BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #23
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Have you driven one? That might cure you....they're super fun off-road but suck at almost everything on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #24
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
No offroading here and I get a very substantial discount on Chrysler products so it would be new.
I have no idea why anyone would own a wrangler if they intend not to off-road it.

What is the purpose?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #25
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
I have no idea why anyone would own a wrangler if they intend not to off-road it.

What is the purpose?
To drive around and look like you do?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #26
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
Have you driven one? That might cure you....they're super fun off-road but suck at almost everything on the streets.
That's my concerned. Rented one on vacation and it was a POS on the pavement.

Why can't we get SWB Gwagen soft tops here!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #27
MidLifeX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 428i

Quote:
No offroading here and I get a very substantial discount on Chrysler products so it would be new.
As I read through this thread...one thing that stood our for me was the fact that you do not intend to take it off-road? If that's the case I say don't do it! With that said, please allow me to add my 2 cents into this discussions. Jeeps are not cars, trucks, or SUV's. If you are looking for one of those then a Jeep is not for you. Granted Jeep makes other types of vehicles but when we are talking about Wranglers, then Jeep is a total class by itself. Grand Cherokee's and other models are what they are, but when you say Jeep usually most would equate that to a wrangler.

Let me add that having a wrangler has a lot of pros and cons. I can tell you that if you do get one please use it for what it was meant for. Nothing pains me more than seeing modified Jeeps that never see dirt! Couple of things to keep in mind:
1. Having a Jeep and using it at its full potential will bring your more fun than you can ever imagine.
2. If you like to mod your vehicles....be careful. JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket!

If you have any specific questions...please feel free to ask and I'll try to help as much as I can.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #28
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

the aftermarket for jeeps is insane. you'll have a blast.
      07-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #29
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho
Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
Anything made by Chrysler is junk. Wouldn't take one for free.
We've had our Grand Cherokee for almost three years and it was in the dealer one time for a ticking HVAC fan motor. My 135i was in more then a dozen times and even left me completely stranded on my birthday (HPFP). If Chrysler is junk, what does that make my BMW? Toxic waste?
I worked for Chrysler warranty services. I think i know a thing or two about their cars. Cheap pieces of chit with faulty junk parts, recall after recall with unbelievable lists of known issues that many unfortunate customers are stuck with. Like I said, I wouldn't take any of their junk cars for free. I feel sorry for people who buy them.
      07-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #30
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The premise of not buying a car because they won't be used for their intended purpose is a little silly. I owned a Lotus Exige and never took it to the track because the thought of damaging it was nauseating to me. That car is basically the wrangler equivalent of sports cars - completely purpose built. I would argue that the wrangler is 100x more practical than that was but I still loved it.

A cool car is a cool car and since the driving dynamics are irrelevant given my current commute, I think it's an opportune time to try something completely different. My CC is a total dad-car and is probably the ideal commuter (uses no gas, comfortable enough, etc), yet I find myself constantly looking at jeeps.

One thing I haven't heard anyone say is that they wish they hadn't bought a wrangler. Everyone who has them loves them so I want to see what that's all about. Call me crazy...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #31
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Wranglers, particularly the Rubi or Willy's, handle awful, are loud and slow, and generally just lumber around. YOU WILL LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT. They have so much character and personality, something missing from most cars these days in the nanny state. Also, like a golden retriever, are loved by everyone but threatening to none. Wonderful owner community too.
Get one! You absolutely will not regret it. I LOVE my Rubicon (love my TJ too). They hold their value extremely well, are tons of fun, and have shown to be pretty reliable (certainly easy to work on).

