BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #45
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
C7 was more of a pure sports car experience. More raw. More visceral. More fun. It also was faster on the track in a meaningful way. Around town the M4 with DCT would have been as fast or faster. The C7 sounded way better.

M4 was easier to live with as a DD and more comfortable. I think of it as the M4 as a fast luxury coupe. The C7 was a sports car.

I miss my M2 and my C7 more than I miss the M4.
Why M2 over M4? I'm leaning M4 b/c more options & nicer inside. No HUD & such on M2 + M4 is a good bit faster than M2 in a straight line. Will be a street car for me

I'm trying to decide what to buy next. Toy that sits half the year like the C7 or get a nice DD that is also fast. Would love to have both, but can only pick 1 car right now. I'm not sure what way to go. Also considering a few other cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #46
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Why M2 over M4? I'm leaning M4 b/c more options & nicer inside. No HUD & such on M2 + M4 is a good bit faster than M2 in a straight line. Will be a street car for me

I'm trying to decide what to buy next. Toy that sits half the year like the C7 or get a nice DD that is also fast. Would love to have both, but can only pick 1 car right now. I'm not sure what way to go. Also considering a few other cars.
The M2 was more fun to drive and sounded WAY better. The M4 definitely had more "stuff" and if that is what you want it's a better car. I personally liked the size of the M2 and how connected I felt driving it. It was not as refined but in a good way. It felt more like a sports car than the M4. Don't get me wrong... I LOVED my M4. In many respects I'd choose it over the M2 in the future because of all of the features, Merino leather, etc. However, if it was only about driving experience than the M2 would win for me. Straight line speed... don't really care because I don't stop light race my cars and the M2 is more than fast enough
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #47
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So today I went to drive several cars.

First, it was a BMW M4. I wish the HUD was nicer & more involved. E60 M5 had a great HUD. The Logic 7 stereo was garbage. So, if there wasn't an option for better stereo from the factory, the M4 is out. Other than that, the car was a blast to drive.

Next, I was off to drive a '12 CTS-V & 2016 Camaro SS. Drove the Camaro & could not get into a comfy seating position no matter what. Also, don't like the vents down low. I drove it in comfort & track modes. Track mode made the car a huge rattle trap. So Camaro is out. If the ZL1 has the same seats, it's also out. Then I asked to drive the V & was told just took an out of state deposit on it. LOL yea right. Too lazy to pull from showroom.

Then I was off to check out an F-Type. Get there & car is not on the lot & no employees to be found. I was told via email right before I left that they had it. **** that place.

Next up was a Charger Scat Pack. Again, they know I'm coming. Oh, it was just sold. **** you too. So I walk over to the Dodge dealer to check out a Hellcat & they are super busy & am told someone will be with me. No one ever was. I walked out.

Now I'm off to see a 2016 S3 that I verified was there. ANother ******* dealer with "We just sold it" bs! Come on, this is not how you treat people. Stop lying about cars being available. GFY.

Then I checked out a '17 Mustang GT Convertible. Cooled seats! I hope what I get next has them. I love em. I liked it a lot more than the Camaro. I kept the top up. Shaker stereo seems good, but that has to be tested with top down to be sure. Didn't seem like Ford wanted to make it easy to select where you want your AC/heat air coming from. I enjoyed driving it. Tried it in track & sport & comfort or whatever it was. Rode nice in all 3. Exhaust note FTW in track mode. I would have to do something with all that silver trim around the vents along the dash. That needs to be Carbon fiber or something.

Finally, off to Audi to drive a 2016 S7 & a new S3. Not sure which I had more fun driving, the M4 or the S7. S7 wins on torque & interior I believe. I don't like how every manufacturer seems to be slapping these app/nav screens in the middle of th dash with no way to retract or move it. Audi screens go into the dash. Point for Audi! The S3 was super fun to toss around and the exhaust note in dynamic mode was bitchin'. I'm also loving the auto rev matching these new cars have. Obviously, the S7 wins on interior vs S3, but I feel the S3 interior is way too cheap for what you're paying. Bland & desolate dash looks like the cheap plastic dash in my Jetta. Put the S7 interior in the S3 & you have a winner. I believe the S3 is FWD based AWD, though. Bleh... I didn't get a chance to see if the stereo is any good. I"m going to have to look up specs on the other S cars to see how they compare performance wise. Might save me some money.

