BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

10-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow I wish BMW would do something like this...

I just watched this video and was thinking to myself... I wish BMW would do something like this... hats off to Porsche!

Appreciate 2
      10-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
If there's one thing about Porsche that I'm envious of is their deep, lasting commitment to motorsport. BMW is no slouch, but just look at the current GT field in IMSA. Sooooo many Porsches out there. I wish BMW would double-down on motorsport, from top to bottom. The M235i Racing is a great program, but IMO, they need to do more.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

BMW isn't a pure sports car manufacturer like Porsche, so I don't expect them to approach motorsport with the same intensity. Really, they never have. BMW doesn't like to go racing unless they know they have a realistic chance at winning right from the the get-go. If they don't, they don't enter. And if they DO enter and don't do well, they pack up and leave.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Guys the Z4 has been busy and now the new 6 series GT3 should be a beast. I'm sure people will notice that.
      10-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Guys the Z4 has been busy and now the new 6 series GT3 should be a beast. I'm sure people will notice that.
exactly, this is the type of racing BMW likes to stick to. When they go outside of their 'comfort zone' (prototypes, F1, etc), they end up hemorrhaging money with little to no success to show for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see BMW go all out, kill it at LeMans and win a WCC in F1. But it won't happen, ever. They seem to be more interested in making four door versions of two door versions of four door versions, FWD minivans, and big bumbling SUVs. They're just not the same manufacturer they were even 10 years ago. They're becoming VW right before our eyes.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B
Quote:
exactly, this is the type of racing BMW likes to stick to. When they go outside of their 'comfort zone' (prototypes, F1, etc), they end up hemorrhaging money with little to no success to show for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see BMW go all out, kill it at LeMans and win a WCC in F1. But it won't happen, ever. They seem to be more interested in making four door versions of two door versions of four door versions, FWD minivans, and big bumbling SUVs. They're just not the same manufacturer they were even 10 years ago. They're becoming VW right before our eyes.
I agree with you 100% on the 4 door versions of 2 door cars The separation of 3&4 series is completely blasphemous to me! However, times change dude! Look at Merc making FWD cars, Cadillacs, Mustangs and Vettes aren't showing much either. Ferrari and Lambo aren't breaking any molds. Fact is all of the series are getting tighter theses days as manufacturers are all returning to 70's thinking, in that Motorsport gains fans and buyers. Porsche is clearly the bench mark but they kinda cater to the race fan exclusively. I mean even the Panamera and the Cheyenne are fast as fuck for their classes. BMW Motorsport is not circling the drain as so many have said here within. They are now purpose building a lot of these lines to make yuppies feel sporty but don't get it twisted......there's still M! They are competitive and to my knowledge the last time they went for a purpose built car (E30) it destroyed. This was a kick in the ass to many companies to catch up. Can anyone name a brand that dominates consistently in any series of racing? Probably not.
      10-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
hey are now purpose building a lot of these lines to make yuppies feel sporty but don't get it twisted......there's still M! They are competitive and to my knowledge the last time they went for a purpose built car (E30) it destroyed. This was a kick in the ass to many companies to catch up. Can anyone name a brand that dominates consistently in any series of racing? Probably not.
Meh, not really. No more bespoke motors, dwindling numbers of manual gearboxes, M badges every 2 inches on every other car, and M cars believe it or not used to be hand built. They're just not special like they used to be.

The E30 reign of terror was almost 30 years ago.

Audi has been pretty dominant in endurance racing for the past 15 years now. BMWs racing niche has been and always will be touring cars. I don't think I need to mention what the 911 has done worldwide.

I know it may seem like it's second nature for a major manufacturer to go racing, but I bet if you sat in on some board meetings you'd see it takes a whole bunch of arm twisting to get a large manufacturer to willingly lose money by going racing. To a manufacturer it's nothing more than the most expensive form of advertising available.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B
Quote:
hey are now purpose building a lot of these lines to make yuppies feel sporty but don't get it twisted......there's still M! They are competitive and to my knowledge the last time they went for a purpose built car (E30) it destroyed. This was a kick in the ass to many companies to catch up. Can anyone name a brand that dominates consistently in any series of racing? Probably not.
Meh, not really. No more bespoke motors, dwindling numbers of manual gearboxes, M badges every 2 inches on every other car, and M cars believe it or not used to be hand built. They're just not special like they used to be.

The E30 reign of terror was almost 30 years ago.

