BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #23
Sherrycanon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I stored my car in ultrastor self storage http://ultrastor.ca/ for three months when I went abroad. They provide a 200 sq.feet temperature controlled area to store the vehicles. They have a gate access with personalized security codes as well as an easy access with convenient driveways when you want to use your car and then store it again. I would suggest that you change your oil if you are planning on storing it for more than a month. It’s usually a good idea to use parking brakes when you keep your car in a storage but if the brake pads makes contact with the rotors for too long then there is a chance that they may fuse. Instead purchase a tire stopper to prevent the car from moving. Most people tend to cancel their auto insurance when their car is in storage. Although it may save some money at first there is a chance that the insurance company will raise your rate due to the gap in the coverage. This can vary based on where you live and who the provider is.So its better to talk with your insurance company to see what all options are available for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 06:59 AM   #24
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrycanon View Post
I stored my car in ultrastor self storage http://ultrastor.ca/ for three months when I went abroad. They provide a 200 sq.feet temperature controlled area to store the vehicles. They have a gate access with personalized security codes as well as an easy access with convenient driveways when you want to use your car and then store it again. I would suggest that you change your oil if you are planning on storing it for more than a month. It’s usually a good idea to use parking brakes when you keep your car in a storage but if the brake pads makes contact with the rotors for too long then there is a chance that they may fuse. Instead purchase a tire stopper to prevent the car from moving. Most people tend to cancel their auto insurance when their car is in storage. Although it may save some money at first there is a chance that the insurance company will raise your rate due to the gap in the coverage. This can vary based on where you live and who the provider is.So its better to talk with your insurance company to see what all options are available for you.
When you put the car in to parking, the parking gear stops the car from moving, no?
I'm not sure how one could keep the brake pads away from the rotors while parked
      07-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrycanon View Post
I would probably reduce my insurance coverage or increase the deductible but cancelling it seems like a bad idea as I don't believe most storage facilities cover your stuff so if you car is stolen or damaged while there you may not be covered.
      07-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #26
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I'd add getting a rubber protection/maintenance product, I use Sonax's rubber care to ensure all of my rubber seals never crease/crack... Use a product that keeps the rubber supple, that way no extra wind noise or whatever when you drive the car again!
      07-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #27
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Also, as an extra theft security precaution, I'd unplug the fuel pump fuse. Some extra piece of mind.
      08-14-2016, 01:27 AM   #28
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

do you guys disconnect the battery from the trunk?
I did this for a month and wasn't able to open trunk until i jump started from the front battery.
      08-14-2016, 06:16 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post
do you guys disconnect the battery from the trunk?
I did this for a month and wasn't able to open trunk until i jump started from the front battery.
OP, for the love of Christ, there is no front battery in any E90. There are electrical battery terminals under the hood used to jumpstart the car, but the battery is in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #30
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, for the love of Christ, there is no front battery in any E90. There are electrical battery terminals under the hood used to jumpstart the car, but the battery is in the trunk.
Oh ok. I read someone's comment on youtube saying not to turn on the engine when jump starting from under the hood.. Is this true?
Its ok to jump start from the rear battery as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post
Oh ok. I read someone's comment on youtube saying not to turn on the engine when jump starting from under the hood.. Is this true?
Its ok to jump start from the rear battery as well?
There are too many dumbshits on youtube... That is completely wrong. The battery terminals under the hood are exactly for jump starting the car, or another car. Read the owners manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #32
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I keep reading this as Verbiage storage
Appreciate 0