Still need to drive a C7 Vette again & Hellcat again. Once I drive them, I'll know if I'm still in big HP half the year toy mode or time for a really nice fast DD like the S7.

Also, new cars are too damn big & you know you're in a land yacht while driving one! Ugh...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #48
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
So I went through this last year and have posted that I was originally considering trading my tuned 135is for an M2. I really couldn’t find exactly what I wanted. After test driving a Cayman 718 and then a Type S a dealer had used on the lot, it reminded me how much I enjoyed driving a C7 a couple years ago. I found another one I liked and ended up adding the C7 and keeping the 135 as my most of the time daily. You could probably change the tires on the C7 with AS3+ which is what a lot of Corvette forum members d to get three seasons of driving without too much loss in performance. I would say the F Type and C7 are very similar. I would love the Jag too but you get a lot for what you pay for on the Vette which makes it a nice value proposition.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #49
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My brother also loves his S3. It’s a great car especially to have the performance it has at that price point with awd. I would also consider a Golf R since they are essentially the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #50
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Audi S5 Gran or A7.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 10:23 PM   #51
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Toy car: C7 Corvette or F-Type V8 S

Daily driving: RS3
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 12:56 AM   #52
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
So I went through this last year and have posted that I was originally considering trading my tuned 135is for an M2. I really couldn’t find exactly what I wanted. After test driving a Cayman 718 and then a Type S a dealer had used on the lot, it reminded me how much I enjoyed driving a C7 a couple years ago. I found another one I liked and ended up adding the C7 and keeping the 135 as my most of the time daily. You could probably change the tires on the C7 with AS3+ which is what a lot of Corvette forum members d to get three seasons of driving without too much loss in performance. I would say the F Type and C7 are very similar. I would love the Jag too but you get a lot for what you pay for on the Vette which makes it a nice value proposition.
I realy liked driving the c7 but the interior was so badly put together everything was wratling in the car. It would have driven me crazy to DD this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:49 AM   #53
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwv View Post
I realy liked driving the c7 but the interior was so badly put together everything was wratling in the car. It would have driven me crazy to DD this car.
Nothing rattles in mine and the fit and finish is quite good. Was this a used car?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #54
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My brother also loves his S3. It’s a great car especially to have the performance it has at that price point with awd. I would also consider a Golf R since they are essentially the same.
FWD based AWD, though, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #55
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Audi S5 Gran or A7.
A7 over S7?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 09:53 AM   #56
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FWD based AWD, though, right?
Yes that’s true but it’s revised so more power can go to the rear. I really don’t notice the fwd. To be able to do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and hold in the corners the way it does, helps demonstrate how much Audi has improved their Quattro over time. I think it’s worth a drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #57
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
A7 over S7?
More color options with A7, more interior space(seating), considerably better MPG. Extremely similar styling.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #58
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
More color options with A7, more interior space(seating), considerably better MPG. Extremely similar styling.
Don't need more interior space & I'd rather have more smiles per gallon
Color options is something I wish I had more of. A red or blue S7 FTW
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:44 PM   #59
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Nothing rattles in mine and the fit and finish is quite good. Was this a used car?
Yes, test drove used and rental.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #60
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Did some more driving today. First up, was a 2017 F-Type w/the blown 6 banger b/c no local V8 S. It'd take some getting used to looking out the small rear window & those blindspots, oof. I was very impressed with the interior. Even the headliner was leather. Had power adjustable side bolsters on the seats which I love & miss from my previous BMW. That stuff is a big deal for twigs like me that slide around in just about all seats. I like the interior layout and thought the center HVAC vents going into the dash when not in use was cool, but would rather not have that as it's just another thing to break. When resting my hand on the shifter (Automatic) I felt like it might break off in my hand. Obviously, I am exaggerating, but only to get my point across. Overall, I really like it. I'd only buy the V8 S, though. I wish it had cooled seats, though.