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #32
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

I've had Jeeps (Wranglers) in the past and they were great off-road and sometimes semi-fun driving around as a convertible. In the not so distant past I thought it would be neat to get another one to haul dogs and run errands and such knowing that it would be used 95% on the road and then I drove one. I quickly narrowed my such to the 4Runner and Explorer Sport and ended up with the Explorer. If you're set on getting one and it sounds like you are then I'd wait for the turbo engine...should make them a bit more enjoyable in day to day driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 06:18 AM   #33
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Anyone mentioned VW Tiguan?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #34
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I still have a 97 wrangler, it's a solid simple car. It's been somewhat retired to getting me to ski slopes when there's a lot of snow on the ground. Other than the abuse it takes from neglect and the tons of salt on the roads, it's been solid. But it's definitely drives like an off road car that you can take on the streets instead of the other way around. Good for around town driving, kinda shitty above 60.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #35
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I had a 2012 Wrangler 2 door for a little over 3 years and just sold it because it wasn't being used enough. Is it a fun vehicle...absolutely and mine was built by me to off-road and we did it a lot! That being said those same things that made it WAY more off-road capable made it a pain in the ass to drive on the road. 37" tires, 3.5" lift kit, tons of armor all made for a difficult to get in and shitty driving experience but I knew that going in. If you are leaving it stock they aren't horrible to drive and yes you'll have fun with it but you'll also have days where you hate it. Like when you get stuck in a thunderstorm with no doors or top or when you wrestle with the top to put it back on and it tests your nerves because you're having a bad day. All these things are real but that being said you will enjoy it more than you don't. As for not off-roading it, I do believe thats a bit of sacrilege but I get it, I just don't like it especially if you lift it and put 35s or bigger on it. That shit drives me nuts....as do 50" light bars, for god's sake if you get a Wrangler don't get one of those!! LOL. Its a way less risky financial deal than just about any car on the road so if you buy one and end up hating it then you trade it in and you won't take a terrible blood bath. Try and do an extended test drive on a weekend calling for mixed weather. It's easy to love them when its sunny and perfect but rain and wind make it less lovable for sure. Sorry for the long winded answer but this opinion is from someone who owned and used it as a Jeep for a few years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #36
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
I worked for Chrysler warranty services. I think i know a thing or two about their cars. Cheap pieces of chit with faulty junk parts, recall after recall with unbelievable lists of known issues that many unfortunate customers are stuck with. Like I said, I wouldn't take any of their junk cars for free. I feel sorry for people who buy them.
I'm sure if you worked for BMW warranty services you would feel the same way about those cars. You were only seeing the cars with problems otherwise they wouldn't be in contact with warranty services. My Jeep and my BMW have had the same amount of recalls so I'm just not buying it. They had an entire segment on 20/20 or Dateline about the HPFP failures.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #37
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

My friend (who had an M3 CSL for his first car) has a Rubicon and loves it. No worries about potholes, fun with the top off in the summer, etc. I hate driving it on the highway but around town it's a lot of fun.

One caution - be careful when you first start driving it when you get out. I almost blew out my knee because I jumped out of the drivers seat and forgot I was so much higher up than my 235 and expected to hit the ground much sooner than I did.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #38
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Jeep/Chrysler? All you need to look at is the door hinges lol
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #39
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

It seems like you've already made up your mind, so I'll just say good choice.

Most of Jeep's lineup has been suburbanized, but the Wrangler still holds true to its roots. My XJ is about to be hauled away today after being totaled and even though it's a rusty old rig, it's been one of my favorite vehicles.

There really is something addicting about being behind the wheel of a car that feels totally unstoppable, whether it's snow, mud, bumps, or curbs. To anyone who complains about ride quality or lack of creature comforts, you're missing the point entirely. That's like being upset that an M3 gets worse gas mileage than a Prius.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #40
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

But if you do get one, and you seem to be somewhat decided, don't repeat mistake you made with CC, get a proper transmission this time.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #41
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Yeah, I'm set on the manual at this point.

As far as mods go, I'm thinking just 33" tires and new wheels. More of an urban assault/zombie apocalypse vehicle than off-road monster. I live in a flood zone so being able to get out in a pinch would be reassuring.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #42
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I grew up in a Jeep family (Jeepster, Wagoneer, Commando, CJ5, CJ7 & Wrangler).

I have owned a Wrangler and it was SO much fun both on and off road. Is it the best on-road driving vehicle? Of course not, but you already know that. Is it the worst? Not by a long-shot. For me, driving a pick-up truck or a van is worse.

A Wrangler is a different mind-set. Those on here who say it's junk and doesn't drive worth a damn just don't really get it IMHO. "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" is quite well known for a reason. It's not a BMW, nor does it pretend to be one., nor does a BMW pretend to be a Jeep.

