BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
vulcan747
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 545

Has anyone thought about painting their kidney grills?

Thinking about painting the grill to tone down the brightwork, which I think may be distracting to the beautiful lines of this car, with with a black or color
matched paint. Had this done on my 545i and was happy with the results but this car has a different character maybe the brightwork is a better fit.
Can some tell me if the grill is a chromed plastic injection molding ?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan747 View Post
Thinking about painting the grill to tone down the brightwork, which I think may be distracting to the beautiful lines of this car, with with a black or color
matched paint. Had this done on my 545i and was happy with the results but this car has a different character maybe the brightwork is a better fit.
Can some tell me if the grill is a chromed plastic injection molding ?
I believe it is a chrome plated plastic piece. Do you have the 13 or 9 striped version of the kidney grill?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
RisingSun
Freelance Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, E66 Li

I did it. The car has virtually no chrome, so it was annoying me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
vulcan747
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 545

It looks great and tones down the gap. No distractions allowing you to focus on the 7's nice lines. Did you color match the cars paint?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSun View Post
I did it. The car has virtually no chrome, so it was annoying me.
That's not the new 7 series though. The front looks a bit different.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
That's not the new 7 series though. The front looks a bit different.
I like the chrome. if you black out the kidneys, then you should probably do the chrome strip in the lower airdam, back trunk lid, and maybe the side chrome turn signals, and oh. maybe the door handles.....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
I like the chrome. if you black out the kidneys, then you should probably do the chrome strip in the lower airdam, back trunk lid, and maybe the side chrome turn signals, and oh. maybe the door handles.....
IMO, a bit of chrome breaks up the otherwise dull front (when I say dull front I mean if everything was the same color it would look rather dull).

Saw a X5 today at shopping mall. It had the kidney grills blacked out, tinted windows (WAY past the legal limit), 22" black rims (with black lip) and even the X5 badge in the back was painted black. Come to think of it, they even removed the BMW logo from the hood and trunk... It just looked to plain uhmm... black

It looked really boring
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
IMO, a bit of chrome breaks up the otherwise dull front (when I say dull front I mean if everything was the same color it would look rather dull).

Saw a X5 today at shopping mall. It had the kidney grills blacked out, tinted windows (WAY past the legal limit), 22" black rims (with black lip) and even the X5 badge in the back was painted black. Come to think of it, they even removed the BMW logo from the hood and trunk... It just looked to plain uhmm... black

It looked really boring
Speaking of tinted windows, just today - I saw a newer 5 series that put a "m5" logo on the back where the "525" would have been. it had one pipe sticking out the back, no side gills, stock rims and tinted windows. i think this is embarrassing....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of tinted windows, just today - I saw a newer 5 series that put a "m5" logo on the back where the "525" would have been. it had one pipe sticking out the back, no side gills, stock rims and tinted windows. i think this is embarrassing....
LOL, yeah I've seen this a few times too. I think the worst I've seen to date was a stock 318is (and quite rusty to boot) that the owner de-badged and put a cheap ///M3 sticker in it's place ... I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that car on the road
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Don't you just WISH you would have had your M5 right then and there and could have pulled up right next to him ???
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #11
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Don't you just WISH you would have had your M5 right then and there and could have pulled up right next to him ???
ha ha..yeah!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
RisingSun
Freelance Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, E66 Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan747 View Post
It looks great and tones down the gap. No distractions allowing you to focus on the 7's nice lines. Did you color match the cars paint?

Yes its the exact color match. I have no chrome on the car, its an Li w/ sport kit. So all I did was paint the grille .
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know! I'm sure you all may think like me when it comes to badges - but if I see a car (typically-not all the time) with no badges, I think it is the smallest engine possible. I start looking for the pipes, rims, tire size, etc - and confirm my belief...

hey - good news on your car - can't wait to see your new Baby!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I know! I'm sure you all may think like me when it comes to badges - but if I see a car (typically-not all the time) with no badges, I think it is the smallest engine possible. I start looking for the pipes, rims, tire size, etc - and confirm my belief...

hey - good news on your car - can't wait to see your new Baby!
+1

And thanks, I can't wait either. If I didn't already have plans for the weekend, I would go down to the dealership to take a look at my car
Appreciate 0