Next, I went to Chapman Dodge in Horsham to check out a Charger Hellcat. I was there Saturday, but no one ever helped me so I left. To be fair, they were super busy. I should not have gone back. They refused a Hellcat test drive giving the usual everyone wants them 0 miles. Well, the car did not have 0 miles on it so :rofl: I went to their Ford dealer years ago to check out a GT500 (I drove up in a new CTS-V I had for extended test drive) and they refused a drive as well. Fuck that family of dealerships.

Then I was off to check out a 2017 RS3. Oh man, super fun to drive. No longer considering an S3 thanks to this thing. Same interior, of course. So my same issue with the dash stands. Way too plain and baron IMO. They should have at leather leather wrapped something there. S3 has power seats, but RS3 has manual seats. WTF? Not a deal breaker as you adjust em once & forget it. It was super fun to drive.

Finally, off to check out another S550 Mustang, 2016 C7 Stingray & 392 Challenger. I have driven C7s before, but it has been a while. I didn't even bother driving the Mustang after sitting in the C7. This one did not have the competition seats, but still held me well. I was surprised. Of course, I'd rather have competition seats. Dare I say I felt at home driving the C7. After owning 2 C6 Vettes, maybe I'm just a Vette guy. C7 owners, how is the stock Bose system? If you had/have a C6 as well, please chime in. We all know the stock C6 Bose system is hot garbage. I'm HOPING that is NOT the case in the C7. I like my tunes, I like bass & I like it loud. I was hoping that my decision would be easy & I would just fall in love with something I can daily drive all year. Ugh!

Then I drove a new 392 Challenger w/the auto trans. Holy hell, you know you are in a land yacht. From a dig she wants to light the tires up. Punch it from a highway roll, you feel all the weight. I'm sure the extra 200 HP of the Hellcat solves that. With that said, if driving a HC Charger feels the same as driving the Challenger, I think I'm out. I was afraid I was gonna whack the curb when I parked it in an end spot. For my driving style, I think I need some more nimble. Anyone know if the Charger feels as big as the Challenger?

Dodge salesman was telling me they sold their Demon for $125k & he agreed that there are much better cars for $125k. We also talked about all the videos of the Demon getting gapped. It was fun.

I've got to give another M4 a chance as I think the one I drove either had stereo issues or I missed some settings.

They also have a Trackhawk for $90k if anyone is interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #61
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I made a little pros and cons list to try to help myself. Clearly, it has not and I am insane.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #62
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I made a little pros and cons list to try to help myself. Clearly, it has not and I am insane.
I can almost tell that it's got words in it. Did you use your Motorola Razr to take that pic?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:01 AM   #63
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I can almost tell that it's got words in it. Did you use your Motorola Razr to take that pic?
lol it reads fine. S8+ actually.

Anyway, I put up WTB ads for the cars on my short list. I will buy whatever I find a killer deal on. Makes the decision easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #64
vympel777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540 B58 MSPRT \ F16 5.0 M SPRT

Quote:

Anyway, I put up WTB ads for the cars on my short list. I will buy whatever I find a killer deal on. Makes the decision easy.
Awful pic i would stick with m4. dunno why u have muscle cars in mind. Its kinda odd or may be you posting on the wrong forum
Its performance vs brainless power
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #65
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Maybe you new glasses

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #66
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vympel777 View Post
Awful pic i would stick with m4. dunno why u have muscle cars in mind. Its kinda odd or may be you posting on the wrong forum
Its performance vs brainless power
Or maybe some of us like lots of different kinds of cars b/c we are gear heads?
Appreciate 0