BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

07-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
FAM3
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

Question: I need some Tips on what type of Travel Camera/Equipment to get

Hey guys,

Longtime lurker here on this great subforum! Lots of great info and now I have a couple of questions I need some help and tips on.

I am going traveling a lot this summer along with doing a european delivery and would love to take a lightweight camera and some equipment with me that can shoot quality material. Traveling light is very important. I want to put together a commercial type project while I am traveling around so I need the footage to look GREAT. I also have an EPK gig coming up so that will be good to finally have my own camera.

I was considering renting as I always do for shoots locally but I will be traveling for about two months and am considering just purchasing something to have. Maybe even something newer that I can sell used right after I am done with my work. I personally am not a DP/Photographer so I do not plan on using the camera much after my trip. It is going to be a learning experience for me and I am excited about that aspect as well so something with a smaller than normal learning curve. I have worked with Alexa, Red, Sony higher end cameras before on film shoots so this will be my first portable camera experience on my own.

I want a camera that can take photos/stills and video in 4K that looks beautiful raw. Something around $1500-$2000 would be great. So when I come back in post I can get to work on it. I am trying to avoid using Canon 5D DSLR type cameras and get something on the newer side. Also whatever lenses (as few as possible) are needed for a trip where any situation may come up. Even if it is a fixed lens that works for me as long as the range is good enough.

Of course I will bring portable cameras with me such as my GoPro and iPhone 6+ Cameras with me for on the go quick footage/pictures but I want something that can be more than that.

Another two things I want to be able to transport with me easily is a small tripod and slider. Any recommendations for that would be great.

**A couple of cameras/equipment I have been looking at right now:**

Sony A7 II

Sony RX10 version one or two if it can get to me in time

Black Magic Micro Camera - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...rocinemacamera

Manfrotto 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with RC2 Quick Release & 200PL QR Plate -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html

Edelkrone Slider - A bit on the expensive side so something cheaper would be better or if this has good resale value you think.

Thank you for all the help guys I greatly appreciate it and any info you can give me!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I'm a heavy metal Canon DSLR guy, but the Sony gear that you mention gets great reviews. You seem like a serious video guy, so I guess you're used to using sliders and working in a methodical way, as opposed to using a dedicated video camera. Since light seems to be a top priority, I'd say go with one of the Sony bodies or a Fuji, that also gets good review.

We've had a couple of video guys in and out of this forum, so maybe one will chime in.
      07-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

It sounds like you need a Sony A7S. It rocks low light due to it's ff sensor and low MP count and is made for video (also does 4k, i could be wrong but i dont think the A7 II does 4k). The RX10 is big for the sensor size and the blackmagic cameras are not made for stills.

I personally still like lugging around a 5d Mark III when applicable since its good for everything sans 4k and i'm heavily invested in the system. Fuji is good on stills, but the video quality and options are quite lacking.

Panasonic's GH4 is also a top choice for video, and does ok stills (though the small m4/3s sensor doesn't do it for me).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Maybe something more compact yet offering high quality? I've been eyeing this Sony...

Sony DSC-RX100M IV Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX100...words=Sony+DSC
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Maybe something more compact yet offering high quality? I've been eyeing this Sony...

it sounds amazing on paper, and the whole series is excellent. but each iteration gets 200 bucks more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
it sounds amazing on paper, and the whole series is excellent. but each iteration gets 200 bucks more expensive.
The BEST camera is the one, one has with them - when snapping up a moment(memory) in time. For most people that's using your phone. I really like a small camera package(size) that can take high quality pictures/videos.

Also carrying a small light weight camera - lets one fly under the radar. Most people don't give a small camera a second look. That's not the case with a full size DSLR.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
FAM3
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
Good suggestion, I think I have my video camera department setup but still need something for photography. It could be messed up but TECHNICALLY I could get a camera like this and return it by the end of my trip
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The BEST camera is the one, one has with them - when snapping up a moment(memory) in time. For most people that's using your phone. I really like a small camera package(size) that can take high quality pictures/videos.

Also carrying a small light weight camera - lets one fly under the radar. Most people don't give a small camera a second look. That's not the case with a full size DSLR.
It's true, but now you're getting into x100 territory price wise, and while less versatile than the rx100 focal length wise, the image quality and usability are superior.

If money is the issue though, the mark 3 is still a powerful contendor.
Appreciate 0