BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Navigation System Woes

1. Is there any way for the navigation system to give you the name of the next turn (or exit number / name) on the instrument cluster before there are 1000 feet remaining before the turn / exit!? I would really prefer to be informed of the next turn / exit well before I have to make it, and 1000 feet is simply insufficient when traveling on the highway!! It's an uncomfortable feeling watching the distance until the next turn / exit get smaller and smaller, yet to not know the name of the turn / number of the exit in advance!!

2. Is there any way for the navigation system to give you the name of the next turn (or exit number / name) on the navigation screen!? Simply having same in the small area of the instrument cluster is also insufficient. The distance until the next turn / exit mentioned above isn't even shown on the navigation screen!?

Last edited by dbs600; 01-25-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Depending on the speed you are traveling at, the navigation system informs you well ahead of any turn you need to make.

For example, when I travel on the freeway/highway at say 100km/h+ (62mph+) the navigation system usually informs me about 1 to 1.5km (0.6 to 1 mile) before I have to turn that I need to stay on the left or right (depending on what direction I will have to turn) and with instructions that I will be turning left or right. When I get closer, around 200 to 500m I think (about 1000ft or less), the navigation system will again tell me what direction I will be turning along with the distance. And when I approach the intersection or turnoff point, it will give me the instructions again as well as show a count down in increments of 10 meters as well as a bar graph showing the approximate distance to the turn. All this is shown in the heads-up display along with clear instructions how close you are to the turn, street name or road number, exit number (if available), even what lane you need to turn into...

The faster you go, the greater the distance of where the system will give you the instructions of where to go. All this via the different displays as well as voice instructions.

It does pretty much everything you are asking for...

I don't know but I don't think you can control on what screen what instructions you want to have displayed, other than that you can disable the navigation information on the heads-up display.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Unfortunately, I do not have Heads-up-Display. Yes, I know, a mistake, especially since I cannot see my speed nor my RPMs.

However, I am not referring to the instructions of whether to turn left or right or to exit, but I am referring to the name or number of the turn or exit one must take.

This information is given, at least on my car, at too short notice at 1000 feet prior to the turn or exit - this is especially short notice when traveling on the highway - and this is not given by voice command at all - only in the small area to the lower right portion of the instrument cluster.

I.e.: when traveling down the highway I would like to know at least 1 mile before the exit, the exit number I need to take - 5 miles, not necessary, but at least 1 mile - so that I can focus on the road and road signs instead of constantly look down at the small area mentioned above to see what exit I need to take or see when same finally pops up! Say if there was roadwork or if the roads had been reconfigured as of late...

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I don't think the voice instructions actually tell you the exit number, but it does alert you over a mile in advance that the turn/exit is coming up and what lane to stay in, the left or right depending on which way you have to turn/exit. The information should also be available on the iDrive screen. Turn split screen on and have the directions displayed in the split screen portion, that should definitely be larger if you don't have HUD!
The split screen portion will show the exit number and street name, etc.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Yes, I've noticed that there are options for the split screen view, but problem being: I do not like using split screen. It takes up too much navigation screen real estate and there should at least be a way to resize the split screen window, making it smaller, or even larger, if desired. But, I wonder if there is a way to have what the instrument cluster shows - the name of the street or the exit - which displays only when you are 1000 feet before the next turn / exit - on the main navigation screen, while still having view of the full map, which would be ideal!

Oh well...

Last edited by dbs600; 01-26-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

As far as I know, the split screen is not re-sizable most likely because some split screen content (smaller or larger than the default) would interfere with the screen setup of the main screen. For example, the night vision camera fits nicely into the main screen and you can have the navigation map on the split screen. The night vision camera fills the main area exactly. If you were to re-size the split screen, the night vision camera would also have to be re-sized or a portion would have to be covered up (if larger than the default) or there would be a gap between the split screen and main screen (if smaller than default). I understand your desire to be able to re-size these screens, however I can also understand the flip side from the designers point of view where it would make things a LOT more complicated not to mention that if someone was to mess up the screens by reducing the split screen to something really small by accident, the service departments would also get swamped with unnecessary service calls... So I guess BMW decided to do a compromise and fix the split size.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

I gave split screen a second try again today and I guess I can live with it - arrow view shows the information I seek at all times, but there is a problem...!!

When navigation system guidance is complete, after you reach your destination, or if you stop guidance early, the split screen portion goes to either a split screen view that I have no interest in or it goes all grey and displays no information at all - almost as if there is a glitch of sorts? I believe this is because arrow view is not available when there is no navigation system guidance in progress.

Is there any way to have a second choice split screen view automatically selected for when you have arrow view selected, primarily, but no address entered? Or, how about the possibility for split screen to be turned on automatically only when certain windows are open (i.e.: in navigation system guideance mode only and the navigation map screen is selected)?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I also wish that they would either switch the split screen on and off depending on what you selected or at least give us the option to be able to show what we prefer via an option screen. But as far as I know, that's not currently possible

On the other hand, if you don't like the split screen view, simply press the voice command button and tell the system 'split screen off' and it will switch back to the full screen display. That's what I do most of the time when I want to get back to full screen navigation map view!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
On the other hand, if you don't like the split screen view, simply press the voice command button and tell the system 'split screen off' and it will switch back to the full screen display. That's what I do most of the time when I want to get back to full screen navigation map view!
Great tip! I'll be sure to give it a try!
Appreciate 0