BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #1
HKgoespewpew
Rep
Drives: 740i

Faults after replacing VC and OFHG

Hello,

After doing quite a few repairs including new valve cover, new oil filter and oil cooler housing gasket, coolant flush(car had incorrect coolant), new spark plugs & ignition coils and new oil squirter (valvetronic) i started the car and had a few codes. First there were around 60 errors including misfiring on cyl 5 and the car was running rough st idling. I realized my dumbass did not connected the ignition coil plug all the way after that I only got a few of them. Can anybody shed some knowledge on the errors. I feel some of them will clear out due to the previous event but the other ones I do not recocgnize. Also, I need a new battery fyi.

Thank you!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 01:09 AM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Do you have ISTA? If you do, run the test plans associated with your codes. It might suggest to run either or both of the Valvetronic Servomotor service functions:

1. Learn End Stops
2. Running-in Phase

I'd also recheck the following:

1. Check ALL injector connectors (dual white wires) for proper connector seating
2. Check ALL coil connectors for properly seating
3. Check ALL coils for complete seating with the spark plugs
4. Check ALL 3 grounds on the injector/coil harness (8mm nut)
5. Clear codes

Post your results again......
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2023, 03:27 PM   #3
HKgoespewpew
Rep
Drives: 740i

Greetings,

I do not have ISTA, I replaced the battery and reseted the codes. I drove a couple miles to the store and tested again and the same engine codes are there along with other electrical codes I am not really worried about. (Missfiring and vanos deact). The car ran smooth not counting when I started the car and was waiting for the engine to warm up a little bit, the rpm dropped to 500 and it sounded like it was about to die but I gave it a little gas and stopped doing it. No check engine light. I was running live data with Carly and it showed the “Output value for motoroel temp” high. But the engine temperature was okay. I am considering that I will have to replace the Vanos motor if i can’t figure out the problem but I do not want to take it to a shop. Carly is very limited as far as this stuff meaning I will need to upgrade my diagnostic tools. I have a mac so I would need to get a used laptop in order to get ISTA, I have also watched a fee videos “BMW Doctor” that states you could do all those test with an autel or similar scanner withoit having to use ISTA. Which way should i proceed, getting ISTA or just an autel scan tool?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:41 AM   #4
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

This response does not invalid my last post.

If you didn't have this issue before you changed out your valve cover, have you reseated your valvetronic connector?

Pull the connector, and verify that you did not drop anything inside the connector (FOD), blow out with air, then reconnect the connector ensure that it is seated correctly.

I'd also check to see if your valvetronic relay is powering your valvetronic servomotor.

BTW, not sure that a battery disconnect really clears any hard codes.
Appreciate 0