Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
If you can afford to buy a car having never even test driven it... you can afford to just get the S.
Did this with a 335d and our T6 VW California; the former simply wasn't available to test so bought it remotely, the latter is just out so couldn't test it; it arrives in about a week.

Doesn't mean I have any more money though!

That aside, I'm VERY excited about this car; could be a pivotal model.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 02:22 AM   #91
socal619
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

I will try convince wifey to upgrade her 2013 prius for the model 3 lol... or get cert model s w/ a 7 seater... 90D... we see how wifey will say lol...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #92
Duncanp64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: four wheels ... i think

I love it actually - wish I had money
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #93
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Fair enough, I think it might be huge because of the Federal Tax credit of $7500 expiring once Tesla makes 200,000 vehicles.

Also, the option to get my deposit back at anytime is a no risk activity. I personal plan to get a loaded (fully optioned) ride.
This. I stood in line for 2 1/2 hours and I was about the 150th person. I mean seriously, if I get the tax credit in CA it would be $10,000 dollars. That would make the base model about $25,000. That is a lot of car for $25,000., think of it as a commuter for car pool lanes. It will supposedly have a 10 year unlimited mileage drive train warranty! Drive the thing for 300,000 miles!
This. The tax credit is a good benefit. Might end up with 2 cars: a commuter and a track toy.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #94
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
If you haven't pre-ordered as of yet, you're pretty much guaranteed to have your delivery done after 2020.
So probably are the people who did drop $1K for a pre-order spot
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #95
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
This. I stood in line for 2 1/2 hours and I was about the 150th person. I mean seriously, if I get the tax credit in CA it would be $10,000 dollars. That would make the base model about $25,000. That is a lot of car for $25,000., think of it as a commuter for car pool lanes. It will supposedly have a 10 year unlimited mileage drive train warranty! Drive the thing for 300,000 miles!
What is the source of that quote? Interesting....
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #96
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Just discovered the trunk access sucks
They have a tiny trunk its not a true hatchback
this cuts down on the utility a lot for things like
bikes and surfboards, and larger objects.
Hope they have a hatch version like the model S.
You guys who don't live the zero emission lifestyle don't get it.

I'm willing to bet that over 90% of the people who put deposit down are in the top 10% of the wage bracket, if not the top 5. There's a study out by the government that says something to that effect, that more than 90% of people who applied for the $7,500 tax credit earn more than $120,000 per year.

None of these guys have a Tesla as their only car. All of my friends that own Teslas have at least 3 cars in their garage. Heck most of the pure electric car owners I know, even the lowly Leaf, Volt, or Fiat 500e all have at least 2 more cars in their garage. The lack of infrastructure right now doesn't impact EV owners like you all think it does. Need to make a 200+ mile trip? I take my 335D or cash in my rental car credit with Fiat.

And WORST case scenario? I call roadside assist and get towed to the nearest dealership, which always have at least a level 2. Heck for several month I managed a commute to work that exceeded my range. I plug in a level 1 when I get to work on a 120V wall outlet and by the time I leave work I'm good.

The only REAL drawback to EV is that it is DIFFERENT than how we've been driving for the last 100 years. It's not more inconvenient than driving a gas engine.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #97
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

I'm willing to bet that over 90% of the people who put deposit down are in the top 10% of the wage bracket, if not the top 5. There's a study out by the government that says something to that effect, that more than 90% of people who applied for the $7,500 tax credit earn more than $120,000 per year.

None of these guys have a Tesla as their only car. All of my friends that own Teslas have at least 3 cars in their garage. Heck most of the pure electric car owners I know, even the lowly Leaf, Volt, or Fiat 500e all have at least 2 more cars in their garage. The lack of infrastructure right now doesn't impact EV owners like you all think it does. Need to make a 200+ mile trip? I take my 335D or cash in my rental car credit with Fiat.

And WORST case scenario? I call roadside assist and get towed to the nearest dealership, which always have at least a level 2. Heck for several month I managed a commute to work that exceeded my range. I plug in a level 1 when I get to work on a 120V wall outlet and by the time I leave work I'm good.

