BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Tips on pumping gas

I am sure this will get moved, but i wanted as many to see it as possible

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $4.00 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we deliver about 4 million ga llons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34 -storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the serv ice stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3)stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reaso n for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WI TH OTHERS!

WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels (No 2 to boycott)
< /FONT>
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels (No. 3 to boycott)

Exxon/Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels (definitely #1 to boycott)

Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Su noco..................0 barrels

Conoco..................0 barrels

Sinclair..................0 barrels

BP/Phillips.............0 barrels

Hess.............. ........0 barrels

ARC0.....................0 barrels

If you go to Sunoco.com, you will get a list of the station locations near you.

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.

Last edited by LI E90; 05-01-2008 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Dipdidi
Private
Rep
Drives: none

great tips - but simple to reach millions? I dont know. I'll do my part and paste this in other forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
blakjack23
Major
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
Lots of people know your "friend"

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Icedog_16
No Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Sounds like a chain email to me. I know I've seen the last half of that before. Besides, if you boycott the companies in question, those companies will just end up selling their surplus gas to those companies you switched to to meet the increased demand.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Psylight
Brigadier General
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Teh Space Gray E92 M 6MT

Damn, I should stop getting Shell and start using 76 then!
      05-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
Psylight
Brigadier General
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Teh Space Gray E92 M 6MT

Oh wait, so it isnt true then....damn...
      05-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
Aces_High
Germans do it Best
Rep
Drives: 328i e90+92 , 335i e92,MB E350

Citgo is from Venezuela to be exact....... and Chavez hates "Americans"?.......Perhaps you meant bush.........

plus U.S. fuel economy standards are whacked.......cause in europe gasoline is near $8-$10 a gallon, but theyve got almost 2x higher fuel economy cars......so to all those who think that $4 a gallon is better than $8-$10...........think again
      05-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
eggbone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe E92

Check SNOPES

Check your facts

This information has been a rumination for years.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
SanDiegoBuff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 '08 328i, E90 '06 325i

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/saudigas.asp
      05-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Wonder how much easier it's been to spread false information with the advent of the internet? What's amazing is how people are easily duped and may unintentionally spread false information. Even if it dings their pocketbooks. We all have probably gotten the bubble boy, state trooper, boycott gas, I lease and invest the cash, get better mpgs with premium emails. CNN could do all they can to dispel these falsities, but inevitably someone will see it on a forum and perpetuate. The ol' PT Barnum....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

If this is all true, this is an amazing post. One question: of the gas companies that do not import from the middle east, which ones sell the cleanest gas? I've been using Shell, but I'm curious. Thanks for a great post!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

This is interesting..not sure if I believe some of the figures being thrown around though http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080430/...o7UxayaFes0NUE

Quote:
As U.S. gasoline prices hit records on almost a daily basis, an increasing number of motorists are following a radical driving technique designed to eke out every last mile from a tank of fuel.

Known as 'hypermiling,' the method can double gas mileage, even in gas-guzzling vehicles that would normally get less than 20 mpg.

Promoted on a growing number of Web sites, hypermiling includes pumping up tires to the maximum rating on their sidewalls, which may be higher than levels recommended in car manuals; using engine oil of a low viscosity, and the controversial practice of drafting behind other vehicles on the highway to reduce aerodynamic drag -- a practice begun a few years ago by truck drivers. . . .

The "advanced" techniques of hypermiling are in addition to well-known approaches including keeping speed down, accelerating gently, avoiding excessive idling and removing cargo racks to also cut down on aerodynamic drag. . .

COSTS SAVED

Wayne Gerdes, a former nuclear plant operator from Wadsworth, Illinois, and the originator of hypermiling, said he gets 40-70 mpg out of his Ford Ranger pickup truck, about doubling its official fuel consumption of 25 mpg. . . .

Hypermiling can even make fuel-sipping gas-electric hybrid cars more efficient. Chuck Thomas, 50, a computer programmer from Lewisville, Texas, said he has been getting 71 mpg from his Honda Insight, a hybrid whose EPA rating is 58 mpg, in the two years since he has been hypermiling.

Among Thomas' techniques is "pulse and glide" in which he accelerates and then coasts with the engine off until around 15 mph when he kicks the engine back on and accelerates again. "It's the automotive equivalent of skateboarding," he said.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
CRZ410S
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjack23 View Post
Lots of people know your "friend"

Good job! Way to be on top of it!
      05-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

i always gas up in the morning. good info!

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #15
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda6s

must be an old email fwd because BP and amoco are one company now...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Tip: do not drive away with nozzle in tank.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
AJayE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Tip: do not drive away with nozzle in tank.
lol

[JBE92335i]www.youtube.com/italiombiano
[Black Dakota Leather] [ZSP] [ZPP] [AA Xede] [iconz 830Z] [9500i]
[CF Kidney Grilles] [CF Vorsteiner PD Hood] [M-tech Sides] [Custom AngelEyes]
[Aero Lip] [Painted Reflectors/lowergrilles] [AC/S Roof Spoiler]
Appreciate 0