BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Software Updates?

Are there any software updates for our cars?

Currently, I'm in a 2012 5 Series loaner and when tuning the radio with RDS enabled, the station list continues to group the stations by station with RDS information, if any, to the right of each station, which is 1000x better! - not as in our cars where stations broadcasting RDS information are grouped alphabetically at the top, with no station channel displayed, followed by station channels for stations that do not broadcast RDS information.

Are 2012 7 Series models updated with this new setup as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

This is where BMW shifts back to a conservative methodology.

BMW updates do fix bugs but they almost never add new features.

Why? BMW will not do any kind of software update that will cause the functionality to deviate from the functionality described in that model year's owners manual.

This kind of thinking from BMW is very old school. People expect updates and many new features in software can be added with the existing hardware.

BMW will claim, for sure, that they don't deviate from the owners manual by adding new features for legal liability reasons.

The sad part about this is that BMW fails to understand there is good money to be made in this area. Ask apple! I would pay for new sw features for my car.

Worse, this old style thinking from BMW pisses me off. I bought a new 2011 loaded 750li xdrive in late 2010. The thing has a combox but I can't get the 6nr apps for iPhone without trading in my entire car. This 6nr cane out three months after i bought my car. What a bunch of bs.
Appreciate 0