The only REAL drawback to EV is that it is DIFFERENT than how we've been driving for the last 100 years. It's not more inconvenient than driving a gas engine.
No one lives a zero-emissions lifestyle... Every time you fart or breathe you create greenhouse gasses.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #98
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No one lives a zero-emissions lifestyle... Every time you fart or breathe you create greenhouse gasses.
And all electric vehicles create equivalent emissions to fueled vehicles, displaced so as to add to that suffered by those without sufficient socioeconomic power to avoid the burden.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #99
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What is the source of that quote? Interesting....
I was at the Geneva Motor Show talking to a Tesla representative, he said that Tesla is offering that warranty on the S and that it would be carried over to the Model 3. You prompted me to do a search, I found this blog post from Tesla, but it is old, it states 8 years unlimited mileage warranty. https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #100
dragonsi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

My brother put a deposit down, and he surprised me by putting one down for me too!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #101
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If that were true EVs wouldn't be just 1% of the market. In selected situations EVs work for some people, but in general, they are more inconvenient than driving a gas engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #102
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you stay in range don't see how they could be

If you stay in range don't see how they could be more inconvient.
No stopping at a gas station no maintenance except for tires and
brakes.
I have to agree that this price still appeals to the upper 10 percent
but the average nice car is about 30k now.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #103
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I put in an order on Thursday. I think this car will be superior to the BMW 3 series when our BMW's lease ends. I already own a Model S and never really thought I would get another EV... but I think this car will perform really well, and the tech is light years ahead of any competition (even if it has just the current Model S tech, it would be far superior to a 3 series; and if they actually have a 2nd gen autopilot with this car, then all other cars are toast).

I am not at all an environmentalist or green person. I buy the best car that fits my need (great performance, driving dynamics, with great technology) and budget. The Model S is that car right now. The Model 3 is looking more and more to be another such car.

I guess we are a family moving from one brand to another... Before Tesla, we thought we were BMWers for life. Then last year, I moved from BMW to Tesla, and maybe she will too in 2 to 3 years.

Last edited by zer0cool; 04-03-2016 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #104
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
There's nothing zero emissions about a Tesla or any other EV. Production creates emissions, battery production creates emissions, and (depending where you live) electricity production creates emissions. If you live in an area where electricity is provided by hydro, building that dam certainly created emissions and when you measure habitat destruction it can be anything but environmentally friendly.

In other words, while there is certainly merit to an argument about the overall environmental cost of an EV vs. internal combustion .. don't delude yourself ... Elon Musk is causing environmental damage too!

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 04-03-2016 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #105
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

EVs are highly efficient converting stored energy to kinetic energy; the problem is they just don't carry much of it around.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #106
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I am on the fence but my parents just made the jump. We will see how I feel in the coming months. I love BMW but can't help but feel disappointed that they have nothing that really competes. To me, this is future. I love gas motors but am excited about where things are going. If I decide to go electric (50-50) then I will have to leave BMW.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #107
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
And all electric vehicles create equivalent emissions to fueled vehicles, displaced so as to add to that suffered by those without sufficient socioeconomic power to avoid the burden.
No way, it's more efficient to burn fossil fuel at a jet-turbine power plant (increasingly popular and in place in urban areas, we have several) that is over 65% thermal efficiency, then beam it to your car. The combustion engine is inherently going to have more emissions, because it's nowhere near as efficient and has to burn more carbon fuels to get the same. That doesn't even account for when your energy comes from a source like hydroelectric, tides, geothermal, solar, etc.

You really just don't get it...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #108
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
No way, it's more efficient to burn fossil fuel at a jet-turbine power plant (increasingly popular and in place in urban areas, we have several) that is over 65% thermal efficiency, then beam it to your car. The combustion engine is inherently going to have more emissions, because it's nowhere near as efficient and has to burn more carbon fuels to get the same. That doesn't even account for when your energy comes from a source like hydroelectric, tides, geothermal, solar, etc.

You really just don't get it...
LOL

Yeah, power transmission is completely lossless, batteries charge and discharge without capacity loss, etc.

Keep telling yourself that, the rest of us with actual engineering degrees will continue to roll our eyes.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #109
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
LOL

Yeah, power transmission is completely lossless, batteries charge and discharge without capacity loss, etc.
Never claimed it was lossless, but it's STILL more efficient to do all that I just explained, than burn fossil fuel in a combustion engine in your car.

Quote:
Gas turbines can be particularly efficient—up to at least 60%—when waste heat from the turbine is recovered by a heat recovery steam generator to power a conventional steam turbine in a combined cycle configuration.[27][28] They can also be run in a cogeneration configuration: the exhaust is used for space or water heating, or drives an absorption chiller for cooling the inlet air and increase the power output, technology known as Turbine Inlet Air Cooling.
Like I said, you just don't get it.

Last edited by RM7; 04-03-2016 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #110
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I really don't care about all the green or efficiency talk. I am not a green or environmental person, although of course I would like there to be less pollution. Anyways, the question is - is this a better car? If yes, then buy it.

It's looking clearly to be the better car compared to the 3 series. I think superior to any competitor car; likely with amazing real world performance, dynamics, and overwhelmingly superior technology, and unrivaled cool factor.

The most efficient and clean form of energy generation is nuclear, but people have an irrational fear about it. Whatever, however we get our energy, I just want the best car, and this looks increasingly to be it.

Glad to have a place in line and looking forward to driving it, hopefully in 2018.
Appreciate 0