BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I got tired of looking at the rusting brake calipers and anti-rattle clips. I can't believe brake parts are starting to rust on a 2012 750Li. I noticed the new 6 series Gran Coupe comes with black painted calipers and I really like the look. After reading lots of reviews, I went with G2 Brake Calipers Paint - Black. I got the set from eBay for less than $40 (covershield is the seller, ships within a week). Other than the kit, I bought a 1" paint brush to cover larger surface faster.

Prep: Jack one side of the vehicle up until that wheel is off the ground about 4in. Insert a jack stand in the cross member support (under the motor) to support the weight so both wheels are off the ground. Remove the front brake anti-rattle clips (not the rear) and the rubber caps from all 4 bleeder valves. Use a dremel with a wire brush head, go over the surface to be painted to remove rust and dirt. Use a scotch brite pad, go over all the hard to reach places that will be painted. Spray the calipers down with the supplied can of brake cleaner and wait for 5min to dry. Tape off (3m masking tape) anywhere you don't want paint on, including the rotors and valves. Mix the paint with the activator as supplied (notice the paint can comes half full, which is by design and it's more than enough for 3 coats in all 4 corners). Stir for 5min to activate the paint.

Paint: Use the smaller supplied brush to outline and hard to reach places (short strokes). Then go over with the 1" brush to smooth things out (long strokes). The first coat will show some non-painted surface. You'll need to paint a total of 3 coats, waiting 15min between coats so alternate left and right side. Remove masking tape after 15min from painting the 3rd coat. (You will paint the clips during the step as well, separated from the calipers). Install the front wheels back without touching the calipers (the clips remain off the calipers for drying). Jack the rear of the car, repeat the prep/paint process as the front but don't remove the clips in the rear. Wait 24hrs, reinstall the caliper anti-rattle clips in front and bleeder valve covers for all 4s. Apply anti-seize on all lugs, and then torque the wheels down at 90-95ft lb per lug.

Remember: Don't wet the first coat, it will cause paint over run. These are self-leveling paint. You can't see details once the wheels are back on. Don't be too hard on yourself to get it perfect. Use good lighting when prepping and painting. You only have 4-6hrs before the paint becomes unusable. One kit is enough, don't attempt to order two unless it will take you 4hrs to do the front.

Here's the end result (first photo is after I remove the masking tape, the clips remain off the calipers for another 24hrs)...
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 05-08-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Looks good! Thanks for the write up!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
Looks good! Thanks for the write up!
Thank you, DBV.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Excellent DIY! Thanks for posting

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr760 View Post
Excellent DIY! Thanks for posting
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
MKBMF01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i f01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I got tired of looking at the rusting brake calipers and anti-rattle clips. I can't believe brake parts are starting to rust on a 2012 750Li. I noticed the new 6 series Gran Coupe comes with black painted calipers and I really like the look. After reading lots of reviews, I went with G2 Brake Calipers Paint - Black. I got the set from eBay for less than $40 (covershield is the seller, ships within a week). Other than the kit, I bought a 1" paint brush to cover larger surface faster.

Prep: Jack one side of the vehicle up until that wheel is off the ground about 4in. Insert a jack stand in the cross member support (under the motor) to support the weight so both wheels are off the ground. Remove the front brake anti-rattle clips (not the rear) and the rubber caps from all 4 bleeder valves. Use a dremel with a wire brush head, go over the surface to be painted to remove rust and dirt. Use a scotch brite pad, go over all the hard to reach places that will be painted. Spray the calipers down with the supplied can of brake cleaner and wait for 5min to dry. Tape off (3m masking tape) anywhere you don't want paint on, including the rotors and valves. Mix the paint with the activator as supplied (notice the paint can comes half full, which is by design and it's more than enough for 3 coats in all 4 corners). Stir for 5min to activate the paint.

Paint: Use the smaller supplied brush to outline and reach hard places (short strokes). Then go over with the 1" brush to smooth things out (long strokes). The first coat will show some non-painted surface. You'll need to paint a total of 3 coats, waiting 15min between coats so alternate left and right side. Remove masking tape after 15min from painting the 3rd coat. (You will paint the clips during the step as well, separated from the calipers). Install the front wheels back without touching the calipers (the clips remain off the calipers for drying). Jack the rear of the car, repeat the prep/paint process as the front but don't remove the clips in the rear. Wait 24hrs, reinstall the caliper anti-rattle clips in front and bleeder valve covers for all 4s. Apply anti-seize on all lugs, and then torque the wheels down at 90-95ft lb per lug.

Remember: Don't wet the first coat, it will cause paint over run. These are self-leveling paint. You can't see details once the wheels are back on. Don't be too hard on yourself to get it perfect. Use good lighting when prepping and paint. You only have 4-6hrs before the paint becomes unusable. One kit is enough, don't attempt to order two unless it will take you 4hrs to do the front.

Here's the end result (first photo is after I remove the masking tape, the clips remain off the calipers for another 24hrs)...

What do you guys think about gold on my car's callipers? Yay or No?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranavf01 View Post
What do you guys think about gold on my car's callipers? Yay or No?
If you're keeping the black wheels, paint them silver. If you're changing the wheels in the future, I would paint the calipers black and get brushed aluminum rotary/forged wheels.

Gold brakes don't look right on a 7, unless they're actuall Brembo BBK.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Hans_ACS
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 740d

Excellent job done!

Q: how do you remove the anti rattle clips ?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_ACS View Post
Excellent job done!

Q: how do you remove the anti rattle clips ?
Thanks Hans_ACS. To remove the front anti-rattle clip, take a large flat head screwdriver and pry it away from the center hub (see photo below). Once that small clip in the "red" circle is dislocated from retaining groove, it will pop off. Hold a piece of card board close to it when you do this, the clip will fly off the caliper.

Once you waited 24hrs for the paint to cure, reinstall the clip. Just note how the clip uses tension and the groove holding the small clip together. I used my hands with a flat head screw driver to assist the clip back in. Be sure to tape the tip of the screw driver with electrical tape to prevent scratches.

Remeber, you can't see flaws once the wheels are back. Don't stress yourself over a little scratch. Touch up with a sharpie if you're really OCD about it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #10
Hans_ACS
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 740d

Thanks for the write-up, will try soon
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

That is well done. I am considering having mine done in Silver.

~ Big Marcus
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
That is well done. I am considering having mine done in Silver.

~ Big Marcus
Silver is nice with black wheels. If your wheels are silver, do black for contrasting.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Update: Still shiny; no rock chips and no salt corrosion (winter driving). Great product.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #14
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thought I posted pics of my painted calipers?

They look fantastic! Highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #15
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Bumping this thread since some asked about painting their calipers.