BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

05-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #23
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

I've got an upright and recumbent exercise bike that i ride daily. It at least keeps me from putting on fat while i can't workout.

Ironically today i bought a treadmill from a neighbor and as i was moving it, felt my back pop a few times and I'm feeling pretty decent now. My guess is I'm going to start feeling it soon though
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #24
csu87
Banned
Rep

If anyone is wanting to fix their back issues, I said fuck it, popped some painkillers, got a case of beer and went wakeboarding this weekend. Took a good spill and felt my spine just pop all the way up towards my neck and have been feeling great since. The muscles are a little sore, but the spine itself has no issues right now.

Slowly getting feeling back in my lower back/upper leg now as well, so looks like I may be out of the woods.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #25
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

I started going to a Chiropractor, and after a few adjustments, and stretching exercises, my back is 100% improved....wish I would have went sooner, but was always skeptical of chiros
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #26
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
I started going to a Chiropractor, and after a few adjustments, and stretching exercises, my back is 100% improved....wish I would have went sooner, but was always skeptical of chiros
That was my plan this week. Just hate having to find a good chiropractor. Seems everyone that gets recommended to me in this area is one of those "quick adjustment" types that get you in, pop your back a few times and rush you out. Then in a week or less, you are needing it again.

I had a Chiro before i moved that was amazing. Took xrays once a month at least, identified trouble areas in the spine and made a plan to address these issues. Went from needing to go twice a week to once every 2 weeks and was so close to being completely done in his mind before i moved. Almost tempted to make the 4hr drive to go see him again.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 03:44 PM   #27
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
That was my plan this week. Just hate having to find a good chiropractor. Seems everyone that gets recommended to me in this area is one of those "quick adjustment" types that get you in, pop your back a few times and rush you out. Then in a week or less, you are needing it again.

I had a Chiro before i moved that was amazing. Took xrays once a month at least, identified trouble areas in the spine and made a plan to address these issues. Went from needing to go twice a week to once every 2 weeks and was so close to being completely done in his mind before i moved. Almost tempted to make the 4hr drive to go see him again.
Yeah, I"m really happy with the one I go to...he's a chiropractor as well as physical therapist for sports teams, so he's very thorough.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #28
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

I had a protrusion in a disc that caused my big toe to go numb. Luckily the spine doc I went to specialized more in physical therapy and cortisone injections. He mentioned numbness could last a year. Did PT and year later numbness was gone. I wonder if I saw a surgeon first whether he would have pushed surgery or not.

Other comments:

Try sleeping with pillow or wedge under knees.

If looking for chiropractor, try looking for one that works with physical therapists. I was seeing one that practiced holistic medicine too. He always seemed to try to get you to buy something. I had stopped seeing him as he did not take my insurance. Did not go to one for years. A friend reccomended one who practices Active Release Therapy (ART), he is completely different. He will concentrate on the problem areas and does not seem to promote other products.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #29
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
I had a protrusion in a disc that caused my big toe to go numb. Luckily the spine doc I went to specialized more in physical therapy and cortisone injections. He mentioned numbness could last a year. Did PT and year later numbness was gone. I wonder if I saw a surgeon first whether he would have pushed surgery or not.

Other comments:

Try sleeping with pillow or wedge under knees.

If looking for chiropractor, try looking for one that works with physical therapists. I was seeing one that practiced holistic medicine too. He always seemed to try to get you to buy something. I had stopped seeing him as he did not take my insurance. Did not go to one for years. A friend reccomended one who practices Active Release Therapy (ART), he is completely different. He will concentrate on the problem areas and does not seem to promote other products.
I had the same experience with a chiropractor that specialized in holistic medicine as well.
He suggested a whole list of supplements and dietary practices that help with inflammation and joint discomfort.
He didn't push his own products though.
I now take fish oil (for inflammation) and Glucosamine (joint support) everyday with my daily vitamin during lunch.
I have no idea if they actually work but with regular stretching (mentioned above) I feel really good.
      05-30-2017, 02:17 AM   #30
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

I'm surprised at some of the responses, especially from physicians. Of course conservative options like rest, stretching, therapy, NSAIDS, and even chiro (gentle, low velocity mobilization) are initial options. However, step 2 is seeing a proper and legitimate interventional pain physician (an anesthesiologist who has completed an accredited interventional pain fellowship) who knows not only medication management but Interventional Pain Management.

Minimally invasive procedures can work better than any of the other options, including surgery. Surgery is the last step and yes, it often does not help long term. In fact, many people are worse long term. PM me if you want more information about what a legitimate pain physician is.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #31
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Weed and yoga
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0