BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

MOT Test in UK

I just learned while reading a thread that the UK requires cars to get a MOT test every year. These tests cost about 55 pounds for a car.

What do you UK drivers think about these annual tests? Do they actually make cars safer or are they a waste of money. Is the need or legality of this test every single year ever challenged or are you just used to it?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Cars less than 3yrs old are exempt.

It's waste of money if you look after your car and service it regularly, but hopefully it catches those who don't. It's probably a good thing in grand scheme of things.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Personally, I really like it. It's a terrifying experience, but your car gets a proper health check, it's good value for what it is IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I think this is common practice in the most of europe?
big plus: you dont seem to get the really awkward mechanical disasters that you read so many about on the US fora, where cars are completely neglected on some points due to owner ignorance (like completely sludged up engines and overly worn parts etc).
It's mostly a safety and enviromental checkup, so the complete undercarriage/steering/suspension/brakes are checked and exhaust gasses are checked (to ensure engine health) and lighting etc + leaks.

Where I live if you dont get your MOT, you automatically get a fine after a month or so (about $150 fine)
MOT is either annually or bi-annually depending on fuel type here.

Before there was mandatory MOT here, there was a show on the telly called 'wreck of the road' and that was typical for what you get if you dont make it mandatory.....(but fun to watch)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
russellg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Its a good thing, especially considering that there can be of hidden dangers that dont get picked up as part of everyday servicing.

A good example is brake (break) pipes, they can be corroded to the point of almost failing, but the brakes could work fine. Wheel bearing and suspension joints also get a once over.

Its more of a issue for the cars up in north of the country where salted/gritted roads can be in place for up to 6 months of the year - this really takes its toll on the underbody of unprotected cars.

As I understand it the UK generally has a 3yr warranty on new cars (with the exception of Porsche and Kia), continatal europe has 2 years.

In Ireland its 4 years before a cars 1st MOT is due, in UK is 3 years (2 years for motorcycles)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellg View Post
Its a good thing, especially considering that there can be of hidden dangers that dont get picked up as part of everyday servicing.

A good example is brake (break) pipes, they can be corroded to the point of almost failing, but the brakes could work fine. Wheel bearing and suspension joints also get a once over.
Exactly this, regular servicing isn't as thorough as the MOT

Quote:
Its more of a issue for the cars up in north of the country where salted/gritted roads can be in place for up to 6 months of the year - this really takes its toll on the underbody of unprotected cars.
Not sure I agree with this, all cars in this country are protected on their underbellies, even imported MX-5s are protected in the same was as the UK cars.

Quote:
As I understand it the UK generally has a 3yr warranty on new cars (with the exception of Porsche and Kia), continatal europe has 2 years.

In Ireland its 4 years before a cars 1st MOT is due, in UK is 3 years (2 years for motorcycles)
Tru dat
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I never pay £55!! Just £24 round my way.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 03:08 AM   #8
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I might be wrong but there must an exempt for the cars manufactured before 1958. These cars don't require MOT to drive in the UK, those are in classic status.
I still find it very ordeal having annual renewals, at least biennial schedule should be in actment
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I might be wrong but there must an exempt for the cars manufactured before 1958. These cars don't require MOT to drive in the UK, those are in classic status.
I still find it very ordeal having annual renewals, at least biennial schedule should be in actment

In California, we have mandatory smog tests every couple of years. No other inspection is performed. Every 2 years is doable. I would hate to have to go in every year.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
It's another car tax.

/thread.
^^^this^^^ 100%. it has nothing to do with safety/eco.

In my state, aka "the banana republic of New Jersey"

They had a very compete car inspection, then politics got in the way, State Gov required these inspections station to have Dyno Rollers. They would drive the car on the rollers simulating road conditions. That costed Millions$$$$ and after 2 yrs they abandon the dyno test.......What a waist of money. To make things worse they made private inspection station to have these Dynos$$$ They got taken to the cleaners.
As of few years, the inspection stations have become a joke.
They only plug in the OBD scanner and check for readiness and any emission codes...Thats the only way you fail.
When i was going through the station , the car in front of me had a tail light out! Guess what? the car got passed.
Bottom line: these stations in NJ, need to be shut down. They dont serve anything/anyone anymore.
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
It's another car tax.

/thread.
I think that that is a bit exaggerated. I dont know the exact amount in the UK, but in the netherlands less than £5 per MOT goes to the government (the fee to sign out a car for mot), and for that they have to make the infrastructure that garages can log in and register and do their business.
The rest of the MOT fee is for the labour the garage does.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
The MOT in the UK catches things that people don't. Most women haven't got a clue about cars and as such rely on servicing and MOTs to advise them on low tread tyres, low brake discs, blown bulbs etc. Whereas men take more of an interest, but still a lot of people i work with don't check anything and just rely on the MOT and servicing.

And if there was no MOT i can imagine there would be more death traps on the road. I can guess a fair few people don't bother having their car serviced at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

^do you know how long the annual/bi-annual MOT is mandatory in the UK?

I remember when it became mandatory in the Netherlands for normal cars (mid 80's, I believe '85)), so I saw the transition in the cars on the street that pretty quickly all the driving wrecks were gone. So it definately helps imho. The difference was quite significant.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:

How many years warrany has Porsche and Kia then? here in Norway most cars has 5 years warrany, but Kia has even longer, 7 years.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #15
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
^do you know how long the MOT is mandatory in the UK?

I remember when it became mandatory in the Netherlands for normal cars (mid 80's, I believe '85)), so I saw the transition in the cars on the street that pretty quickly all the driving wrecks were gone. So it definately helps imho. The difference was quite significant.
Cars have to have an MOT on their 3rd birthday, and then annually until they're scrapped.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I remember my Volvo S80 failing its MOT test because the passenger side seat belt showed a few threads shredded. That was an expensive one.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #17
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I remember my Volvo S80 failing its MOT test because the passenger side seat belt showed a few threads shredded. That was an expensive one.
What an irony given the fact that Volvo was first car manufacturer to incorporate seat belts
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #18
Don Molina
not that guy
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 + S2000

if anyone thinks their country/state has it bad with inspections, don't ever own a car (or bike, truck, lorry, whatever) in Switzerland.

It's basically the same test that most EU countries have, i.e. suspension condition (bushings and shocks), brake condition, 1min test drive around the facility, beam pattern, etc.

But on top of that you get that sweet sweet (not really) Swissness that can leave you debate with yourself if the guy is really serious, trolling, or just getting paid some commission by garages so that they will get more business.

It's a pain in the ass, it's relatively expensive because they want the car to be steam cleaned, and it's full of holes if you know what to do.

But at least there is a certain amount of confidence on the roadworthiness of cars driving around you. And that is a BIG deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #19
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
What an irony given the fact that Volvo was first car manufacturer to incorporate seat belts
Oh, it was due to my own doing. I should have mentioned that...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:32 AM   #20
russellg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
How many years warranty has Porsche and Kia then?
I believe Porsche warranty is 2 years, and Kia offer the same in the UK as Norway, 7 years on most if not all of their models.
Appreciate 0