BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #221
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m42stanle View Post
Sorry, no - you need to read the story again. The physical altercation lasted 30 seconds but the drunken verbal tirade lasted between 20-30 *minutes* complete with expletives and threats to have him fired which were heard through the walls by other hotel guests. Drunk or sober, you have to ask yourself what kind of guy yells at someone for that long over a dinner order.

Try to set aside the fact he's a celebrity for a second, there is no workplace in the Western world where you get away with this and aren't immediately terminated with cause. To suggest he is a pussy for not punching Clarkson back (who given his celebrity is arguably a superior) is absurd (setting aside the fact that in this case a bystander had already intervened so it was probably difficult or impossible to fight back if he wanted to).

We don't know the reason the producer went to the ER here, but even if his goal was to have the assault documented so he could get Clarkson fired then so what? You can call him a pussy if you want but that's a red herring here, you're shifting the blame away from where it belongs. It's an extreme example, but we don't blame victims of domestic violence for not punching back and we certainly don't think of them as wimps if they go to the hospital when their boyfriends/husbands crack their lips open. This wasn't a case of two guys going out to the bar together, getting drunk and then getting into a fight. The dynamics of workplace violence (even after hours) are very different.

Believe me I'm as sad as anyone here to see the show gone, but Clarkson was done as soon as he punched the guy in the face. And he did it to himself, this was not the work of the Marxist left-wing BBC and not the work of some pussy producer - blame is 100% with Clarkson here.
Marxist? Who said Marxist? Domestic Violence? Are they now an item? Victim of what...a fat lip and damaged ego? Really? You believe that?

You are right - he sealed the deal in his inebriated state when he tapped the guys lip. No one knows if Tymon provoked it either. So Tymon is a *unt and Clarkson is an a**hole. Tymon could have easily disengaged and walked away knowing Clarkson was drunk.

Ok - I stand corrected on the "verbal attack" that poor Oisin was too stupid to walk away from after 20 minutes of getting his dainty feelings hurt. BBC said "longer period" in the context fo a 30 second fight but gave no time - I did miss that. Still, I am not disagreeing with you that Clarkson was the instrument of his own demise. Most celebs are primadonnas and idiots - I have met a few and indeed they were. I know several people who have had physical fights at work, corporate America and kept their jobs. All men and all chalked up as issue resolved. Not saying or condoning - but handling it like a fuggin man.

Yeah and I am a gun owner too so that probably makes me prone to violence and crazy too right? Clarkson is a nob but he is "our" nob. He is real and not fake. He says it like it is right or wrong. You know where he stands. Wish there was more of that rather than this PC when Johnny hits you never hit him back BS. Had I raised my daughter to be that way she would not have been able to defend herself when her a**hole boyfriend threw her on a bed - to which she subsequently (having taken Muy Thai) wasted his a**. Again, not saying Clarkson was correct. I am saying Tymon is not as innocent as the media or BBC is purporting him to be and they blew this thing up to 10,000 feet to disgrace Clarkson as they fired him. How do we know this? Because BBC execs began to leak comparisons of Clarkson with another person they fired; and May's comments indicate as much.

Whole thing like May said (who was there) is blown out of proportion most likely because they wanted Clarkson gone and he gave them the excuse. Like I said. Tymon and BBC execs are Fuggin Panty Wastes!

Last edited by EMITTR; 03-26-2015 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling added more light vitriolic sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #222
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post
Fuggin Panty Wastes!
Ewwwww.
      03-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #223
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEE View Post
Ewwwww.
LOL! Glad I am not taken too seriously or serious for that matter.
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #224
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
I agree with you that the BBC made the wrong decision, from a business point of view. He's was the highest paid BBC presenter, which shows how much they valued him on the network.

However, I think they didn't want it to appear as if Top Gear was in charge of the BBC decision-making process, so they canned him. This move shows they're still in control, but shows emotions and image-control trumped common sense and money.

I desperately hope JC, May, and Hammond find their way to Netflix.
I do too, specially if Netflix throws them a huge budget to make the show like the BBC did. We never got the see the P1, LaFerrari and the 918 on the track together so make it happen Netflix
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #225
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
This has to go down as one of the worst business decisions ever made. They could have easily made Clarkson pay restitution to Tymon and moved on. No concern for the fans whatsoever. I really hope May and Hammond tell the BBC to stuff it and the three of them reinvent TopGear with Netflix. There is obviously a huge market demand.
lol thats the travesty in this culture. As long as you have fans you can treat people like s* and almost always do whatever you want, something I'm guessing Clarkson took full advantage of based on his success from that show. I like top gear from time to time, but honestly Chris Harris is fifty times more engaging than Clarkson at least in my opinion.

The good from this is hopefully the people that are d*cks behind the scenes might (but probably won't) think twice before they act like they're invincible.

Its a terrible business decision, but from a moral/societal perspective its the correct move.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #226
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Its a terrible business decision, but from a moral/societal perspective its the correct move.
What's the correct move exactly?

It was a minor altercation, which was blown out of proportion by the BBC. It was then picked up and run with by folks who were either intimidated by him, or offended by his existence. The comments figuratively aligning him as a nazi, a wife beater, misogynist racist drunk are enough to see how much a very vocal minority wanted this to happen.

To cover the above, he probably is a bit of a drunk. Here's the thing though, being alcoholic is socially defined. It means something different to us from the US vs those residing in the UK. He is also a bit racist. Then again, we all are. Anyone who tells you otherwise: "I'M not racist" is flat out lying.

