BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Exclamation Reminder Of SEMA’s 2011 statement on aftermarket parts

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011...ermarket-parts

Quote:
In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

The FTC alert may be downloaded using this link: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm.

The alert was issued in response to an FTC complaint filed last August by the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA), Automotive Oil Change Association (AOCA) and the Tire Industry Association (TIA).

Questions? Contact Stuart Gosswein at stuartg@sema.org.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Hmmm. So does this mean its illegal for dealers to flag your car just because you have mods? Ive heard this happening all over the place here in Socal.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

OP, your post originally quoted content that, as far as I can tell, either no longer exists on SEMA.org at the link that you provided, or perhaps never did. If you can find the content you had originally posted somewhere at SEMA.org, please post a link. I could not locate it. The content does appear unattributed in posts on other automotive forums, but those sources cannot be trusted.

I’ve replaced the content from your post with the actual content from the link you provided. Even with that, though, note that the link it contains to ftc.gov is dead.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
Hmmm. So does this mean its illegal for dealers to flag your car just because you have mods? Ive heard this happening all over the place here in Socal.
I don't think flagging is the same as denying coverage so my assumption is there is nothing wrong with making a note that you have don't XYZ to your car.
Appreciate 0