Audi has been pretty dominant in endurance racing for the past 15 years now. BMWs racing niche has been and always will be touring cars. I don't think I need to mention what the 911 has done worldwide.
I'm not aware of any race series that Audi dominates in. DTM....NO, GT Series....NO, I could be wrong but there is no series Audi dominates. The R8 is like 9 years old. Mercedes hasn't done a thing in DTM the last 5 years. I do agree that the M badging has gone mad and overly applied across platforms but the M4 is a beast. It just sounds like a wet fart IMO.
      10-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
I'm not aware of any race series that Audi dominates in. DTM....NO, GT Series....NO, I could be wrong but there is no series Audi dominates. The R8 is like 9 years old. Mercedes hasn't done a thing in DTM the last 5 years. I do agree that the M badging has gone mad and overly applied across platforms but the M4 is a beast. It just sounds like a wet fart IMO.
There is a little known race called LeMans, that Audi seems to be doing well in(for the last decade or so). Just saying...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
There is a little known race called LeMans that Audi seems to be doing well in(for the last decade or so). Just saying...
Ok, not so sure about your facts buuuuuut that is 1. Any other? Either way not an argument, I just like BMW so I'll fight till the death about this.
      10-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #11
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Not only that but should be in Formula 1 and Moto GP,
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, not so sure about your facts buuuuuut that is 1. Any other? Either way not an argument, I just like BMW so I'll fight till the death about this.
You're not sure about his facts? You are aware of a race called 24 Hours of Le Mans, right? It's only been going on since some time around 1923.

When Kyle B said, "Audi has been pretty dominant in endurance racing for the past 15 years now," he was referring to the WEC. If you don't know what the WEC is, then we can't have a conversation. If you're only interested in burying your head in the sand and insisting that BMW is ZOMG #1 4lyfe, then there's not much point.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #13
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
You're not sure about his facts? You are aware of a race called 24 Hours of Le Mans, right? It's only been going on since some time around 1923.

When Kyle B said, "Audi has been pretty dominant in endurance racing for the past 15 years now," he was referring to the WEC. If you don't know what the WEC is, then we can't have a conversation. If you're only interested in burying your head in the sand and insisting that BMW is ZOMG #1 4lyfe, then there's not much point.
I'm aware of the 24 hours of La Mans. I never said I didn't know if it. I've only spoke to what I know and like I already said.....Audi isn't showing "DONINATION" in DTM or GT series. I made no other claim to knowledge about other series as well. What I did say was....."that's 1, name a series other than La Mans". Apparently you cannot read. Another thing....if you love Audi so much and are offended by my CHOICE to stand behind BMW....why are you even on this forum? Some people like Chevy, some Ford and so on. I just don't share yours and others belief that BMW is in the dark ages. I am hardly putting my head in the ground though. I do appreciate your opinion and I hope mine doesn't upset you too much
      10-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
CHUBHAWK
Rep
Drives: Everything

Quote:
i agree GT3 is coming along nicely
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #15
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUBHAWK
Quote:
i agree GT3 is coming along nicely
Yeah I'm super pumped on the new M6GT3! I'm sure whoever the drivers are, they are in for a rough first season. New car and all, it won't be easy. But I'm fairly sure the new whip will be an improvement on the outgoing Z4. Hopefully the motor will make up for the size increase. The Z4 was super nimble, with an S65 in it!
      10-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #16
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Haaaa!
Attached Images

10-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #17
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm aware of the 24 hours of La Mans. I never said I didn't know if it. I've only spoke to what I know and like I already said.....Audi isn't showing "DONINATION" in DTM or GT series. I made no other claim to knowledge about other series as well. What I did say was....."that's 1, name a series other than La Mans". Apparently you cannot read. Another thing....if you love Audi so much and are offended by my CHOICE to stand behind BMW....why are you even on this forum? Some people like Chevy, some Ford and so on. I just don't share yours and others belief that BMW is in the dark ages. I am hardly putting my head in the ground though. I do appreciate your opinion and I hope mine doesn't upset you too much
You're off on some kind of crazy tangent, and I'm not following you down this rabbit hole, because I never claimed anything that would warrant the rebuttal you've posted. You questioned the guy's facts, which are... facts. Facts are easily verifiable.

I'm a BMW fan. I'm sticking with them, even when the field is filled with Porsches. There's nothing wrong with taking a step back and reflecting. No one is shitting on BMW. We're simply calling on them to do more.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #18
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
You're off on some kind of crazy tangent, and I'm not following you down this rabbit hole, because I never claimed anything that would warrant the rebuttal you've posted. You questioned the guy's facts, which are... facts. Facts are easily verifiable.

I'm a BMW fan. I'm sticking with them, even when the field is filled with Porsches. There's nothing wrong with taking a step back and reflecting. No one is shitting on BMW. We're simply calling on them to do more.
Gotcha