BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-03-2023, 12:07 PM   #1
HarryBeast
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLE 350

Looking for advice on a 2020 740i

Hi y'all,

I've been a Mercedes guy all my life, and I'm thinking about trying a BMW. I currently have a 2021 MB GLE 350, and my lease is up. I've been wanting to buy a car this time around and keep it.

I came across a really nice 2020 740i M Sport package that pretty much has everything that I like. I know my current car is an SUV; I mostly have it because of the space in the car. The 740i is pretty roomy, so that's a big plus. The 740i has 62K miles on it, which seems a bit high for that car, but it's priced right for me.

I've rarely had to take my cars in for unexpected issues besides their normal service like oil changes. I have heard stories about BMWs having lots of issues and random lights appearing on the dash. I would really love an honest opinion from any owners who have a 740i with high mileage: What issues have you come across? What should I look out for? How does the engine and transmission run?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 09:00 PM   #2
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

In last years, BMW has clocked very high in reliability rankings. One of the staples of this high reliability is B58 engine, which also powers 740i.

Considering the reliability of B58 and that there is no abnormal wear and tear going on with those cars, then I would say you would be in good hands. Definitely in a lot better than with Mercedes.
Appreciate 0