either gesture and you have both of those gestures programmed elsewhere, try un-programming or unlinking that or those gestures elsewhere first. In my case/car however, it simply overwrote my navigate-home gesture.

I'm sure this is meaningless, but I should mention that when it didn't work for me in the garage the other day, this morning I pulled my car out with the EV "engine" running, and it successfully programmed. I'm 99% certain that wasn't what made things work but I'm just fully reporting my steps. I know it can be frustrating when others can perform some action that you should also be able to access, so hope this may be of some help. - Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2024, 06:59 PM   #13
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Is there no button on the driver’s door that allows you to raise/lower the sunshades? On the F chassis…a brief press of the button on the door raises/lowers the rear sunshade. A longer press & hold of the button raises/lowers the side & rear shades.

The biggest drawback to the manual operation is if you want both the side & rear to work together…you may have to do an extra press so that both the side and rear are in the same position. So if the sides are down and the rear is up…but you want them all up…you have to first lower the rear. Once both the side & rear are down….then you can do a press & hold of the button and all the shades will opearate together.
The shades button in the driver's door brings up the shade menu on the infotainment screen. There you can select which one to open or close.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 05:17 PM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
The shade’s button in the driver's door brings up the shade menu on the infotainment screen. There you can select which one to open or close.

Ah…another function moved into a menu selection in iDrive.

Thanks for this info, I’ll have to add it to my mental Rolodex.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0