What is a Wrangler then? Freedom. It gives you the opportunity to go off-road IF you want to. It also allows you to take the roof and doors off for a truly unique driving experience. I look at it as a four wheel motorcycle in this mode. To be completely in the open with the wind blowing and having a blast - all while going 55 mph or less, because it doesn't matter. One of the best times I had in my Wrangler was getting caught in a downpour with my top sitting at home. What a blast! You can get a hoist system to install in your garage to easily remove the HT. To say that this will become your kids favorite vehicle is more than likely true.

Then there's the 4WD in the winter time. I don't really need to go into this since you already have a JGC (yes, I read all your posts). What is amazing is that the heaters in Jeeps are like super sized because even with a soft top on in the winter time, it's more than toasty inside (again, I know you're going to have a HT).

Of course, the aftermarket for Jeeps is incredible. A buddy of mine is the head of marketing for Quadratec. They're located very close to my house too. http://www.quadratec.com/

In the end, it's a completely different vehicle that serves multiple purposes. It can be a ton of fun both on and off road. It's large enough to carry you, your family and lots of stuff (roof racks can carry a ton of gear/toys).

I'm not sure how it can get any better for a car that not only carries the family, but is also 4WD and has the freedom of becoming the most open top driving convertible you can buy.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #43
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I grew up in a Jeep family (Jeepster, Wagoneer, Commando, CJ5, CJ7 & Wrangler).

I have owned a Wrangler and it was SO much fun both on and off road. Is it the best on-road driving vehicle? Of course not, but you already know that. Is it the worst? Not by a long-shot. For me, driving a pick-up truck or a van is worse.

A Wrangler is a different mind-set. Those on here who say it's junk and doesn't drive worth a damn just don't really get it IMHO. "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" is quite well known for a reason. It's not a BMW, nor does it pretend to be one., nor does a BMW pretend to be a Jeep.

What is a Wrangler then? Freedom. It gives you the opportunity to go off-road IF you want to. It also allows you to take the roof and doors off for a truly unique driving experience. I look at it as a four wheel motorcycle in this mode. To be completely in the open with the wind blowing and having a blast - all while going 55 mph or less, because it doesn't matter. One of the best times I had in my Wrangler was getting caught in a downpour with my top sitting at home. What a blast! You can get a hoist system to install in your garage to easily remove the HT. To say that this will become your kids favorite vehicle is more than likely true.

Then there's the 4WD in the winter time. I don't really need to go into this since you already have a JGC (yes, I read all your posts). What is amazing is that the heaters in Jeeps are like super sized because even with a soft top on in the winter time, it's more than toasty inside (again, I know you're going to have a HT).

Of course, the aftermarket for Jeeps is incredible. A buddy of mine is the head of marketing for Quadratec. They're located very close to my house too. http://www.quadratec.com/

In the end, it's a completely different vehicle that serves multiple purposes. It can be a ton of fun both on and off road. It's large enough to carry you, your family and lots of stuff (roof racks can carry a ton of gear/toys).

I'm not sure how it can get any better for a car that not only carries the family, but is also 4WD and has the freedom of becoming the most open top driving convertible you can buy.
aaaaaaaand yahtzee! Great posts and exactly the feedback I was looking for. This is exactly the mindset I'm in. I don't expect it to be anything other than what it is. Fun!

Now... any thoughts on whether to get the beefed up Rubicon or just stick with a Sahara and spend the extra dough on mods?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #44
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
aaaaaaaand yahtzee! Great posts and exactly the feedback I was looking for. This is exactly the mindset I'm in. I don't expect it to be anything other than what it is. Fun!

Now... any thoughts on whether to get the beefed up Rubicon or just stick with a Sahara and spend the extra dough on mods?
Oops, forgot to mention the model to get.

Since you're not going to be off-roading, just get the Sahara and use the extra cash for mods. The Rubicon is really setup for off-roading and you don't really need to pay for those mods if you're not going to use them.

Even so, if you do some light off-roading, the Sahara will be able to handle it no problem.

This will give you some ideas: http://www.starwoodmotors.com/custom_jeeps.html

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0