BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #23
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Sounds like you need to find different hours - clearly you do not want to be working like you are right now, missing time w/family. However this new gig seems sketchy as all get out, so perhaps a bit more forethought about what it is you want to do. The numbers don't quite match, and look like you're going to be riding the margin of acceptability, even if you do well; and why is it that the shop that is so cool they keep their sales staff for forever, is needing to hire somebody [you] out of the blue, with no prior experience? Working on commission is a particular kind of uncertainty that you may also want to consider - for some a thrill, for others a constant gnawing angst.
That's for sure, I definitely need to find better hours.

I questioned the same thing as you (about hiring someone with no sales exp). I went in to look at a quad for my son and saw they had a sign they were hiring. I filled out an application and the receptionist told me to wait a min because the owner was about to finish a meeting and she was gonna ask him if he wanted to interview me on the spot.

We got to talking and hit it off pretty well. I have been going to this place since I was a kid and I am an enthusiast with knowledge about what he sells. That's the only reason I believe he offered me the job.

Thanks for your feedback. You have given me a lot to think about. I would feel so stupid if I took this job and it was a huge step down from what I'm doing now.

So how do people actually make it in this type of sales ?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #24
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

That info changes it for me for the better - some sales positions have a constant 'new guy slot' that is basically a way to get new guys to come in and then pressure their friends/family under the guise of 'training' or just to make early numbers, then when it doesn't pan out they let them go and start over - really just fishing for new blood, not honestly offering a position. And that math seemed sketchy for keeping everybody at 6/wk. Personally I can't stand commission work, but mainly b/c I don't want to 'sell' things - happy to explain it 'til you are sick of me, but not making you sign, those who are good at it probably would not want anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #25
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That info changes it for me for the better - some sales positions have a constant 'new guy slot' that is basically a way to get new guys to come in and then pressure their friends/family under the guise of 'training' or just to make early numbers, then when it doesn't pan out they let them go and start over - really just fishing for new blood, not honestly offering a position. And that math seemed sketchy for keeping everybody at 6/wk. Personally I can't stand commission work, but mainly b/c I don't want to 'sell' things - happy to explain it 'til you are sick of me, but not making you sign, those who are good at it probably would not want anything else.
I feel I'll be very good at selling things and making the sale happen. They have over 300 used bikes on site at any moment, a lot of other dealers don't have that near me.

It's hard for me to understand that there are so many people buying bikes and the like that each salesmen can get over 6 a week. (There will be 3.5 salesmen including me if I take the job). The owner said he sells 80-100 a month during the season.

Decisions, decisions.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #26
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

3.5 salespeople x 6bikes x 52wks /12mos = 91/month. Earlier you quoted 60-100, not 80-100, but even by these #'s it looks pretty close to your break-point. My guess is this follows typical pattern of neglecting the outliers (low months) - I DK Philly specifically, but don't see them selling a ton of bikes in Nov-Feb.

Of course, you are headed into fat season, so if you are going to take a shot, now would be the time to do it, and if you aren't making well over your minimum, you can look elsewhere before you hit the winter doldrums and the cash really gets tight. I don't mean to come off as negative to the idea - personally I think that you are best off satisfied at work (not necessarily happy, but feeling it is more than just a paycheck), and time w/ family is essential (I've gone periods w/o much of it in school, but only b/c I knew I was building to something much better). In my fantasies, when I retire I'll get a job like that, but with vintage cars or a speed shop (used to also include record/hi-fi stereo shop but those are history).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #27
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
3.5 salespeople x 6bikes x 52wks /12mos = 91/month. Earlier you quoted 60-100, not 80-100, but even by these #'s it looks pretty close to your break-point. My guess is this follows typical pattern of neglecting the outliers (low months) - I DK Philly specifically, but don't see them selling a ton of bikes in Nov-Feb.

Of course, you are headed into fat season, so if you are going to take a shot, now would be the time to do it, and if you aren't making well over your minimum, you can look elsewhere before you hit the winter doldrums and the cash really gets tight. I don't mean to come off as negative to the idea - personally I think that you are best off satisfied at work (not necessarily happy, but feeling it is more than just a paycheck), and time w/ family is essential (I've gone periods w/o much of it in school, but only b/c I knew I was building to something much better). In my fantasies, when I retire I'll get a job like that, but with vintage cars or a speed shop (used to also include record/hi-fi stereo shop but those are history).
I quoted the higher 80-100 after speaking with the owner and that's the number he threw out. I had a decently long talk with him today and feel confident in his business and him. He also mentioned he has a lot of untapped potential with internet sales and not having enough people to get back to all the customers that leave info wanting to be contacted back.

I'm gonna go talk to him again tomorrow and hopefully accept the job and finalize the paperwork. Wish me luck!

Thanks tremendously for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #28
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

So what happened?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #29
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaxndapickel View Post
I quoted the higher 80-100 after speaking with the owner and that's the number he threw out. I had a decently long talk with him today and feel confident in his business and him. He also mentioned he has a lot of untapped potential with internet sales and not having enough people to get back to all the customers that leave info wanting to be contacted back.

I'm gonna go talk to him again tomorrow and hopefully accept the job and finalize the paperwork. Wish me luck!

Thanks tremendously for all your help.
Make sure you let us know what brands you are selling. Maybe one of us will buy!

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #30
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Make sure you let us know what brands you are selling. Maybe one of us will buy!
So I'm choosing to go into sales. If it does not work out, at least I tried. I'm actually on my way into my current job right now to give notice.

I'll be selling Honda, Can-am, Sea Doo, and Spyder. And also used products from all brands.

Wish me luck, and thanks for all replies. You guys have helped tremendously.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #31
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaxndapickel View Post
So I'm choosing to go into sales. If it does not work out, at least I tried. I'm actually on my way into my current job right now to give notice.

I'll be selling Honda, Can-am, Sea Doo, and Spyder. And also used products from all brands.

Wish me luck, and thanks for all replies. You guys have helped tremendously.
That must feel kind of nice (giving your notice) - how did they take it?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #32
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
That must feel kind of nice (giving your notice) - how did they take it?
I'll let you know tomorrow how it truly feels. I went in today and all owners had just gone home. But no matter what I need to tell them tomorrow. Even if I gotta call one of them in.

But even though it's not official yet, it still feels like a weight has been lifted. I'm sure im gonna feel 10x better when it's official.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #33
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So it's official and I feel fucking amazing. Looking forward to starting a new job/life and seeing my son more. Idk why I let the money keep me hostage so long.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      05-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #34
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Good luck. It takes guts to do something like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 11:39 PM   #35
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguywithanm3 View Post
Good luck. It takes guts to do something like that.
Thanks for the good luck! I had to do it. I was racking my brain going over all the pros and cons for both for almost 2 weeks. After talking to everyone I knew and anyone that would listen, it was a resounding yes to take the chance. I know so many people who got "stuck" in the restaurant biz and now when they are much older they have no easy way out.

I'm 26 and trying to find my way in life. My family is the most important and that time with them is worth a lot. Gaining this new experience will help me greatly in pursuing even better jobs down the line.

I'll keep this thread updated as my time goes on with the new job/company.
I start on the 10th.
Appreciate 0