They (the BBC) didn't do it for moral reasons. They did it because they didn't want to have to bother with the PR of having Jeremy Clarkson on staff anymore. He was too much paperwork, and (probably) had generally offended the egos of some BBC top brass. He has a habit of doing that, it's one of the things that make him entertaining.

So, to sum up:

Bad business move. Poorly marketed termination. Lack of precedence and evidence for being done as a social/moral cause.

He should actually sue them for wrongful termination. Then take the monies won and produce the new show himself through a paid service like Netflix or HBO.
      03-27-2015, 12:33 AM   #227
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
What's the correct move exactly?

It was a minor altercation, which was blown out of proportion by the BBC. It was then picked up and run with by folks who were either intimidated by him, or offended by his existence. The comments figuratively aligning him as a nazi, a wife beater, misogynist racist drunk are enough to see how much a very vocal minority wanted this to happen.

To cover the above, he probably is a bit of a drunk. Here's the thing though, being alcoholic is socially defined. It means something different to us from the US vs those residing in the UK. He is also a bit racist. Then again, we all are. Anyone who tells you otherwise: "I'M not racist" is flat out lying.

They (the BBC) didn't do it for moral reasons. They did it because they didn't want to have to bother with the PR of having Jeremy Clarkson on staff anymore. He was too much paperwork, and (probably) had generally offended the egos of some BBC top brass. He has a habit of doing that, it's one of the things that make him entertaining.

So, to sum up:

Bad business move. Poorly marketed termination. Lack of precedence and evidence for being done as a social/moral cause.

He should actually sue them for wrongful termination. Then take the monies won and produce the new show himself through a paid service like Netflix or HBO.
Exactly what I have been trying to say - but you said much better and succinctly. Bingo!
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #228
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Racists are a funny bunch. They will be the 1st to argue racism barely exists AND yet when it's convenient, everybody is a racist. Go put your white hoods back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #229
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Cool Sign the petition to REINSTATE JEREMY CLARKSON

Hello guys & galls and fellow UK Top Gear fans,

I just signed the petition, "BBC: REINSTATE JEREMY CLARKSON."

I think this is important. Will you sign it too?

Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

Thanks,
DCG

Last edited by DCG; 03-27-2015 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #230
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

The cute little petition drive only shows that Clarkson needs the BBC.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #231
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloo View Post
The cute little petition drive only shows that Clarkson needs the BBC.
how
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #232
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Racists are a funny bunch. They will be the 1st to argue racism barely exists AND yet when it's convenient, everybody is a racist. Go put your white hoods back on.
LOL. Would not work for me - I was rejected by Clayton Bigsby
If you are easily offended by Dave Chappelle's teaching satire of just how idiotic racism is - I suggest you not click on the link.

Last edited by EMITTR; 03-27-2015 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Better link
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #233
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Netflix will never get involved with someone this toxic. You guys are dreaming. This is a "man" that thinks nazi salutes are cool. Yeah Clarkson will work again but never with anything near the success he had at the BBC. The world now knows what a low life he is.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #234
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Netflix will never get involved with someone this toxic. You guys are dreaming. This is a "man" that thinks nazi salutes are cool. Yeah Clarkson will work again but never with anything near the success he had at the BBC. The world now knows what a low life he is.
He was joking - as another person has previously said...lighten up Francis.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #235
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
You said all that already. Are you down to just repeating tired rhetoric or do you suffer from senile dementia?

Truly interested in which of those two it is.
      03-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #236
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
*groan*

You're such a bore.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #237
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
You said all that already. Are you down to just repeating tired rhetoric or do you suffer from senile dementia?

Truly interested in which of those two it is.

Except you're wrong. Not on this thread. Face plant.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #238
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
*groan*

You're such a bore.

Can I have a ghost story from you? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #239
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

What is going on in here? Is this the new "I have an ax to grind" thread?
      03-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #240
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m42stanle View Post
Try to set aside the fact he's a celebrity for a second, there is no workplace in the Western world where you get away with this and aren't immediately terminated with cause.
How about any major sports team and their star athlete on the team. You think Lebron James would get fired. Hell f*cking no.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 10:54 PM   #241
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05
What is going on in here? Is this the new "I have an ax to grind" thread?
Apparently.

Clarkson provides entertaining and insightful articles and television bits about the cars and topics I enjoy. He makes comments that other wont, sometimes in poor taste. Nevertheless, he is what I want to watch, as well as May and Hammond.

Don't like his stuff? Don't watch him. More room for the millions of us who do.
2003 330xi (Forever in my heart )
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 03:09 AM   #242
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
Apparently.

Clarkson provides entertaining and insightful articles and television bits about the cars and topics I enjoy. He makes comments that other wont, sometimes in poor taste. Nevertheless, he is what I want to watch, as well as May and Hammond.

Don't like his stuff? Don't watch him. More room for the millions of us who do.
+1

Remember it's an entertainment show with cars in it, not a car show that just shows 60 minutes of cars on a test track...

If you don't like a program you turn over to a channel you do like, it's simple.

I always find it staggering that people will sit through a program they can't stand and then criticise it.

Yes he had to go after the way it was covered over here, plenty people had an axe to grind with him.

However, all these 'Violence in Work place' people, I want to see them petitioning for sports stars, footballers (soccer) rugby players and ice hockey players, to be sacked as well when they thump an opposition player, it's all violence in work place and all high profile in front of the general public - oh that's ok though?
Appreciate 0